Might pick up an FZ6R

jarednt1

I have been riding for a little over a year, and I have enjoyed it great;y. I am starting to outgrow my Ninja 300.

I was contemplating a FZ6R, however I have a few questions.

1. Do you think its a good upgrade from a 300? I use it for commuting, as well as they taking it out on a nice day type thing.

2. I visited a local dealer and they had a 2012 Model with 1200 miles and they were asking $5495, I am curios as to everyone's thought on that price.

I Appreciate everyone's feedback.

MrFrzZ

My FZ6R is my first bike. Period. I've only been riding it for about a month and a half. I'm not ripping and tearing on the bike and I am taking things at a conscious pace to not overload myself, so while I cannot say what it would be like to go from a Ninja 300 to the FZ6r, I do know that the FZ6R is more than capable in twisty roads and the interstate.

With all that being said, and only riding for the minimal amount of time I have been, I WAS intending to transition to an R6 since it is essentially my dream bike after a couple of years of riding, but now am looking hard at the Honda VFR800 Interceptor. But the more I ride my FZ, the more I love it.

2012 with 1200 miles asking 5500 sounds a little steep to me. I picked mine up with 1046 miles for 4400 and it was never dropped, and that was purchased from a dealer. If you're willing to travel, that same dealer has a 2012 in stock with only 715 miles on it for 4999, and you could prbably get them to knock off another hundred.

I dont think you would regret it, but if you really want that supersport stance, I would look more into the r6 realm or plan on modding the bars and suspension slightly on the FZ

Just my .02

Fraze

This was my first "upright" bike...I previously owned a GSXR600, a CBRF4i and I (still have) an 87 RZ350. I wanted something more upright and comfortable for commuting (I commute ~50km each way) and I chose the 6R and after 2 seasons now, no regrets at all. Great all around bike, obviously not hyper supersport power, but plenty when I need it and ooohhhh so comfortable :D

You may find it it a tad heavy coming from a smaller 300 ~100lbs more, but its a very manageable bike IMO. I'm 5'8 160 and have no issues at all.

Good luck whatever you end up getting.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Drennan57

I own both.

FZ is significant step up. I do enjoy the Ninja in town but otherwise it's a toy compared to the 600.

Last edited:
To me it's a terrific do-it-all bike. It's manageable enough for commuting and errand running around town. It's plenty of bike and super enjoyable for some weekend backroad hooliganism. Kitted out right, it makes for a totally decent sport tourer too. I did a couple weekend tent camping trips on it last year and plan to do several more weekend and hopefully at least one longer trip this summer.

So yes, I think it'll be a fine upgrade from your 300. The FZ6R does everything I need a motorcycle to do.

I agree with the others that the price is a bit steep. My 2013 with 3.1 miles (yes, single digits) was $5999 sticker price with clearance price and Yamaha rebate. You should see if you can do a little better on that price but it's not too crazy.

Keep us posted with what you decide!

xorbe

Hello fellow Ninja 250/300 rider! The FZ6R is seriously easy to manage, very smooth throttle. If you are competent on the parallel twin, you shouldn't have any issues with the 6R.

The 6R is a heavier bike than the Ninja (+100 pounds): requires a bit more manhandling around town, but your freeway ride will be quite improved, less getting blown around and gobs of power (relatively).

If the bike feels tall / wide seat, lowering front+rear will also impart quicker/lighter steering, which you might like coming from the little Ninja.

Keep both, they are different machines! :thumbup:

edit: See if the dealer will let you have a test ride, since it has 1200 miles already.

Last edited:

jarednt1

Thanks for the feedback guys. It looks like a 600-6500cc for sure. I spoke with the Kawi dealer I bought my 300 from and they offered me more for my Ninja on a 2016 Ninja 650, making my OTD door price a mere $1000 more on the FZ6R.

Will be looking to see if I can get them down more at the Yamaha dealer

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Drennan57

Thanks for the feedback guys. It looks like a 600-6500cc for sure. I spoke with the Kawi dealer I bought my 300 from and they offered me more for my Ninja on a 2016 Ninja 650, making my OTD door price a mere $1000 more on the FZ6R.

Will be looking to see if I can get them down more at the Yamaha dealer
Thousands of riders have been where you are now. There really isn't a bad choice to be made if the price is right.

For most of us it came down to the perks of the I4 engine.

Bert-Aus

Ideally test ride both bikes on the same day over the same roads to get a best comparison.
Do a bit of all types riding within those tests too, give 'em a squirt and dawdle in traffic

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk