Making your bike show-room shine

MikeN02

Are you guys just applying the waxes by hand and with microfiber cloths, or with polishing foam pads?

PS. Your bike looks sick Mike... ^_^. Can't wait to upgrade...
Being my first time I didn't know that much just read the directions. The Wax came with a sponge...

I used that sponge to apply the cleanser because it's more liquid, then I buffed it out with a microfiber towel. Applied the wax with a microfiber towel and then buffed it out with a different towel.

Thanks, so you're definitely upgrading to a r6 then?

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

ChrisFZ6R09

When I wash my car I use round microfiber applicator pads to apply and use a microfiber towel to buff it off. When I wash the bike down I use 100% Cotton Towels and spray wax.

I'm looking into a Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher for the car....
same here, except for when i wash, 100% microfiber. Terry cloth is good, but i like the dustless microfibers since they have become cheap over the years.

Detrich

i definitely want to, but am holding off until i'm more ready... gonna keep practicing and evaluate as i go. there's nothing like going up GMR to beat the confidence right outta me in a hearbeat... hahahaha xP

SCAR is hosting a free riding seminar specifically on canyon riding technique on March 6. so, i'm definitely attending that... i think i need to just keep practicing and that there's no magic bullet...

you said the transition for you wasn't that difficult right? u had a lot more miles on the bike than me when u upgraded tho...

Thanks, so you're definitely upgrading to a r6 then?

MikeN02

i definitely want to, but am holding off until i'm more ready... gonna keep practicing and evaluate as i go. there's nothing like going up GMR to beat the confidence right outta me in a hearbeat... hahahaha xP

SCAR is hosting a free riding seminar specifically on canyon riding technique on March 6. so, i'm definitely attending that... i think i need to just keep practicing and that there's no magic bullet...

you said the transition for you wasn't that difficult right? u had a lot more miles on the bike than me when u upgraded tho...
My first bike was a Ninja EX500 for about 3k miles, then I got the FZ6-R for 6-7k miles then the R6. Wasn't that difficult, but more of a fun experience. Now I ride a lot of my friends bikes to see the difference such as my brother's F4i. Then again bikes are my only transportation so I ride everyday.

Oh and I also sprayed my brother's F4i down with honda polish. It looks good but not shiny.

Detrich

i c... i'll be lucky if i can ramp up 5k miles by end of winter- at the rate i'm going. :( lol so, we'll see...

back on topic tho... i have a porter cable and variety of Sonus brand car polishes. on a car, polishing with the orbital is not that big a deal- only because you have a large surface area to work with and you can easily use a blower to remove dry powder residue afterwards... but, on a motorcycle... i'm not so sure that would work well with the powder getting into every nook and crevice of the engine. i think hand polishing seems like a safer bet... ?

bmw675

i always use microfiber towels, and in my my opinion, all mf towels are not the same. if you use quality mf's, you virtually eliminate any swirls.
i get into the whole detailing process on both my truck and the 6r, luckily the bike doesn't take near as long. when you are doing 4-5 steps it takes for ever, but the end result is amazing.
for those with either black or blue, try black hole before your top coat of wax.