Make lane splitting legal!

2wheelie

How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good - RideApart - YouTube!

The entire world (well, minus the copycat Canada) allow lane splitting. I don't understand why these narrow-minded politicians can't allow this here as well...
AMA is screaming right and left against the helmet's law, but failing to do anything about this?! You can ride without the helmet in many states, yet can't split... Makes absolutely no sense. :mad:

SurfJunkie

Move to a state where it IS legal :)

Being that i still ride 5 days a week ( put over 11K on my R in less than year ) i split every day. Its actually funny how many cars try to block me from splitting thinking its illegal or god forbid, let another motorist get IN FRONT of them !

BoneJj

Move to a state where it IS legal :)

Being that i still ride 5 days a week ( put over 11K on my R in less than year ) i split every day. Its actually funny how many cars try to block me from splitting thinking its illegal or god forbid, let another motorist get IN FRONT of them !
considering there is only one state wher eit is legal in the US, no thanks...

We need more states where it is legal!

Detrich

Amen. The AMA should be lobbying more arduously for lane splitting.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

2wheelie

it wouldn't stop people from being assholes and road raging on you. As much as it would be nice, the law won't bring you back to life or fix your limbs if they decide to be asshats and retaliate. Sooo in a perfect world, it would be cool. In this world, I'm good with waiting in line like everyone else. :thumbup:
In time drivers would get used with this concept. There always be small-dick bike-hating aholes who're scared of bikes and jealous that you can go by faster, and yet they have to be stuck in traffic... but isn't this is one of the advantages of riding a bike and not a big-ass car or SUV? And if you're waiting in "like everyone else", you put yourself in a bigger danger of becoming a sandwich.

BoneJj

The concept of lane splitting is nice; however, most 4 wheel motor vehicle operators hate the idea because it is like budging in line to them...and even if they were to make it legal in more/all states... it wouldn't stop people from being assholes and road raging on you. As much as it would be nice, the law won't bring you back to life or fix your limbs if they decide to be asshats and retaliate. Sooo in a perfect world, it would be cool. In this world, I'm good with waiting in line like everyone else. :thumbup:
That's where not riding like an asshat comes into play...

I have split lanes a few times in my life, legally... I wont talk about the rest.

But yeah, if you ride like a considerate and cautious rider then it's not an issue. I have family that have been doing it for the last 20+ years in cali and it's never been an issue there at all. My uncle has never had an accident while splitting in over 20 years. It's all about how you do it and do it smartly.

Roaddawg

The concept of lane splitting is nice; however, most 4 wheel motor vehicle operators hate the idea because it is like budging in line to them...and even if they were to make it legal in more/all states... it wouldn't stop people from being assholes and road raging on you. As much as it would be nice, the law won't bring you back to life or fix your limbs if they decide to be asshats and retaliate. Sooo in a perfect world, it would be cool. In this world, I'm good with waiting in line like everyone else. :thumbup:
And, this is the problem, the mentality...What line??? Is the next iPhone or Justin Bieber tickets coming out up ahead of traffic?? Until you've done it on a regular basis, in a safe and prudent manner mind you, you just won't understand and will continue to think it's more unsafe. Having 30,000+ miles in the 2 1/2+ years I was commuting daily into San Francisco...that's just my opinion. :thumbup:

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

2wheelie

I think lane splitting is a good concept, but I won't be exercising it anytime soon even if they make it legal here. Until it's had time to sink in and it's taught normally at Drivers Education in this area.
So you saying that Indiana driver are psychos and road ragers...?

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Kayo7

It's not much better here near chicago either.

Fizzi6ergal

That's what I love about Central Oregon. The only time it gets really busy, is on Friday in the afternoon until about 7pm. But other than that, there is ALOT of open traffic air to breathe here. Lane splitting isn't really necessary here. And if you do get stuck behind someone, there is usually ALWAYS a place to pass them.

Spunky99

All drivers are road ragers and douche nozzles AFAIC.
I've driven around a few places and I think Chicago was the worst.

I lane split every time I ride due to the traffic here. I find a nice place to cruise and when the light turns red I move to the front after the drivers are stopped.
Safer that way.
On freeways it gets pretty overwhelming to split until you get used to it if not doing it every day. The CHP bikers routinely split at 70 to 75 mph with traffic at 45 to 65 mph.

All said I ride with a cam on all the time and if it's a longer ride I bring extra batteries. That way the world can watch my soul rising to heaven when one of the assholes end my life here. Splitting isn't any more dangerous than just riding. Riding in Chicago and other places is suicide.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

jocampo

No thanks!

How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good - RideApart - YouTube!

The entire world (well, minus the copycat Canada) allow lane splitting. I don't understand why these narrow-minded politicians can't allow this here as well...
AMA is screaming right and left against the helmet's law, but failing to do anything about this?! You can ride without the helmet in many states, yet can't split... Makes absolutely no sense. :mad:
I visited CA back in December due a SQL Cluster Project I had.

I was driving the rent car, going early to my office there, and barely saw someone (a rider of course) sharing the lane with me. I swear God I was not going to block him or something, but because traffic jam in front of me, seconds before I thought in changing lane and move left. Thanks God I did not. I probably was going to hit the guy or kill him, because my car was a bit higher than him and I just did not see the guy coming.

Like other said, good concept in paper, too risky for riders in real life.

Bloke

Not risky at all providing drivers know that it happens.

Fact is that rider would have been eyeing you up (or should have) from a ways back. Yeah you can get clobbered but its not that common.

One thing I will say over here in the UK is that we filter a lot slower than the YouTube vids show you lot doing it. I wouldn't dream of filtering through motorway traffic unless they were in a traffic jam and I was doing basically no more than 30mph... Even that's fast tbh.

BoneJj

Not risky at all providing drivers know that it happens.

Fact is that rider would have been eyeing you up (or should have) from a ways back. Yeah you can get clobbered but its not that common.

One thing I will say over here in the UK is that we filter a lot slower than the YouTube vids show you lot doing it. I wouldn't dream of filtering through motorway traffic unless they were in a traffic jam and I was doing basically no more than 30mph... Even that's fast tbh.
agreed, most of the youtube videos are of the asshats that don't know much to begin with. They are just doing it for the shock value of getting hits on youtube.

When done right there isn't an issue but there are others (there always are) that are going to do things without thinking properly. Those are the same ones that would do something else in another state to get themselves killed.

Like I said before, if you do it smartly you can be quite safe and not have any issues at all.