Luggage, Luggage and More Luggage

L

LERecords

are those soft cases...hard?
those are the soft bags from yamaha.. all yamaha branded.. really nice too.. but i think my new givi's are going to be even nicer.... so torn about if i should sell all my soft luggage or just keep it.. probably wont have a need after i put the givis on..

Imamuon

Givi top and side cases

Hi, thought I'd post a pic of the new Givi bags installed - LOVE THEM!

This is the V46 top case with light kit and the V35 side cases.

Lots of room, did well in the rain. Bike handles great, even though a bit more top heavy. Got to be careful not to overload the top case.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Hi, thought I'd post a pic of the new Givi bags installed - LOVE THEM!

This is the V46 top case with light kit and the V35 side cases.

Lots of room, did well in the rain. Bike handles great, even though a bit more top heavy. Got to be careful not to overload the top case.
do you feel alot of drag?

Imamuon

do you feel alot of drag?
Wind effect (side to side) was a little noticeable once I got into the 70 mph range, mostly if I was following a car or truck - could feel the turbulence more, which makes sense because there is more surface to catch the wind. It was not a problem at normal highway speeds. I just hung back a little more to keep out of the wake of the vehicles in front of me.

As for drag, I didn't really notice any...seemed like the bags fit right into the air pocket of the fairing. I can't answer for how they would feel at higher speeds, but I read somewhere on the internet (possibly this forum) a person tested at higher speeds and commented it wasn't bad either, but was probably unsafe to do.

Last edited:

Roaddawg

I just got this one on Ebay for $60. I'm gonna fab up a bracket for the rear seat and take off my saddlebags.

dirklay

Motocentric soft luggage

I just installed saddlebags and a tail bag from Motocentric (purchased from Motorcycle Superstore). They attach together and are very stable. Best of all, I can remove the entire three bag package with 2 bungies for taking all my stuff with me. Great quality, quick shipping, check them out. Excellent video shows how stable they are at speed and how easy to install.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Nelson Rigg CL-100 Sport Tail bag and the SSC-150 Silver Streak Deluxe Sport Saddlebags. They worked awesome for our 900+ mile trip through the Ozark mountains. I had enough room for 4 days-worth of traveling, including clothes, rain gear and tools. The rain covers worked perfectly to keep my stuff dry, as it rained on us a little everyday. Here are some pics.

Attachments

OffTheClock

Wind effect (side to side) was a little noticeable once I got into the 70 mph range, mostly if I was following a car or truck - could feel the turbulence more, which makes sense because there is more surface to catch the wind. It was not a problem at normal highway speeds. I just hung back a little more to keep out of the wake of the vehicles in front of me.

As for drag, I didn't really notice any...seemed like the bags fit right into the air pocket of the fairing. I can't answer for how they would feel at higher speeds, but I read somewhere on the internet (possibly this forum) a person tested at higher speeds and commented it wasn't bad either, but was probably unsafe to do.
I am looking at getting the same hard luggage as you did but may start with the trunk and then possibly add the side bags. Can you tell me what mounting system you used and wehere you purchased it. Much appreciated. Any other suggestions or comments know that you have been using your, is appreciated.

Imamuon

I am looking at getting the same hard luggage as you did but may start with the trunk and then possibly add the side bags. Can you tell me what mounting system you used and where you purchased it. Much appreciated. Any other suggestions or comments know that you have been using your, is appreciated.
I got the standard Givi monokey top and side case mounts that go with the system. I think for the top case it was the FZ364 and for the side cases it was the PLXR364 mount.

Bought my bags, mounts, and had the installation done at Tri City Powersports in Allentown, PA. (same place my husb and I bought our bikes). They did a great job, said it was a little tricky getting the holes for the mounts to line up, which, along with the wiring for my lights and auxiliary outlet made me glad I paid them to do it :D

roadrat

Imamuon

Just wondering what the advantages of hard luggage might be?
1. you can lock them;
2. you can lock them onto the bike

For example, you are on a long multi-day tour. You have all your crap in your bags traveling from one overnight point to another. You stop in the middle of the day for lunch in a quaint little town that you would like to walk around, maybe take a tour of a museum or historic building, or do something else that is out of sight of your bike. It's nice to be able to leave your crap in the bags, locked to the bike, and not have to worry about curious people or thieves rummaging through your stuff while you are out enjoying your afternoon.

Last edited:

Gixerhp

Here is a link to Ventura Bike Pack systems!

We put it on Jens Bike last year, shortly after we got the bike.

I have been using this system for years now on my bikes, and i have nothing bad to say about it!

Other bags such as saddle bags can be used along with the kit!

Yamaha FZ6R luggage, motorcycle luggage, racks, touring | Ventura

Attachments

See red

I have gone on rides with down pours and no wet clothes are nice, dirt, bugs and random crap wash off same as the bike. I had soft bags, ditched em, after coming out and having people just"looking" in them, and in a years time they faded. As a great side effect, if you do drop or lay down the bike there is much less chance of a leg getting crushed, and it may cost a lid or even a bag but it will save you some damage to the bike.

It also allows you to bring soft bags with a tent, or sleepng bags and tie them nicer while sitting lower on the bike.

Gixerhp

I have gone on rides with down pours and no wet clothes are nice, dirt, bugs and random crap wash off same as the bike. I had soft bags, ditched em, after coming out and having people just"looking" in them, and in a years time they faded. As a great side effect, if you do drop or lay down the bike there is much less chance of a leg getting crushed, and it may cost a lid or even a bag but it will save you some damage to the bike.

It also allows you to bring soft bags with a tent, or sleepng bags and tie them nicer while sitting lower on the bike.
I also have gone 1500 miles in 2 days, and showed up with dry items, you need to pack your items in bags. Not a big deal. And yes the bags may fade over the years, but very versatile!
How much did you spend on your hard bags, and mounts,, and does your sport bike still look like a sport bike??
Travelling on a bike, is only as good as the planner!