Lowering the rear end.

thepod

why would you not want to use new springs? The Hyperpro springs are going to be better than stock. Granted they will be more expensive, but it will be a smoother more responsive ride for sure

S

stryken

why would you not want to use new springs? The Hyperpro springs are going to be better than stock. Granted they will be more expensive, but it will be a smoother more responsive ride for sure
Yes and if the shock is mounted the the same way as the FZ6 , there is no bracket or "dogbone" to replace.

thepod

As long as you lower the front and rear simultaneously, there will not be any change in the bike dimensions. Technically, you will be changing the rake and trail slightly, but essentially, it is like compressing the suspension by one inch.

S

stryken

As long as you lower the front and rear simultaneously, there will not be any change in the bike dimensions. Technically, you will be changing the rake and trail slightly, but essentially, it is like compressing the suspension by one inch.
Thats what I thought too. If you lower the front with lowering springs it will be alright but lowering with a fork slide is bad news. Anything over about a 10mm fork raise and its OMG get me off this thing in the twisies. I was shocked at how big of a negative difference a small move can make. If you decide to try it just don't power into the curves the way you're used to or you may find yourself in a lot of trouble FAST!

thepod

Just ordered the combination set of 30 mm lower springs for my wifes FZ6r. Actually they are for the XJ6, but it's the same springs. I'll post an update when I get them installed.

F

FZ1inNH

Just ordered the combination set of 30 mm lower springs for my wifes FZ6r. Actually they are for the XJ6, but it's the same springs. I'll post an update when I get them installed.
Any word yet? I'm curious because I want to drop my wife's new FZ6R at least one inch, and closer to two if I can manage it. She is 5'2" and she can only put the full balls of her feet down. I'd like to get her closer to flatfooting this if possible. I was considering contacting Metisse to see if they had plans for one like the FZ6.

We're also considering a custom seat job to lose some height. I think between a seat, a lowering link (essentially a new lower shock mount) and maybe dropping the triples about 10 MM, we can get her closer and more comfortable. She's OK the way it is but I'm pushing to get her lower.

thepod

Still waiting for them to come in. I ordered them about 1 1/2 weeks ago. As soon as I get them installed I'll post up some pics...

M

MyFirstBike

Just shave the seat down... i'm 5'9" and it ended up helping tons...gain the courage to make the first cut and from there you'll be good..don't place any links on the bike to lower it. I'm sure it'll only be a temporary fix and a long lasting problem in the future..

Or... you can wear really big boots..

F

FZ1inNH

Just shave the seat down... i'm 5'9" and it ended up helping tons...gain the courage to make the first cut and from there you'll be good..don't place any links on the bike to lower it. I'm sure it'll only be a temporary fix and a long lasting problem in the future..

Or... you can wear really big boots..
;) She put on her thickest soled boots and it made some difference. At least they have treads on them and she can get some grip to push the bike.

We are seriously thinking of using Spencers Seat Mods to get hers done but it means she is without the bike until he ships it back. She can always take the scooter to work during that time though. :D

F

FZ1inNH

Also, I took it all apart and gave a serious look at the shock and mounts. There's really nothing that can be done on the bottom but there is room at the top to mod the bracket and move it a bit higher. I might be able to squeeze about 1" out of it. If I do this, I'm going to document it for you all who are looking to lower this bike. I think between the seat and the upper shock mount, we can get her 1.5 to 2" and that is all she needs. Hell, one inch would make a fair amount of improvement for her.

She is OK with it the way it is... right up until she has to back the bike up (without getting off).

M

MyFirstBike

Hey man, after shaving my own seat. It really helped out. I think i got something like 2"-3" down.. and it felt really comfortable.. However, it does take some skillz to cut and sand that foam seat. not sure what the fz6r is made of. It could all be done within 3 hrs at max if you have all the tools, patience and a bbq.. if you need any advice..holler at your boy..:thumbup:

F

FZ1inNH

Hey man, after shaving my own seat. It really helped out. I think i got something like 2"-3" down.. and it felt really comfortable.. However, it does take some skillz to cut and sand that foam seat. not sure what the fz6r is made of. It could all be done within 3 hrs at max if you have all the tools, patience and a bbq.. if you need any advice..holler at your boy..:thumbup:
Any pics of during? Pics of after?

C

Crystal

I am 6' and can hardly flat foot it, I can flat foot on one side only and the other side is about 1-1/2" from touching the heal.. It sucks I am all torso and have VERY short legs!!
No complaining...I am 5'4. It is definitely a struggle. :(

thepod

Got the hyperpro 30 mm lowered springs in a few days ago. Bike goes into the shop on Thursday to put them on. I don't have the time or tools to do it myself, so it may get a little expensive. Should have the bike back by Saturday. I'll post some pics, cost and impressions then.

thepod

Ok,

Let me first say pics are on their way, but the wife is out of town today and she is the point of reference so likely tomorrow (Sunday)

Anyway I got the hyperpro springs installed.
EPM Performance Imports
I ordered them from here Progressively Wound Motorcycle Fork and Shock Springs for high performance motorcycle suspension from EPM Performance Imports

Got them installed at my local yamaha shop.

Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Honda for all of you in the pacific northwest.

Cost
spring kit (front and back), including shipping: $330
part number: SP-YA06 SSC 041 (Combi Kit for XJ-6 08> 30 mm lowered)
the kit comes with rear spring, both front springs and front fork oil, and
installation adjustment instructions

*** Make sure you understand that these springs are for the XJ-6 diversion. It is of course the same bike, just the European version (not fully fairinged). The people at EPM didn't know this. You will have to tell them. Of course, they may know now that I have told them and ordered these. Don't worry, they fit.

Installation: $339 - no issues with that.

Total: $669

Impression: Well, the rear spring is very purple. This may or may not bother you. I think it looks pretty unique, and definitely matches the wife's bike. She likes it

Height - yup, from my prospective the bike feels almost exactly 30 mm lowered. I'm 5'6" and I can now flat foot on it with the seat in the low position. Interestingly the wife can almost flat foot and she is 5'2", so her legs are about as long as mine. (again, pics are on the way tomorrow).

Ride: The ride is definitely stiffer that the stock springs. It is not jarring, actually quite smooth. Since the hyperpros are progressively wound, the small bumps are absorbed easily. It does not dive in the corners as bad and is overall much better handling. That is not to say that the bike ever handled poorly, but this is a more sporty feel. YMMV and of course I'm biased because I just dumped ~$700 into new springs so I want them to be better. But anyway, the fact remains, there is NO upset in the geometry of the bike. Handling, braking, acceleration are all easily manageable and only slightly different than the stock.

Also, of note, the kickstand does not need to be modified in any way. There is still plenty of tilt to the bike while on the stand and I am not concerned about having it fall over. It does take a little bit more conscious effort to make sure the bike is perfectly upright when you go to put the kickstand in the up position as it tends to scrape a little more easily. Just make sure you are balanced and up it goes no problem.

The wife is very happy with the new ride height and is now able to back the bike up while sitting on it. She was not able to previously do this with confidence.

From my perspective, I'm glad she is more stable and comfortable on the bike. Was it expensive - yes. But I view it as a good and necessary purchase. #1 there is no other easy way to lower the bike. #2 you are getting a set of better/higher performance springs out of the deal. If you do not have seat height issues, then it is certainly not worth it. But if you have short legs, this is a good way to go. I would recommend getting the front and rear as a set. Conceivably, you could just lower the front in the triple tree, but I think having a progressive spring in the back and linear springs in the front would be a weird feeling ride.

Again, my apologies for not having the pics today. I will get them up hopefully tomorrow.

If you are having trouble touching the ground; buy with confidence.

Ok pics are up:

Picasa Web Albums - Adam - FZ6R-lowered

F

FZ1inNH

Thank you for the excellent write up as well as being our forum pioneer in the spring kit lowering. My wife cannot flatfoot the bike. She is on the balls of her feet with her thicker soled boots. I think that we will send her seat to Spencer first to see what he can do for lowering without compromising the seat. If that isn't enough, then I now know I have an avenue to pursue. Again, thanks!

I will be installing myself thus saving half the cost. :D Do you know what weight oil they sent with it?

Why do you want to lower it anyway right now it's new give it some time.

F

FZ1inNH

Why do you want to lower it anyway right now it's new give it some time.
:don'tknow: Me or him?

We are doing it for the wives because it is their bikes and they need it.

Give it time? Do you think it is going to lower itself over time? ;)

It is out of necessity, that's all. :thumbup:

I ment give it time for companies to make after market parts for it. Then they will be easy to find. I know a girl who has been tippy toes for 2 years on her R1 and does just fine.