Lowering the front end

jgelack

I'm really thinking about lowering the front end of the bike. This seems like a really popular mod. Can you tell me what the pros/cons would be. Doesn't seem like there are too many cons. If I decide to try this, how far should I lower it? I've seen 1-2 inches, Just not sure how far to go. Would I need to do anything to the rear of the bike? For reference, I'm pushin 250lbs. How hard would it be to return it to the stock position, if I did not like it? I'm trying to give the bike that aggressive supersport appearance, as best I can, and this seems like a step in the right direction. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
From doing mine and others, about 1/2" seems to be a sweet spot.

mdgreene2001

At 250 lbs you don't need to lower it... you're probably already low. Get some stiffer springs instead. Make sure that you test the change and make sure the fairing doesn't bottom out on the fender. I'm down 3/8" and it's plenty enough. 1 1/2" if you use the lowering link.
I wasn't planning on lowering the rear with a lowering link but I was wanting to do the front to 1.5" and do apex clipons... guess I will have to figure something else out... maybe do 4" apex clipons under the tree...

Kdubb223

I have done around 2000 miles with my front lowered 1.5 inches with woodcraft clip ons and have had zero issues thus far... Not saying lowering the front is he safe thing to do. I ride a mix of canyon/street/freeway.

I only weigh 165 so I'm probably not stressing the bike as much as others. Rear shock is at 5.

mdgreene2001

I have done around 2000 miles with my front lowered 1.5 inches with woodcraft clip ons and have had zero issues thus far... Not saying lowering the front is he safe thing to do. I ride a mix of canyon/street/freeway.

I only weigh 165 so I'm probably not stressing the bike as much as others. Rear shock is at 5.
I'm 190 and I'm going to upgrade to racetech first and see how it rides. I care more about handling than looks and I do mixed riding as well.

jgelack

At 250 lbs you don't need to lower it... you're probably already low. Get some stiffer springs instead. Make sure that you test the change and make sure the fairing doesn't bottom out on the fender. I'm down 3/8" and it's plenty enough. 1 1/2" if you use the lowering link.
Looks like I should hold off for now on this mod, at least until I lose some weight. Thanks guys for your advice.

badgerflips

Wife wants it lower as well so I was thinking of the 2" lowering link in the rear and taking the front down by 1.5... She weighs about 105... hoping she'll be ok.

mdgreene2001

Wife wants it lower as well so I was thinking of the 2" lowering link in the rear and taking the front down by 1.5... She weighs about 105... hoping she'll be ok.
factory suspension is set up for her...

badgerflips

She feels she is too short, I learned to ride with toes touching on dirt bikes, but she doesn't feel confident. Sometimes I wish I had bought her a Rebel....

mdgreene2001

She feels she is too short, I learned to ride with toes touching on dirt bikes, but she doesn't feel confident. Sometimes I wish I had bought her a Rebel....
ah. yeah she needs to be able to flat foot it. lowering link and 1.5" drop up front should be fine from what I have researched.