Low-sided tonight...

Cerebus

Coming through a round-about. I may have been going a little faster than I should've, but was by no means driving like an idiot. As I started my lean to the left, I felt the bike start to dip down more than it should have, but I was still going more or less straight. Then the scraping sounds. Then I was sliding on asphalt. Turns out there was small gravel on outside 1/3 of the lane. I didn't see it it going in. Hell, I could barely see it when I went back to check it out afterwards. It was almost identical to the asphalt itself. Left side of the bike took the brunt (pics attached). Lost the passenger peg, the whole fairing, scuffed the engine cover, bent the handle bar over, trashed the mirror, front and rear signal. It hit the curb and flipped up onto the dirt, so I need to take a closer look tomorrow to make sure the wheels and forks are ok. My preliminary inspection looked good. There is a dimple on the tank on the right side. My guess is when the handlebar on the left dug into the dirt, it smacked it hard enough the other way to hit the tank. It's tiny and not a big deal.

Attachments

Cerebus

My Dianese gloves did an excellent job protecting my palm. The plastic slider on the left glove was chewed up, you could clearly tell I slid on it. My old A* gloves had nothing but a little bit of thin padding there. My Alien jacket did well too protecting my forearm. I somehow ended up with a little strawberry on my forearm, closer to the elbow. The sleeve didn't ride up, so my only guess is maybe there was enough friction with the inside material of the jacket itself. I had on jeans, which held up well enough, didn't wear through at all. Boot are just leather Merrel hiker-type. They also slide on the on left outside and held up well. Real boots have been planned for near future.

From the looks of everything, it looks like I slide on my left forearm and palm, then my left butt cheek and left shin/ankle. Other than the little strawberry on my forearm, I am unscathed. Helmet never touched the ground.

Attachments

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Good to see you came out of it ok!

looks like your ride spun out and hit the kerb backwards :(

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BKP

Real glad to hear you're ok... Amazed your jeans held up so well...
Looks like the frame slider kept the engine casing off the asphalt for the most part... Good deal.

But, again, most importantly you're unscathed...

Keep us up on the progress on the bike...

Cerebus

I think the combo of the frame slider and the rear spool did a good job in preventing further damage. Other than the relatively small scuff on the engine cover, the damage to the left side is all plastic. Frame, engine (mostly), swingarm, etc are all untouched.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Motomama

I m sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad you are okay. Thanks for your posting and honesty.

Best wishes on getting her repair.

Toni
Samsung Galaxy S3

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

roundhouse

to reiterate the others sentiment, glad your OK. on my way home I run the rounders to get on the highway every work day. i think i will be more careful as you just never know

Pinarello Rider

OP: Glad you are okay. That is the most important thing. Bikes can be mended more easily than body parts.

Personally, I take more roundabouts, turns from a stop, and low speed turns like a real sissy. Probably annoys the crap out of the cagers, but it's okay - those places tend to pick up and retain more detritus than other spots. The sharp turns will have trailers and duelies drop a tire into the dirt, bringing more material onto the roadway. This awareness probably comes from spending hundreds and hundreds of hours on a roadbike the last few years.

I am far from "comfortable" leaning over very far on *any* public roadway, but the stuff above - I take real slow. Once the bike is pointing straight ahead again, I'll get on the gas.