Low profile windscreen?

new2yam

I know I know - this will hurt in terms of wind resistance. However... I would like to try out something far more low profile as I'm not a big fan of the way the stock one looks. Anyone have any ideas or experience? Something like this pic available? Thanks!

JSP

Super Moderator
I know I know - this will hurt in terms of wind resistance. However... I would like to try out something far more low profile as I'm not a big fan of the way the stock one looks. Anyone have any ideas or experience? Something like this pic available? Thanks!

Not really... I think a low or no screen HELPS the wind. IMO of course. More wind, but its cleaner non buffetting wind. Way better. I've done it on a few of my bikes. I cut the screen down to my desired height. Turns out great.

Do a test, and just take your screen off and ride. See if you like it, then play around with the idea of chopping her down. Not sure anyone makes a smaller screen.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MiniMose

i will post a pic of mine shortly.... i hacked it down to the fairing. love the look.. still have to buff the scratches out... picture coming soon-ish

Last edited:

new2yam

I sure like the idea, and the money saved... But are you all artists? I can't even draw a good looking stick figure.

latony007

f up

yea I pretty much figure that would turn into a disaster if I tried it, all crooked and then I would wind up replacing it anyway! However as mentioned if lower is what you want the only options seem to be cutting it or removing it. no one I have seen makes a shorter one. You can get a smoke fz6r logo screen that's the same height and looks cooler, that's about it.

MiniMose

i will post of a quick how i did it later when i get a chance.

i shake like Michael J Fox... so if i can do it you can too.

new2yam

Thanks MiniMose. MJF - ohhh... :p Come do mine? ;)

JSP

Super Moderator
I just use some painters tape and run it in an arch to make my line. Did mine on the 6R, did my Bandit not too long ago and did Tatty's as well. All came out good.

Some pics of mine on the 6R and Bandit..

Sand just the lip to get it all even and slightly round. Gives it a nice frosted look too.

My bandit had trim on it, so I just reused it. Didnt have to be as precise.

new2yam

I just use some painters tape and run it in an arch to make my line. Did mine on the 6R, did my Bandit not too long ago and did Tatty's as well. All came out good.

Some pics of mine on the 6R and Bandit..

Sand just the lip to get it all even and slightly round. Gives it a nice frosted look too.

My bandit had trim on it, so I just reused it. Didnt have to be as precise.

Damn, REALLY nice work. And you're in Oregon! Make it up to Seattle much? :innocent:

MiniMose

I will say this.. quick way to do it...

Mark two points on each side (use a tape measure, starting from top to bottom) at the length (or shortness you want)

looks like both of us did the same thing, and chop it at the fairing.

take a piece of string and cut it to that length.hold one end at the top and the other have the marker... then just drag... should be pretty straight...

When you cut ( i used a hacksaw slowly, and at an angle), cut a little bit above your mark.

I then took a stripping block and sanded it down straight, then took increasing grit sandpaper and smoothed it out when i was happy with the line.

if you look close in my picture you can see my line (which i have to sand and buff out now)

JSP

Super Moderator
Damn, REALLY nice work. And you're in Oregon! Make it up to Seattle much? :innocent:
haha, thanks. Never been! Wife has been wanting to go up there and check it out. :cool:

wilcya

Couldn't you use a dremel. I am about to chop mine as well.

JSP

Super Moderator

JSP

Super Moderator
not to hijack.. but JSP... what mirror block offs are you using?

I made them myself. Plexi glass from the hardware store. Cut, sanded painted. Drilled two holes and mounted them. :cool:

Little better picture... Painted the screw heads black too.

Last edited: