Lost power during riding?

edvc520

Hey guys, I have started my bike the second time this season.
The first time, everything was normal, and I have done around 30km on it.
Then it sat for two weeks. I have started the bike, rode it for two minutes, then the engine shut off. Gauge, and headlight were still on, I have tried starting the bike again many times but no luck. Eventually, the headlight wouldn't come on too.

Anyone knows what is wrong? Would it be the battery? It is 5 years old, but I did charge it once a month during the winter months.

Thanks for your help!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

I don't care if the battery is good, at 5 years old id just replace it while I had it out. Waiting until the battery actually dies to replace it can be a PITA.

Hey guys, I have started my bike the second time this season.
The first time, everything was normal, and I have done around 30km on it.
Then it sat for two weeks. I have started the bike, rode it for two minutes, then the engine shut off. Gauge, and headlight were still on, I have tried starting the bike again many times but no luck. Eventually, the headlight wouldn't come on too.

Anyone knows what is wrong? Would it be the battery? It is 5 years old, but I did charge it once a month during the winter months.

Thanks for your help!
From my understanding and my experience with my fathers ER6N(naked ninja 650r) his bike would completely shut off when RPMs dropped enough. I changed his old battery then changed the new one again. 3 batteries from different brands all had the same result. I ended up tearing the bike's plastics down until i could only see the main components. Ended up being a short causing discharge to the ground and the battery was not able to charge so it was not able to back up the engine. Fixed the issue and my father has put 2k on his bike since then and not a problem.

If you are not mechanically inclined, i would take it to a professional. If you know what you are doing, take the tank off, inspect the fuel pump connections, fuses under the seat and test your relays. Thats what i would start with.

I don't care if the battery is good, at 5 years old id just replace it while I had it out. Waiting until the battery actually dies to replace it can be a PITA.
Depending on where you live(ie have stable climate) and you do not run down your battery, it could last that long. My '00 Celica has never had a single battery issue and its battery is going on 3 years. and i live in Maryland where the temperature and other factors can make a battery last at most 2 years.

Dont leave lights running, garage keep it, dont do a lot of short trips, etc.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

edvc520

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I have brought the battery to a shop to check, but the battery seems good cranking at 12.88V.

My bike would crank when I try to start, but it won't start.

Fizzi6ergal

Depending on where you live(ie have stable climate) and you do not run down your battery, it could last that long. My '00 Celica has never had a single battery issue and its battery is going on 3 years. and i live in Maryland where the temperature and other factors can make a battery last at most 2 years.

Dont leave lights running, garage keep it, dont do a lot of short trips, etc.
I still have my same battery from when I purchased my bike in 09. Same Yuasa 12B-4. In January, it'll be 6 years on this battery. Still fires up everytime. No hesitations. But then again, I always hook up my Tender too.

WeatherB

Do you hear the fuel pump prime (makes a buzzing noise) when you turn the switch to "ON" and the kill switch is on "RUN"?

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member