Lost Keys

AfDevin86

Title says it all. I lost my keys in a move. I didn't save the key plate. So here are my options. Take the ignition off and take it to the dealer to make a key or call a locksmith to come out and make a key. Moral of the story is keep the freaking key code safe! Also FAIL! :eek:

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

yes, but you have to see a locksmith. I lost the keys to my trailer and had to take the hitch lock over there to get a set made. Took them about 20 minutes, but they picked it, then counted the tumblers with the pick and made me a new set of keys. was pretty amazing.

you'll have to pull off the top triple clamp and unplug the switch from under the airbox, its not easy to take out just the cylinder. I had to drill out the bolts holding it in to get it off. Yamaha rounds the heads off and loctites the bolts in there.

MrGti

Did you call the dealer that sold you the bike? Most dealers keep the key code, or can look them up online. We can do that at the ford dealer I work at. Must have id to prove that you own it befor we will cut the key.

tractorboy

Did you call the dealer that sold you the bike? Most dealers keep the key code, or can look them up online. We can do that at the ford dealer I work at. Must have id to prove that you own it befor we will cut the key.
Im not sure about that, maybe not all dealers are the same but when I picked mine up they made very special mention that this IS the key TAG and DONT LOSE it as we dont even have any record of it. That Key tag is IT.

But never know...They have got to have a way if they wanted to work at it for you and call yami.

Im down to one key too and I have the tag..I just have to get off my butt and get the other made! After hearing this...that will be tomorrow!!

MikeN02

What is this key tag that everyone speaks of? I don't think I've ever seen it.

But from other people who have lost their keys I think you can write down your vehicles VIN number and show it to the dealer.

RandiZ

My dealer wrote the key number on the owners book they gave me and they keep a record of itr in their files.

Sorry about you losing the key. Can't even begin to say how much I've lost or misplaced in moves.

Newmason

Is the key code the little silver bar that came with one of the keys and has a few numbers and letters inscribed on it? If so I almost threw it away!

Newmason

Thank god I didnt throw it away, I was at work when I read about the whole having a key issue made. Whats the purpose of the bar anyways?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

JZIPPOZ

My dealer keeps a record of it in my files with the company and on the paperwork they gave me, they wrote the number down on it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

NYGirl

DANG y'all made me get out of the easy chair (it's raining) and go find the 2nd key, which <phew> has the silver bar attached.
THANKS!:wav: