Looking for a bike cover

cbzdel

So I am moving out of my house at the end of the year into an apartment. It sucks I am losing the garage. With the amount we are willing to spend we can have a rental house in the ghetto or a nice apartment in an upscale area and we chose the apartment.. (We are saving for a home down payment but still no where close)

So now that the garage is out of the picture, I need to get a chain and cover. We are going to live in a fully secure gated community with a guard but i dont want to chance it.

So there is this cover from Yamaha:

My problem with it is, I dont want to advertise what it is, I would rather have a totally blank one, but I want it to fit reasonable snug. Has anyone tried the aftermarket covers and had good results??

Then I will probably get one of these big ass chains and run it though the rear wheel.

neshi

Ill take a pick later today but i use an extra extra large bike cover from sears auto about $20. Fits loose over the bike but comes with two hooks that you cross under the bike. One i clip on to the ring holding the to cables from i don't know where next to and just under the brake and the other on the knob on the kick stand. This keeps the wind from blowing the unit off the bike. I like it, its just one of those extra things I have to do when the bike is being parked at my condo instead of my moms garage.

As for a lock I use a kryptonite series 4 U lock! I find the chin is useless unless you are going to have a dedicated spot to lock it around like a tree or a tall thick fence pole! Otherwise your bike can still be go-jacked away! Also you might want to get the $6 orange reminder cable! It will help you not drive off with the lock on your brake pad. And yes I almost did this once even after i did my preride inspection!

Verranth

I bought a bike cover for mine since I dont have a garage either. I forget what the make was, but will check it out when I get home. It was $100 from the dealer, but fits great and no complaints. Yeah...i probably got ripped off bad. :rof:

GoGreen09

I bought the Trackside cover from a local CycleGear. The medium fits just perfect on our bike. It doesn't quite cover the bike like the Yamaha does. About 2 inches of the back tire shows. What I like about it is that it even hides the Yamaha logo on the bottom of the fairings. Even better, it's only $39.99 retail. I got a discount from a friend on top of that! Oh yeah, it's water resistant. I parked too close to the sprinklers one morning and the bike was dry eventhough the cover was wet.

I also use a U-lock on my brakes since I can't chain it to anything. McLovin posted a disc lock that has an alarm, but I forgot what it was.

jay

your best bet!!

hi guys,
i got my bike's cover from http://www.formosacovers.com
they have two- three different grades, i got mine just for $19.99 plus $10.00 shipping which is not bad. The cover fits snug, it has good quality feel. it even have an extra layer of cloth inside just to protoect the tank from any kind of abbraision, its heat and water resistant.
I got mine in silver/blue/black color so its also more visible in night than just the black color covers, as i park outside my appartment building my nightmare is some crazy drunk kid trying to park his car and hitting my bike not seeing it in the dark.
as for the lock, i got xena disc alarm lock, its better and way too less bulkier than the chains.

hope it works for you guyz too.

Yone

I got a cheap one on ebay that works perfect for me! It's all black, has a couple little vents for air to blow throw (but covered to keep water out) and a storage bag too.

cbzdel

I got a cheap one on ebay that works perfect for me! It's all black, has a couple little vents for air to blow throw (but covered to keep water out) and a storage bag too.
link to which one?

Yone

Verranth

I got this one...for $100
Dowco Guardian® WeatherAll™ Plus Motorcycle Cover

Fits extremely well, really good quality, and I havent burned through it yet, despite my idiocy. On more than one occasion I have covered the bike as soon as I got home, not letting anything cool down for more than the 3 minutes it took to get off the bike, open my car trunk and start covering the bike....(i dont recommend you do this though...neither does Dowco.)

cbzdel

Yone

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator

tractorboy

Just to clarify. What sized covers is everyone getting? One member said the medium fits our bike just fine. What has everyone else bought? Can anyone tell me how a large fits? I still have my stock tail and lights on mine and need to cover for the winter.

Thanks guys/gals for your replies.....

I was thinking large but if the medium fits perfect?

bmw675

i bought this one from walmart Walmart.com: Classic Accessories MotoGear Deluxe Motorcycle Cover: Camping

it was around $40. i keep it parked inside so i mainly wanted to keep the dust off of it, but it seems to have a pretty thick material.
it covers the front tire all the way to the ground and on the back its about 4-5 inches off the ground (just covers the swingarm and sprocket.

24KMACH

I received the Yamaha cover with the FZ6R logo today. Really nice. I keep my bike in the garage but the cover will keep the little critter poop off. :)

F

FZ6R_Blue

This is my Bike lock

Its a master lock cuff and chain. real nice and solid! i only paid $14

Attachments

owldaddy

I bought the cheap cover on ebay for the 6R. While it does fit the bike, it really isn't much protection other then keeping dust off the bike (which is fine, it is garaged). Next time I would buy it a little larger. It fits tight, and I prefer the Dowco cover on my BMW, it is larger and easier to get on and off since it fits loose. If you go for the ebay cover, buy it 1 size larger then what they suggest for the 6R.