Liter bikes

cbzdel

My buddy has an FZ1 and we did a little "race"

From a dead start we were about even until 45-50mph or so then he started to pull ahead and just get further and further away and it was not a contest anymore haha! But he has been riding about 10 years and I am going on3 months so my shifting is still a little sloppy when I get into the higher R's

I noticed that we have ALOT of low end power vs. almost any other bike out there..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that we have ALOT of low end power vs. almost any other bike out there..
That's because we start seeing good power at 4k rpm's. Most other bikes don't start seeing usable power until much higher in the powerband. That is also why our torque seems more than other bikes as well, even if our actual numbers are lower.

Yamaha did an excellent job of making the hp and torque available in the lower rpm's. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Manna69247

I was going to trade up next riding season for an R1, but after test riding a Street Triple R, I've realized that the step up to that is a big enough jump to keep me happy for now. Very fast and light as a feather.
What happened about the Daytona idea?

Manna69247

IMHO: FZ1 & Triumph Sprint ST - to go naked the Triumph Sprint is a awesome choice (not liter totally but...). The reviews in South Africa says R1 is top, GSXr is more comfortable and the Honda CBR is just something special. If price is not considered I will go with the Aprilia RSV4 and the KTM RC8 is just beautiful.

Then again, in South Africa, BMW 800 GS will be so usable.

cbzdel

That's because we start seeing good power at 4k rpm's. Most other bikes don't start seeing usable power until much higher in the powerband. That is also why our torque seems more than other bikes as well, even if our actual numbers are lower.

Yamaha did an excellent job of making the hp and torque available in the lower rpm's. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Thats why everyone on the FZ6 forum made fun of me when I posted about shifting according to the manual hah!! Around town I still shift around what the manual says.. I feel no need for any extra power, and if I gun it at 40 in 6th, I get up and going, not just put along until I get into higher R's like most bikes haha...

MNDZA

What happened about the Daytona idea?
I test rode it and after thinking about it a lot, I decided it was way too uncomfortable for the 95% street riding I'll be doing. But now I'm not sure about the Street Triple either. There are too many choices!

Manna69247

I agree. Daytona - brilliant, but then the comfort thing still suck as with the other super sport bikes. Have you look at the Triumph Tiger - Brilliant! Then again - FZ6R !!! I'm just waiting for the $$$ My FZ6 been bought cash and I want to do the same with the FZ6R. FZ1 is the only one that boggles my mind, but I still have some time...

Bigevildoer

I test rode it and after thinking about it a lot, I decided it was way too uncomfortable for the 95% street riding I'll be doing. But now I'm not sure about the Street Triple either. There are too many choices!
Consider picking up a Ducati 748, 848 or 999.
The 748's out of production, but you can find good used ones (5K miles and under) for about $7-8K. Bike's got AMAZING torque and puts out about 120hp or so IIRC.

The 848's probably what I'm going to next, as I'm not crazy enough to ride a true superbike like the 999.

I'll keep my FZ6R for riding longer distances and taking stuff with (i.e. cottage trips - 200km each way) and use the Ducati as my fun-bucket commuter!

later!

fz6rwolf

I actually like the Triumph Tiger, seat's kinda tall though.