Liter bikes

Howdy! So, I don't plan on stayin on my FZ6R! I plan on upgrading to a liter bike and giving this one to my wife......not for a couple of years anyways! I was curious as to what everyones favorite liter bike is!? I plan on getting either the R1 or the GSXR 1000! I think they are both great bikes! Not a big fan of Kawa or CBR so it makes the decision easier!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Valentino Rossi likes the R1...:thumbup:

Valentino Rossi likes the R1...:thumbup:
Rossi is awesome, but I'm going for Lorenzo! Poor guy, Rossi keeps beating him torwards the end of the race! At least their team is in first and second place! I would be rooting for Colin Edwards (have to support the Texan!) it doesn't look like he will win it! He could get third though!

joloy133

Any liter bike has plenty for us. It comes to looks, fit, and what you want to do with the bike. If I go to a liter bike, the Ducati and Aprilia are in the mix, cuz
I'll look good, feel good, and rip it up.................yeah!!!!!!!!!

SLAMF

I plan on going with the R1 myself. GSXR's are everywhere. I don't like being like everyone else.

fz6rwolf

I was behind a GSXR today and we both had slowed to almost a halt when car in front of him turned left. When he got clear he hit the throttle and went like a rocket. I hit mine fairly hard but even if I'd given it full he'd have still left me in the dust. Those things are wicked fast, I don't need that much power ever.

MNDZA

I was going to trade up next riding season for an R1, but after test riding a Street Triple R, I've realized that the step up to that is a big enough jump to keep me happy for now. Very fast and light as a feather.

I plan on going with the R1 myself. GSXR's are everywhere. I don't like being like everyone else.
I actually see alot more CBRs than I do GSXRs! The CBRs are like Mustangs! Everyone has one! I can agree though! You don't see as may R1s!

shreveport1

The infamous Kz 1000 was'nt as fast as the so called beginner bike fz6r...I just don't understand why 130mph on two wheels is a chick bike??? Did I miss something somewhere????? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBSiF4Hou_A]YouTube - STOCK 1980 KZ1000[/ame]

fz6rwolf

Yeah, I've pushed the 120+mph and it's plenty fast to go on 2 wheels thank you very much. I only do 2-up short distances so that's not a concern either. Someday maybe I'll add another cruiser just cause the GF likes them and it'll do ALL the 2-up and FZ6R will be my every day do anything ride (like it is now). Went out yesterday (when I followed that Gixxer that little bit) for another get lost and make my way home ride of not quite 100 miles and this bike is just so comfortable and fun I think a liter bike would tire me out and just wouldn't have the fun factor so much (except the few times of really wringing it out which wouldn't be often).

Funkmaxtor

I ride with a few friends that have litre bikes and I can tell you there is a big difference. I'm talking about two GSXR's, an R1, and a Ninja ZX10R. We hit the twisties pretty hard and I'm in 3rd and 4th gear most of the time and they are running in 2nd. For two main reasons. I have a lot more low end torque and they just have more horsepower.

If I were to buy a big bike I would go for the R1 or (maybe) the CBR. I like the idea of ABS. For twisties that could save your butt!

No matter what you get, just remember that just because you have that power doesnt mean you need to use it all the time.

joloy133

Hello FunkM; Can you keep up with those liter bikes in the twisties or if not, is it the experience factor? Have any of your buddies run with your bike? I run solo for now so am curious to hear about the group experience.

cbzdel

I would do the R1 or FZ1.. Who knows maybe YAM. will make a FZ1R which could be kinda nice... Make it look like an R1 but more upright position :)

The only reason I would want a liter bike is just because I use my bike for commuting, and it would be nice to have lower rpms on the freeway...

Funkmaxtor

When the guys hammer it in the straights I have a hard time keeping up. In the turns I would be just fine (if not better) if I had more experience. The torque this bike has is definitely a plus on keeping up. I notice that I spend a lot more time shifting than they do but that is just because they can out REV me. I would have no problem keeping my 6R and riding with the bigger bikes.

joloy133

Thanks for the insight, I thought you'd be with them in the curves. At least you don't have to down shift as much heading into the turn. I usually drop 2 going in to something tight and trail brake if at all pulling through, HP for the straights can not be denied. Stay safe even though the revs get into your blood!!!!!!!;)

KelownaKeith

I know it's technically not a "litre bike" although it has a litre motor, I really like the Truimph Sprint ST. Kind of a Sport-Touring-Sport bike with 125HP. Looks comfy, looks beautiful and has lots of torque from the triple that all the reviewers seem to cream over. I've never ridden one but the specs are impressive.

btastarsky

I ride with 2 liter bike guys, and a 600cc guy. The two liter bikes are a cbr1000rr and a gsx1000r. Both have exhaust upgrades, and the cbr has a pcIII and repsol racin fairings (several pounds lighter than stock):Sport::Sport:. The 600 guys has a Kawi ZX636r, also with an upgraded exhaust. I can easily keep up with these guys in the twisties. Especially the gsxr guy cuz he rides his brakes through downhill curves. Keeping up became even easier when I had the 1000 mile service down and I could rev the engine out more. I think I can actually exit faster than the cbr because of the better torque production of the 6R. My only gripe is that the guys jack with me about my stock exhaust sounding like a weedwacker. As soon as money permits, an Arrow system and pcIII will shut them up.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/images/smilies/sport12.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

joloy133

I ride with 2 liter bike guys, and a 600cc guy. The two liter bikes are a cbr1000rr and a gsx1000r. Both have exhaust upgrades, and the cbr has a pcIII and repsol racin fairings (several pounds lighter than stock):Sport::Sport:. The 600 guys has a Kawi ZX636r, also with an upgraded exhaust. I can easily keep up with these guys in the twisties. Especially the gsxr guy cuz he rides his brakes through downhill curves. Keeping up became even easier when I had the 1000 mile service down and I could rev the engine out more. I think I can actually exit faster than the cbr because of the better torque production of the 6R. My only gripe is that the guys jack with me about my stock exhaust sounding like a weedwacker. As soon as money permits, an Arrow system and pcIII will shut them up.

If you're committed to an exhaust upgrade, consider the graves motorsport full titanium system. They do serious work with Yamaha Racing and the R&D is there. They cost more but this exhaust mod is #1 for performance. Not sure this bike is the one to build a serious rocket though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn316

The new R1 looks fantastic; haven't ridden it, but it's fairly comfortable to sit on. It's still a pure sports bike, so it's not as comfy as the FZ6R, but it's more performance based. If I could get my skills up in the next year or two that'd be the liter bike I'd get.

I'm curious how good the R1 is on the street. I saw a used 2009 in a dealership up in Marietta. It had less than 300 miles on it and the owner only had it for 10 days before he returned it. The salesman said the guy didn't like it, but didn't go into specifics. But I've heard/read some complaints including the exhaust heat is supposedly unbearable, the slipper clutch doesn't last long, and coolant spillage from excessive heat. That gives me pause about getting one now (if I had the skills to ride that beast), but I'm sure all that can be addressed with mods.

MNDZA

I'm not doubting the ability of the bike because I obviously know what it's capable of, but how did you manage to keep up, even in the twisties, with a 600 and two 1000s while still doing your break in? I understand we have decent low range power, but that story is hard to believe considering the low revs you're supposed to keep it at during that time.
Also, a CBR1000RR has more torque than our bikes so I don't get what you're saying about our bike having better torque production.

Last edited: