Listen to music while riding? Then get these headphones!

iSpoolin

Alright guys, so i've never really been a fan of riding and listening to music. However here lately I had been trying it when I was just going out for a cruise and not to ride hard.

However I HATED riding with earbuds. They were uncomforable, fell out, and had to be way to loud to hear anything. Plus I missed my ear plugs. So I started to seek out a GOOD pair of headphones that I could just mount in behind my helmet liner.

I found plenty of them that would fit back there, but most didn't have a quick disconnect, or they were just plain shitty sound quality. I've bought about 10 pairs of headphones in the past couple of weeks LOL

However I stumbled across the Skullcandy Home Brew Kit the other day and decided to try them. Considering my earbuds are SC and they sound AMAZING, expensive for earbuds, but worth it. However the Home Brew Kit is actually made for skull candy's line of hoodies that have the speaker pockets.

They are Flat, semi large diameter headphones that looked perfect for the job. Quick disconnect equipped so you can just unhook the cable from the back and leave the headphone in the helmet all the time.

So basically I pulled my headliner back and slid these up behind around where my ears go in my helmet. (I have a Scorpion EXO 1000)

Now my liner still snaps down, fits perfect, etc etc. I slid the helmet on and at first you can tell they are there, but after about 5 minutes you completely forget about them. I hook them up to my iphone and didn't even have to have it at half volume to be able to hear the music nice and crisp. Also I was able to still wear my ear plugs, so the wind noise was non existent.

Truly happy with them, and for 20$ shipped you can't beat em!

These look great for riding, however, what about canceling the wind noise? I thought the whole idea of using earbuds was to enjoy music while protecting your ears from harmful dB levels. Are there other ways to reduce the wind noise?

I don't mean to hijack your thread.

iSpoolin

These look great for riding, however, what about canceling the wind noise? I thought the whole idea of using earbuds was to enjoy music while protecting your ears from harmful dB levels. Are there other ways to reduce the wind noise?

I don't mean to hijack your thread.
Earbuds are actually more harmful to your ears. The fact that you have to turn them up to where they are actually a HIGHER DB level then the wind to hear them is not a good thing. With these headphones you can still wear ear plugs (which actually protect your hearing) and have your music.

Home Brew Kit -- Here's the link to save you the Google search ;)
Here's the link to get them for 20$ shipped: Skullcandy Home Brew Beanie/Hoodie Speaker Kit White/Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

rr_double_rr

I did this for a while, too, but didn't like that as I took the helmet on and off that the cord was scraping the styrofoam. I had mine set up to when I rode without a linking cord there was no way to tell anything was in the helmet, no dangling wires or plugs. I had the black set of those from REI and liked them for the most part. Another small detail was that they slightly changed the shape of the padding and how the helmet fit, and after a full day of twisties I was really feeling it. Not a headache per se, but definitely feeling it and not comfortable. I sincerely hope you fare better.

I have a pair of Sony in ear phones now that stay in place when riding, although they do tend to slip out of ear when I remove the helmet but I'm usually removing them at the same time anyway. They are a dark grey, although may come in other colors, that have a strong wrap around the ears, and a phone that sits in ear but broadcasts towards the front of my head. They also have a little extension that comes out through the gap between my lobe and that piece of cartilage that the phones broadcast into. That keeps them in place and the sound coming to the right place. That way I don't have to fiddle with volume or worry about them popping out while riding and being seriously uncomfortable until I stop.

These; [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J10-Headphones-Non-Slip-Design/dp/B00007EDM8/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318596820&sr=1-24]Amazon.com: Sony MDR-J10 H.Ear Headphones with Non-Slip Design (Blue): Electronics[/ame]

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

rr_double_rr

I miss that about the iPhone. I changed to droid recently and the headphones I had before could do that on the iPhone. They remote the sound to my ears fine, but the voice capture is still with the microphone on the device and not on the dongle by my neck. It sucks. Oh well.

ajskillz13

I miss that about the iPhone. I changed to droid recently and the headphones I had before could do that on the iPhone. They remote the sound to my ears fine, but the voice capture is still with the microphone on the device and not on the dongle by my neck. It sucks. Oh well.
That's an issue with your headphones, not the phone... my Beats earbuds work off the mic by my neck. The only thing that doesn't work without iPhone is the volume control.

I have a friend who works for Klipsch and she said they are finally developing an Android friendly pair of buds. Might get to test them!

rr_double_rr

That's an issue with your headphones, not the phone... my Beats earbuds work off the mic by my neck. The only thing that doesn't work without iPhone is the volume control.

I have a friend who works for Klipsch and she said they are finally developing an Android friendly pair of buds. Might get to test them!
That would be awesome. I thought it might be the buds, too, but they work just fine on my girls' iPhone 4. Not so much on the Droid. Mine were a pair of Sennheiser (sp?) or something like that. For remoting the phone functions like that I got a new generation MOTOROKR set up. The in ear, around the head, bluetooth setup. It's pretty sweet, but won't work under a helmet. Besides, I'm not trying to take a call while riding, I just want to hear if I need to pull over and call her back to see what's up.

RACreative

I modified some sony earphones

I modified a set of sony earphones.. great sound... removed liner of helmet and ran wiring under all the padding... added some velcro to the backs and they fit perfectly in the ear pods of the helmet... cant beat the sound quality of the sony either. here are some pics... (dont mind the dirty liner... summers in havasu are 120º+) :)

Attachments

amg14

I love my music. Music/driving/riding are three of the most relaxing things I can do. So being an audiophile I did a lot of research and came up with these iphone compatable earbuds.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XMA7U0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/180-9753340-6522944]JVC HAFR50B "Marshmallow" with Mic and Remote Headphones (Black):Amazon:Electronics[/ame]

They are great. I can utilize all my iPhone commands with the mic such as voice control (starting playlists or making calls on the go), as well as adjusting the volume, playing, pausing, next track, previous track pause. They are the same as the apple headphones but offer a marshmello sound tight seal which is perfect for riding. I listen to my music at 1/4th volume with great clarity and music representation. The sound is great considering the price of these headphones.

When I'm geared up I put these in my ears and then slide my helmet on and then wrap the cord around the chin strap twice before looping it through the locking mechanism and that prevents the buds from being pulled from your ears, which I HATE, when u have ur helmet on.

Last edited:
I bought a pair.. Not because my earbuds don't work... My helmet is tight enough where the liner pushes the buds with a little too much pressure causing my ear to have pain over like 30 minutes or more of riding.

AngryAnt

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good (for the money) cheap bluetooth headphone set that's rechargeable? I'd like to not have wires, maybe listen to to music a little, and be able to hear my GPS, but I don't really want to drop $150 - $200 for the actual bluetooth helmet sets since I'm not going to send / receive calls or talk to other riders. I do have an iPhone.

AngryAnt

I love my music. Music/driving/riding are three of the most relaxing things I can do. So being an audiophile I did a lot of research and came up with these iphone compatable earbuds.

JVC HAFR50B "Marshmallow" with Mic and Remote Headphones (Black):Amazon:Electronics

They are great. I can utilize all my iPhone commands with the mic such as voice control (starting playlists or making calls on the go), as well as adjusting the volume, playing, pausing, next track, previous track pause. They are the same as the apple headphones but offer a marshmello sound tight seal which is perfect for riding. I listen to my music at 1/4th volume with great clarity and music representation. The sound is great considering the price of these headphones.

When I'm geared up I put these in my ears and then slide my helmet on and then wrap the cord around the chin strap twice before looping it through the locking mechanism and that prevents the buds from being pulled from your ears, which I HATE, when u have ur helmet on.

Broken link, just fyi :)

See red

I use the SURE 400 series, it uses designated tweeters mid driver and a woofer. The sound is unreal, but even the 100 series is better than the sony or even the bose at a hundred bucks.

I don't ride with them often, bbut they have a memory foam that is densee and when you put them on you don't really hear a dam thing going on around you. Hence I love them, but don't wear them or any music for the bike.

To each their own, enjoy.

amg14

Broken link, just fyi :)
Made that post from my iPhone on my drive to Chicago (no I wasn't driving). For non-mobile devices: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XMA7U0?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1]Amazon.com: JVC HAFR50B "Marshmallow" with Mic and Remote Headphones (Black): Electronics[/ame]

miketriebsch

I use head phones similar to ear buds but these block out all the outside noise and they have a microphone so ive been known to answer the phone on the interstate lol.

TigerGenetics

Expensive for ear buds? $20?? I use a pair of $80 Klipsch ear buds and those are only mid-grade.

On topic, thanks for sharing that!! I need to replace my helmet speakers and this seems to be ideal.

I just got these in the mail today. I absolutely dislike them.. Maybe it's because my helmet is too small.. I put these in the helmet and it just feels like a giant circular disk is squeezing against my head....

How are you guys installing headphones in your helmets??