Lighting the FZ6R Jewel

adazine

Premium Member

TexanFZ6R

Do you have a bulb number? Is there a place to plug in that connector or did you wire it into something else?

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Great job! I think I will do this next time I'm taking my fairings off. A couple of questions: This is essentially an accent light correct? Do you run it as a daylight running light anytime the bike is on? Does it throw any usable light at night,and or does it change how your high or low beam throws light?

Is it bright enough to cause any issues riding behind someone at night? Is there an opportuniy to use as an add-on to the high beam, something that is way bright... or is it just too small an area without the reflector to do it?

So you would just buy the yellow after doing this?

Do you have a link for the socket you used?

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Thank you. I am interested in your electrical other mods, like the alarm. Electrical mods I've done: installed a switch for my Power Commander fuel map selector, Power Commander with speed sensor and USB accessible without taking anything apart, a volt meter, USB/accessory outlets, gear indicator, weight saving Lithium Phosphate battery and charger cable, and a LED headlight bulb (that made riding at night a joy in comparison to the OEM bulb).

That bulb on Ebay looks like it has one wire coming off it. Is that the hot/positive lead? Where does the negative wire attach, is it the base of the bulb itself?

Is the switch you have a simple open/closed switch, you don't need a relay? What gauge wire do you recommend.

I assume that the bulb is far enough away from the clear plastic lens that it won't melt it? Or is the LED relatively cool?

I have had all my fairings off several times, but never took off the headlight assembly. So, that entire headlight-front fairing bodywork comes off as a unit based on your pics? Do you have to take off the lower fairings first?

Attachments

sti491

I looked up that type of bulb base and found out the wire is indeed the positive lead and the base is negative, where a screw with a negative wire normally holds the base in, and a clip holds the square area on the bulb base.

I have a open/closed switch already installed for my fuel maps that I will not need soon, as I found one power commander map meets my needs. It's over by my accessory plugs on my top small fairing cover just beneath the left bar grip. Those are connected to an ignition switched power wire from the left turn signal, the DRL wire that is powered up 100% of the time the ignition is on. Do you think it will work to connect this new light to that power source instead of the headlight wire? I am assuming that would be fine. I already have everything I need right there.

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

$49 Idea gear indicator for Yamaha, Amazon. Not too hard to install, although instructions are incorrect. The in-line connectors are in tight spots. The speed sensor wire to tap is hard to find, but there are good web references how to do it. I love it!

So far so good on the lithium battery. Pretty expensive, but a major weight savings. That and my exhaust change I had a 15lb weight savings, more or less.

I soldered on a negative lead to the bulb then used shrink tubing to keep the leads together. LED bulbs don't draw a lot of current so 18ga wire is sufficient. They do have the ability to get hot but not enough to melt the plastic, just make sure it is firmly in place when installed. I'll post more pictures of the other mods I've done as time allows. I normally remove everything when I work on the bike just to have a clear view of what I'm working on. The headlight fairing has that one screw behind the instrument cluster that was a challenge to take off, I don't use it anymore and glued a pin to line it up when I put the fairing back on. It's a relatively easy bike to work on and fun to mod. Where did you get your gear indicator? Was it difficult to install? I also want to get the Lithium battery !

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

7th gear searching is the EXACT reason I put it in. All of the gear indicators only show the gear when the bike is moving, or reving a certain amount. So it won't say "1", sitting at a stop sign. But it will going pretty slow. I really didn't like searching for 7th all the time! Lately I have also been using slowing for a 90 degree corners at an intersection without a stop. 3rd gear seems perfect for that. A quick glance is perfect to verify. It's really a great feature romping on the mountain twisties too. Nice KNOW I'm in 4th or 5th, vs up or downshifting leaned way over and upsetting things catching it wrong. I love it. Can't wait to light up the jewel! I ordered the light.

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Just ordered an Encore M1 2-way security system. I liked some it's features after researching. It includes a baby LED that flashes when the system is alarmed so people can see it, if you put it on the upper fairing pieces or dash somewhere. It's easy enough to install.

I am wondering though, is it a good idea, or a bad idea to advertise the security system is "on"? Would some passers-by stay away if they saw it, vs. "lets mess with to it see if goes off"...

I guess I am leaning towards installing the LED. Sounds like you are in the business and I would like your opinion please.

Thanks ! I plan to do both before this spring - the gear indicator is an absolute need, I keep wanting to shift into seventh gear !

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Thanks for the alarm advice. Great job on the gear indicator mount. Have you ridden with it yet? I think you will like it. What do you use to cut the hole for it, dremmel? It looks great!

Most of the time people want to know how the alarm works. I like the alarm to deter people from sitting on the bike when I'm at work. I put a mercury tilt switch under the seat so when the bike goes upright from the stand position the alarm will go off. Mount the led, it's good to let people know the bike is alarmed. Never had a problem with people messing with the bike when I'm out.

I just finished installing the IDEA gear indicator. I did a press in fit into the instrument shroud so that I can pop it out when needed. The bar behind it keep it in place nicely.

View attachment 39645

adazine

Premium Member

adazine

Premium Member

TexanFZ6R

Most of the time people want to know how the alarm works. I like the alarm to deter people from sitting on the bike when I'm at work. I put a mercury tilt switch under the seat so when the bike goes upright from the stand position the alarm will go off. Mount the led, it's good to let people know the bike is alarmed. Never had a problem with people messing with the bike when I'm out.

I just finished installing the IDEA gear indicator. I did a press in fit into the instrument shroud so that I can pop it out when needed. The bar behind it keep it in place nicely.

View attachment 39645
Love it! I didn't like the thought of just sticking it somewhere.