Learned something new.

MDRaven0223

I've been in the US Navy for coming on 20 years. Since I can remember it has been a requirement for service members that ride to take the MSF Basic Rider course. While this is a good start it turns out that the Navy and Marine Corps lose more Sailors and Marines to sport bike accidents each year than they do in combat operations. Because of this the Department of the Navy contracted MSF to develop the "Military Sport Rider Course" and has made it mandatory for Sport riders. It was able to attend it today (and get paid :D).

It was a great course and I learned a lot. The one item that I can say stunned me when it came to improving my cornering is "Trail Braking". It goes against a lot of what is taught at BRC but is invaluable and makes an immediate difference, just takes a little getting used to. Another item that was hammered in is the importance of staying on the balls of your feet. Didn't seem natural to me but I am finally comfortable and actually feel better in that riding position.

micigniter

I've been in the US Navy for coming on 20 years. Since I can remember it has been a requirement for service members that ride to take the MSF Basic Rider course. While this is a good start it turns out that the Navy and Marine Corps lose more Sailors and Marines to sport bike accidents each year than they do in combat operations. Because of this the Department of the Navy contracted MSF to develop the "Military Sport Rider Course" and has made it mandatory for Sport riders. It was able to attend it today (and get paid :D).

It was a great course and I learned a lot. The one item that I can say stunned me when it came to improving my cornering is "Trail Braking". It goes against a lot of what is taught at BRC but is invaluable and makes an immediate difference, just takes a little getting used to. Another item that was hammered in is the importance of staying on the balls of your feet. Didn't seem natural to me but I am finally comfortable and actually feel better in that riding position.
I dont believe for one second the military loses more ppl to motorcycles than the decisions of idiot politicians and deadly weapons and bombs. No way you can convince me.

Roaddawg

I took the MSF course at Travis AFB back in '95. Can't beat being 'required' to ride a motorcycle for two days and get paid to do so!

JonKerr

Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

owldaddy

I was in the Navy during Nam, I can believe it, in fact I saw more death of sailors come from accidents by our side then the enemy inflicted on us. The USS Higbee incident was a lucky break for us, no one was killed when a 500# bomb got dropped on mount 53 by a mig. However sailors are a young and reckless bunch, sometimes they ride like their ass is on fire. Ask me how I know. I still have the scorch marks. I was lucky to have survived my fireroom experience as well. Things blow up, and it isn't always the bad guys who do it to you.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

MDRaven0223

I dont believe for one second the military loses more ppl to motorcycles than the decisions of idiot politicians and deadly weapons and bombs. No way you can convince me.
OK, would rather keep politics out of this one and please notice I said Sailors and Marines. Turns out the stats I quoted were only partially correct. It was just the Marines that had a higher fatality rate due to motorcycle accidents than combat operations. Combat is what Marines do, what they train for and are extremely good at. Motorcycles... not so much. Since the MSRC has been running the fatalities have dropped. Here are some other articles.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/marine.motorcycles/index.html

Military Motorcycle Deaths

I believe I have some other stats at work and will see if I can dredge they up.

MDRaven0223

In a somewhat related question, Since you are in the military have you ever seen one of these Deisel/JP8 KLR 650's?? And do they really run on Deisel?? Can't imagine they are all that quiet.. Just curious...

Nope, never ran across one but I'm a little removed from where I imagine you would see these. Wouldn't mind trying one out though. :D