Leaning toward FZ6R as my 1st bike

JoshF

Hi All,

I'm leaning toward an FZ6R as my 1st bike. I am between it and the Ninja 650R. I really like the look of the FZ6R over the Ninja and like it in black. Local dealers are offering very good deals.

Do you think this is too much bike for a beginner? I am 34, 6'1". I have taken the MSF course and will have another 8 hours of 1 on 1 instruction next weekend.

Also, what do you think on colors? I am leaning toward black but also like blue.

joloy133

This would be a great bike for you. Lots of information to support that when you search. You could get test drives now when you pass the course. 2010 models coming so deal on 09's, no change in FZ6R's.

flyingminno

I started out with a 600 as a new rider and was 5"9. So as long as you watch the throttle control, keep alert and safe, it would be an exciting beginning step. Though if it's your first bike, I strongly recommend frame sliders.

gearhead

Before I bought the FZ6R, I was looking at the Kawasaki Ninja 650R and the Suzuki GS650F. IMO, the Zuki looked very dated, the Kawa is a great bike, but the Yami just had that "perfect look". It's a very nice bike and has the media world praising its merits as both an "entry-level" bike and also one that experienced riders can enjoy. I have to agree. The power band is very user friendly. With ANY bike you decide, just dont get cocky or over-confident. Keep it in control and you'll be fine.

I do conour with flyingminno and recommend frame sliders (recommend these: Motorcycle Race Stands, Sliders, Spools, Chocks) Newbies and experienced riders alike have done something boneheaded (forgot the kickstand?) and dumped the bike in the garage. Cheap insurance.

Test ride is the best thing to do. Find a bike you feel most natural on. Good luck!

amirw

Hi All,

I'm leaning toward an FZ6R as my 1st bike. I am between it and the Ninja 650R. I really like the look of the FZ6R over the Ninja and like it in black. Local dealers are offering very good deals.

Do you think this is too much bike for a beginner? I am 34, 6'1". I have taken the MSF course and will have another 8 hours of 1 on 1 instruction next weekend.

Also, what do you think on colors? I am leaning toward black but also like blue.

The best deal i found in our area was at OTD cyclesport in Burlingame (Near SFO)

Believe me i checked them all in the bay area, so give them a shot
good luck and be safe

fz6rwolf

I also was between the 650R, GSX650F and FZ6R, not as a 1st bike because I've been riding off and on since 1978 but the looks and most importantly the feel of the FZ6R I liked most as my 1st "sport bike". Very easy to control, fairly light but will get up and go when you want it to, comfortable position for an all day ride also. Whatever you decide welcome to 2 wheels.;)

NoDoze

I too had my choice narrowed down between the Kawasaki Ninja 650R and Yamaha FZ6R. All though the reviews showed Kawasaki and other entry level motorcycles to have a higher power curve, I chose the FZ6R for the other praises the other bikes didn't get like: ride comfort, adjustable ride height and handle bar, linear power band and nice looks :D The other negative is that it's a little bit more expensive than the Kawasaki Ninja 650R but the FZ6R's quality and detailing more than makes up for it :D

This motorcycle inspires confidence! My motorcycle experience only goes as far as riding a scooter and later a Yamaha YSR (50cc) for less than a year - nineteen years ago. Recently, I took the MSF class and had two days riding around in the city with my cousin's 225cc Yamaha XT Dual Sport. So, needless to say, I don't have very much experience. I'm also what they call inseam-challenged standing at 5'3" tall :D

After having the motorcycle for two weeks, I'm out and about on the freeways and even took it to the twisties (crawling my way around hwy1) along with my friends. Super fun motorcycle!

Again, like what others have said, whatever bike you get, just practice safety and throttle control. Oh yeah, aside from your riding gear and frame sliders, also invest in security for your bike (had mine violated last week - someone ripped my seat and under seat off and took my battery :mad: so you can never be too secure).

The FZ6R is a winner! Ride safe.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

davidrosso

The FZ6R is an excellent first/beginners bike. Its a non-intimidating 600, very easy to learn on. Its my first "bike" as well, I started out with a Honda Silverwing 600 scooter for two years then upgraded to my FZ6R.

gearhead

I see he purchased a raven which is the fastest bike. Did I say that out loud??? :D

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

Part of the reason its faster is because it's stealthier (is that a word?). You fly on by before they see you coming.:D

bmw675

Shhhh. They'll be jealous.
i guess i was told wrong at the dealer when i picked mine up. i was told the blue one had the most power. salesmen........

JoshF

Attachments