leaning into a curve

sldwys87

Ok i have been riding for 3 or 4 months now. This is my first streetbike and i have developed my own techinques or whatever feels comfortable to me. However, seeing that our bikes make the rider sit more upright. What is the best way to take a curve? I always stay sitting up and just lean but seeing my other buddies bikes(r6,gsxr 600) they are position more downward(and i know it has to do with the bike) but should i start leaning towards the handle bars into a curve? I have tired it a couple of times going slowy and it just didnt seem right on this bike. Thanks

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

vitrox

the bike isn't exactly a extreme lean angle wizard.. i wouldn't get too far over or you'll be scraping pegs and boots. i'm hoping someone will make some rearsets for this thing eventually.

KADO

Yea, I have already lost a lil bit off one of my shoes. Gotta get me some boots but then those will end up just the same as my shoes but at least I will have better protection.

JonKerr

Elite Member

sldwys87

I assumed it would be better to lean down into the curves, it just felt alittle uncomfortable. I guess I"ll have to start practing this method until it feels natural. Thanks

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I do what JonKerr does. His post is a really good description of what would be ideal riding position for this bike. The mirror kissing technique works on any bike and I have used it many times.

If you are feeling uncomfortable about leaning the bike and working on body position, I suggest some practice. The best place I found to practice is on interstate on ramps. Not the straight ones, but the circle and sweeping type. Not only is it going to allow you to get your speed up to need to hang off the bike, but it will be legal as well. Plus, they all usually have a suggested speed limit, which is a good place to start. Try taking the ramp at that speed and notice how much you lean the bike. Then up the speed 5 mph and repeat. Continue to do so, taking note of how much you are leaning and what your body position is. Eventually, you will get to a point where simply leaning is not enough to comfortably take the curve. That's when you back off the speed and start working on body position. This is how I got myself comfortable with hanging off the bike and kissing the mirror (or my sexy reflection in the mirror).

This is a snapshot of some of the ramps I have worked. Work great for me so far.

Even better would be if you could get to a trackday. They will teach you most everything you need to know about body position and entry/exit speed for curves.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, I just noticed you are in Birmingham, AL. You are close to 2 excellent tracks, and I believe they both participate in the NESBA trackday events. You get a free trackday for buying the FZ6R. Get your coupon and get to the track!!

Heineken

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You said free track day? :)) I'm very interested, would you be so kind and give me the info on that?
https://www.nesba.com/

Go to that website. There is a link at the bottom right side of the page that says "Redeem Your Free Track Day Here." If you received a letter or email from Yamaha with a coupon code in it, you click the link and enter it there. If you haven't received a letter or email, you need to retrieve it using this page. https://www.nesba.com/NewYamahaCustomer/recover.htm

Once you have received the coupon code, just follow the link to redeem it. And voila, a free trackday sponsored by NESBA, one of the best trackday organizations around.

In fact, I believe there is a participating track in Joliet. That shouldn't be too far from you.

sldwys87

Yea i like 45 mins from Barbers Track. However, i have no gear for the track, suit,boots,etc... I really know nothing about the process, do they just let everyone on the track at once or do they have certain classes? I guess i could go to the websit.lol

sldwys87

I just requested my coupon and went ahead and signed up for a track day in April. Thanks again for the information....

Hellgate

Kinda like this:

20090406 074 copy.jpg

The most important thing to remember is to look though the corner at where you want to end up. Don't fixate and look the direction the bike is traveling. If you catch yourself fixating force yourself to look through the corner.

Just take your time as you get comfortable with higher speeds. If you feel unsafe you probably are.

There are several very good books out there. My favorite is Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.

Heineken

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yea i like 45 mins from Barbers Track. However, i have no gear for the track, suit,boots,etc... I really know nothing about the process, do they just let everyone on the track at once or do they have certain classes? I guess i could go to the websit.lol
Yeah, they do classes throughout the day. Riders are broken down into groups based upon skill level. Generally, you have class then ride 20 minutes, then class, then ride 20 minutes...and so it continues the whole day. Each time the instructors emphasize something new. You can ask the CR to help you and they are more than willing to accommodate and help you in every way they can. The NESBA CR's are excellent and love teaching, so you may actually get more help than you bargained for. As far as gear, you can rent it all from the track. Not too expensive either, and it lets you get a feel for trackdays and whether you will become addicted, like most people do. :D

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the info I owe you one. :thumbup:

It's freezing nuts up in Chicago-land this week.:rant: I just want the season to begin so I can go on that track day.

:)

Thanks again.
I just returned to Louisiana from IL on Sunday. It is still cold here, but I like seeing the temps in the positives rather than the negatives. :p There's also a track in South Beloit, if you wanted to try it out in addition to the one in Joliet.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member