Layed her down :-(

redprodigy35

Hello all. Here today to share a story with you about how my bike went down yesterday.

I was out with my mother on Saturday for lunch for Mother's day since she is working on Sunday.
She drove her car, and I trailed on the bike -- simply because it was a beautiful day. After lunch I asked her to take a long way home in her neighborhood so I could get an idea of the roads in the area.

Well after some good riding, we pull up to an open parking lot. HUGE lot. I'm talking mall size, but it was for a church. So we get out, smoke a stoge each, take some pics of my new girl with 140 miles.

Mom asks: Let me sit on the bike and get a feel for this thing. So I said "OK"-- what harm can some seat time in Neutral do? Some Mother - Son bonding for the holiday.... Well soon enough she starts asking about how the clutch works on the motorcycle. I explain to her that we can do a beginner drill and let her feel out the friction zone on the clutch. After about 5 min of verbal instruction from me, taking note of all I wanted her to practice and all I did not want her to do--- she drops the bike into first and successfully feels out the friction zone once rocking back and forth and disengaging the clutch completely. So I'm like OK (she has driven a stickshift car) -- do that a couple more times. Mind you my most stressed commentary involved me repeating to not let the clutch out fully and to pull in completely when she started to move.

She rocks back and forth 2-3 more times, and I go to light up a smoke to watch all this. By the time I lit my smoke and looked back at where she was -- she was about 20-30 ft. away stuttering on the bike by applying the break and not pulling the clutch in. Shortly after noticing this I start to run over in an attempt to hit the kill switch. Not fast enough. Mamma Dukes went down @ about 6 mph.

I run over check her status and she is fine besides a small abrasion on her knee and inside palm. I told her to hang on while I gather my thoughts on how to get the bike up properly. Her leg was stuck right about where the swingarm is, but no pressure that is urgent to relieve. I remember some (at the time boring) video's on Youtube that I had watched about properly picking up a bike. I do said moves and the bike is up. When she got her leg out from underneath, she was keen enough to jump around to the other side of the bike so it would not tip over again.

I proceed to rage for the next 25 min.

She offers to pay for the right side fairing, and bar ends, brake lever (only scratch), and it seems as if I slightly bent my back break lever.

Needless to say moms was very upset and emo over the spill. She didn't drop the subject all afternoon, about how "she messed everything up". I own up to my lack of responsibility by letting her operate such a machine, and say that she doesn't need to cover all the repairs. She insists in such a way that I think she woulda kicked me outta the house had I not given in to her requests to cover it all.

So I think the bike is all good, besides the scratches.

Any advice on next course of action? Order OEM parts? Go to a mechanic and have him do a look over? Get the OEM parts from the mechanic or myself?

Sorry for the wall of text-- had to share this with some of my fellow owners.

ksanbon

Sorry about the hiccup in what should have been a great day. The good news is that no one got hurt.

It would help if you could post pics of the damage because some cosmetic issues can be repaired inexpensively. If you decide to replace parts, it might be a good idea to compare prices dealer-wise and online to save money.

Here's one source: Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Sparkxx1

If you really want to fix it properly order OEM, but it'll just come out really expensive. I let my sister (13) do some clutch exercises, but only on my friends ninja ex250. It wasn't like she was going to go anywhere if she did complete it properly, but she never did get the bike to do anything but lurch forward and die, I didn't want her to believe riding a motorcycle is EASY-PEASY. Next thing I know is she would try to turn mine on in the basement. Shit I remember sneaking my Dads keys, going off to the car, and turning it on for a bit.

I think for the brake levers and stuff ask around if anybody is selling. Many people change their stock for after-markets, or use the excuse to go buy some after-market shorties! Bar ends usually go for like 20$ shipped. Grab a water cooler wrench aka channel lock pliers, put a rag over the rear brake lever and bend it back into position. It'll work perfectly and you won't need to spend cash on it.

Did you have frame sliders?

redprodigy35

Thanks for the advice guys.
Sure is hard to see your bike go down...

Unfortunately I did not have the frame sliders on as I was putting off installing them. Retarded, I know. They really helped sitting in the garage in their box! :rolleyes:

Ksanbon, thinking about it in retrospect now, it is important that no one got hurt. You don't expect anything to go down @ 6mph, but you never know.

Harda toenail

The side fairing will be about 350 if youngo the oem route. My front upper fairing cost me 400 when a ratchet strap snapped on my trailer. Poked a hole right into that fairing (but NO other damang luckily)

AFDavis11

Make it a hooligan bike . . . forget the expensive side plastic. It's dumb anyway.

Take everything off and send the Mom to MSF.

And oh yea, dude, in the future, nobody touches the bike.

Imamuon

It's all just tuition in the school of life :) Get a cheap used TTR125, teach her to ride, and then you're set for as long as you have her.... never regret this Mother's day. You will laugh about this in a few years.

Tmak73

I know this is off topic but this bike did look pretty good naked when I was doing some work to mine

Imamuon

Oh yeah, and to answer your question, go to CCS Forum - Index and ask one of the racers where they get their bodywork and paint jobs... some of them go through 2 or 3 sets each season! I don't want to wish for a mishap, but *when* I screw up my factory bodywork I am going to go with a custom paint job from my friend Bob Brown at www.emipiregp.com

SAFE-T

You stopped to smoke dope with your Mom and then proceeded to try and teach her how to ride your motorcycle ? In a church parking lot...with no gear...

:popcorn:

Last edited:

redprodigy35

Smoke dope?
Who said anything about lighting up a doob?
Begs me to ask... What are YOU smoking? :)

And yes it was a church parking lot. Enormous by all means and empty.
Yeah at the time I thought she could handle a simple clutch exercise, I apparently learned my lesson. Had it been a friend, probably woulda never let'em sit on it, let alone drop into gear. But It was mothers day, and it was family-- mom nonetheless. Not justifying, just stating what was going through my head @ the time.

Gonna try and snap some painful pics of the damage tonight...

CrazyCawi

Stogie=Cigar

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

Smoke dope?
Who said anything about lighting up a doob?
Begs me to ask... What are YOU smoking? :)

And yes it was a church parking lot. Enormous by all means and empty.
Yeah at the time I thought she could handle a simple clutch exercise, I apparently learned my lesson. Had it been a friend, probably woulda never let'em sit on it, let alone drop into gear. But It was mothers day, and it was family-- mom nonetheless. Not justifying, just stating what was going through my head @ the time.

Gonna try and snap some painful pics of the damage tonight...
I let my mom ride the bike up and down the alley the other day. I was tense as fack, but how can you say no to family. On the other hand my older cousin asked me to borrow her since he was staying in NY while on I guess vacation from the military(on leave?). I ended up saying no, because I felt uncomfortable with it, even though I love him as a brother. Oh well, at least you didn't do something you didn't want to do and ended up getting burned for it. Shit happens and the bike will be fixed in time. Now you have a great story with your Mom, you two will laugh it up later on.

freemanjc

Hello all. Here today to share a story with you about how my bike went down yesterday.

I was out with my mother on Saturday for lunch for Mother's day since she is working on Sunday.
She drove her car, and I trailed on the bike -- simply because it was a beautiful day. After lunch I asked her to take a long way home in her neighborhood so I could get an idea of the roads in the area.

Well after some good riding, we pull up to an open parking lot. HUGE lot. I'm talking mall size, but it was for a church. So we get out, smoke a stoge each, take some pics of my new girl with 140 miles.

Mom asks: Let me sit on the bike and get a feel for this thing. So I said "OK"-- what harm can some seat time in Neutral do? Some Mother - Son bonding for the holiday.... Well soon enough she starts asking about how the clutch works on the motorcycle. I explain to her that we can do a beginner drill and let her feel out the friction zone on the clutch. After about 5 min of verbal instruction from me, taking note of all I wanted her to practice and all I did not want her to do--- she drops the bike into first and successfully feels out the friction zone once rocking back and forth and disengaging the clutch completely. So I'm like OK (she has driven a stickshift car) -- do that a couple more times. Mind you my most stressed commentary involved me repeating to not let the clutch out fully and to pull in completely when she started to move.

She rocks back and forth 2-3 more times, and I go to light up a smoke to watch all this. By the time I lit my smoke and looked back at where she was -- she was about 20-30 ft. away stuttering on the bike by applying the break and not pulling the clutch in. Shortly after noticing this I start to run over in an attempt to hit the kill switch. Not fast enough. Mamma Dukes went down @ about 6 mph.

I run over check her status and she is fine besides a small abrasion on her knee and inside palm. I told her to hang on while I gather my thoughts on how to get the bike up properly. Her leg was stuck right about where the swingarm is, but no pressure that is urgent to relieve. I remember some (at the time boring) video's on Youtube that I had watched about properly picking up a bike. I do said moves and the bike is up. When she got her leg out from underneath, she was keen enough to jump around to the other side of the bike so it would not tip over again.

I proceed to rage for the next 25 min.

She offers to pay for the right side fairing, and bar ends, brake lever (only scratch), and it seems as if I slightly bent my back break lever.

Needless to say moms was very upset and emo over the spill. She didn't drop the subject all afternoon, about how "she messed everything up". I own up to my lack of responsibility by letting her operate such a machine, and say that she doesn't need to cover all the repairs. She insists in such a way that I think she woulda kicked me outta the house had I not given in to her requests to cover it all.

So I think the bike is all good, besides the scratches.

Any advice on next course of action? Order OEM parts? Go to a mechanic and have him do a look over? Get the OEM parts from the mechanic or myself?

Sorry for the wall of text-- had to share this with some of my fellow owners.

FZ6R Fairing $256.00

Honda Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Yamaha Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles

toddjcruz

Smoke dope? Someone had to be. Don’t mean to be a hard ass, but you know that “funniest home videos” show where the dad is throwing the ball to the kid and you KNOW someone is going to get hit by the bat or the ball? You can just see it coming? Yeah, I’d have to say the moment you started that story, I could see the ending a mile away. If you are going to go down that route like that, all you can do is laugh when it happens (assuming nobody gets hurt). It’s just a bike, it can be fixed. You’ve got a funny story you can tell for some time. But ya gotta laugh at it and just enjoy the moment. It really shouldn’t have been much of a surprise!

ChUcK

I speak Smokinese, and in this case the OP is referring to a cigarette.