lane splitting

Sage

Shared this on my Facebook/Twitter, I've only been able to lane split a few times and I think it would be quite nice to be able to legally around here.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Invader Jim

He said rear-end collisions are the most common form of MC-car collision. He needs to check his facts.

If I could legally lane-split I would do it. In my opinion the benefits outweigh the risk but he is wrong about rear-end collisions being the most common accident.

Roaddawg

Good video. I agree with those guys too. I know there are those that think lane splitting is stupid, but once I learned to do it and do it safely, I can't imagine not lane splitting. I feel so much safer getting through traffic and not being so vulnerable to getting rear ended. In stop and go traffic, the primary thing that's going to kill you is getting rear ended, so the intersection stat isn't applicable. Those that get hurt splitting traffic are those that are going too fast through the traffic and not paying attention to the cars/drivers inputs. You have to be 100% focused and keep your eyes moving when splitting....and always look out for Prius drivers!! (I swear they are the only ones that have a severe case of HUA!!)

I used to commute 51 miles one-way into San Francisco on my motorcycle and I split traffic everyday, each way. I don't split traffic on city streets and believe its unsafe in those conditions EXCEPT up to the front of the traffic lights. On city streets, there's just too much other distractions, like pedestrians, cars entering from driveways or turning left in front of you and such. So, I only recommend splitting on the freeways in stop and go or splitting to the front traffic lights.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Z3roFlaw

I know I'm posting on a thread that is several months old :zombie: but it's relevant to an experience I had this morning, so I wanted to post it here.

On my way to work today I was riding in the carpool lane and I got behind two people on choppers. For some reason they either a) weren't happy with me riding with them or b) think that every person on a sport bike wants/is planning to lane split. I say this because the lead biker immediately moved over to the left side of the lane (near the k-rail) and when he did that, his riding partner took a staggered stance (as I would have too) but then the lead biker gestured for them to move straight behind them. After that was done, the leader biker gave a waving hand gesture of come on up. I wasn't originally planning to lane split, but because they went through the trouble I passed them up and gave both of them a friendly wave.

I dunno where I'm going with this lol. I just thought it was weird about the assumption but nice that they allowed me to pass. If they didn't move I was honestly just going to ride with them. I think we were doing 65mph anyways (which is the speed limit).

I ride in the carpool lane every day when I ride my bike to work and I only lane split when traffic isn't flowing. I don't see the point of intentionally splitting lanes when I'm currently doing the speed limit. Albeit I see other bikers do it constantly.

Lane splitting in general makes me really nervous. I NEVER do it while in the carpool lane during a spot where the carpool opens up for people to merge out/in. That is always a sketchy spot.