lag in throttle response?

her24gl

Has anyone else noticed a little lag in the throttle response? Maybe it's just going to take some getting used to, but it seems that when I roll on the throttle there is a definite noticeable lag, or drop/gap in engine response. Don't know if it's just my bike, or if it's a common problem. Anyone?

MNDZA

I haven't noticed this issue either, but will make sure once the rain here clears up.

Y

yamaha rider87

if your engine is cold or you are too low in the RPM range you can experience a lag in response....now by lag do you mean a delay in when you twist the grip to when you see any rise in RPM's or just that once you twist the grip it seems like its taking too long to really get jumping? The first one could be a problem and might be worth having it looked at by the dealership or a competent mechanic....if its the second there is a good chance you are too low in the RPM range and would be better off a gear lower. I haven't ridden the FZ6R yet but I know on the FZ6 the bike doesn't really start stomping until the 7,000-11,000 RPM range. Hope this helps

fz6rwolf

Haven't noticed any lag unless I'm in too high a gear for some reason. My last couple bikes were cruisers with shaft drive and there was noticeable lag there but that was normal. You might need to have that checked.

her24gl

if your engine is cold or you are too low in the RPM range you can experience a lag in response....now by lag do you mean a delay in when you twist the grip to when you see any rise in RPM's or just that once you twist the grip it seems like its taking too long to really get jumping? The first one could be a problem and might be worth having it looked at by the dealership or a competent mechanic....if its the second there is a good chance you are too low in the RPM range and would be better off a gear lower. I haven't ridden the FZ6R yet but I know on the FZ6 the bike doesn't really start stomping until the 7,000-11,000 RPM range. Hope this helps
The problem happens in all gears, but is especially embarrassing when it occurs in first starting out from a stop, and I stall it. I'll admit I'm not accustomed to having to run high RPM's... with the Wing. If it got much above 3K, it was shift time. I knew going in that the R needed more RPM's, but never thought that many!! I'm not talking about "stomping", but just starting out in each gear.

It's probably just "operator error" due to the fact that I'm used to the clutch and engine response on the Wing, and I shift by "ear" and "feel". I'll try to pay closer attention to exactly what's happening on the gauges when I'm shifting, and be better able to describe the problem.

Thanks for the info!!! As soon as the rain stops (by Wednesday????) I'll get back out on it!! I'll post another reply if in fact I can identify it as a bike related problem, or at least something I'll have my tech check out; he's the best!

B

bluenova

The problem happens in all gears, but is especially embarrassing when it occurs in first starting out from a stop, and I stall it. I'll admit I'm not accustomed to having to run high RPM's... with the Wing. If it got much above 3K, it was shift time. I knew going in that the R needed more RPM's, but never thought that many!! I'm not talking about "stomping", but just starting out in each gear.

It's probably just "operator error" due to the fact that I'm used to the clutch and engine response on the Wing, and I shift by "ear" and "feel". I'll try to pay closer attention to exactly what's happening on the gauges when I'm shifting, and be better able to describe the problem.

Thanks for the info!!! As soon as the rain stops (by Wednesday????) I'll get back out on it!! I'll post another reply if in fact I can identify it as a bike related problem, or at least something I'll have my tech check out; he's the best!
If you are in a higher than 2nd gear then 3k is not enough. The engine is only 600CC and therefore needs the higher RPM’s, it’s not a car or 1300CC cruiser. Above 2nd gear you want to be cruising around 4k-5k and for gentle acceleration 5k-7k and obviously for harder acceleration higher than that (it does go a lot higher for a reason).

:EDIT:
Just realised you are talking about the FZ6R which I have not ridden, but I would have thought it's the same but maybe slightly lower RPM's than I stated. Just to add as well, I say higher than 2nd gear because in 1st and 2nd it should pull fine in the lower RPM's.

grommit

Remember the R :)rolleyes:) is down on both power and torque compared to the regular FZ6, despite the peaks occurring earlier in the rev range, so you need to give it a bit of stick, like it was designed for. Use the force, opps I mean the gearbox.;)

fz6rwolf

If I'm just on a residential road riding pretty slow I normally run about 4,000 rpm's and shift around 5,000. 1st week I got it I was running and shifting about 1,000 below that because of the same thing, used to cruisers but I've learned this bike runs better at higher rpm's. I actually got the little green redline light for a second on Saturday when I went out for about a 4 hr+ ride doing some hard shifting (kinda weird the redline warning light is green LOL).

MNDZA

I took my bike out earlier and didn't notice any lag. I noticed with the bike not warmed up, there is a significant delay of power. Otherwise no problem once warmed up.

F

fuzz

I took my bike out earlier and didn't notice any lag. I noticed with the bike not warmed up, there is a significant delay of power. Otherwise no problem once warmed up.
When i first rode my new fz6 home from the dealers I was thinking the same thing.... " Wheres the response ". I had traded in my 2000 fazer 600 and thought the fz6 would feel much more powerful and responsive but it wasn't. I rode it like that for about a week but after a couple of overtakes that seemed to take me ages to speed up I decided to adjust the throttle a bit. That was all it was. Just a small turn of the throttle adjuster nut and hey presto... BANG. Since then I've tweeked it a few times to find the perfect setting for me and now I'm a happy bunny. I'd say try adjusting the throttle and if that dont work..... write another post. Hope that helps. Good luck

her24gl

When i first rode my new fz6 home from the dealers I was thinking the same thing.... " Wheres the response ". I had traded in my 2000 fazer 600 and thought the fz6 would feel much more powerful and responsive but it wasn't. I rode it like that for about a week but after a couple of overtakes that seemed to take me ages to speed up I decided to adjust the throttle a bit. That was all it was. Just a small turn of the throttle adjuster nut and hey presto... BANG. Since then I've tweeked it a few times to find the perfect setting for me and now I'm a happy bunny. I'd say try adjusting the throttle and if that dont work..... write another post. Hope that helps. Good luck
Thanks fuzz. That's great to know. I will definitely look into that too!!

S

somedayrider

well your gonna have to tell us if it works cause i wanna know all about this bike cause i think i see it in my future still not sure:Flash:

M

mellofelow

I have the same... but it's intermittent and only from 1st to 2nd. It sorta feel like a loose chain kinda of pause, a little bog and then picks up.

Y

yamaha rider87

Yea especially starting out your better off keeping that clutch in a little longer and letting the engine rev higher as you slowly let it out...it doesn't have nearly as much low end grunt as the Goldwing you were on before...and don't worry, as long as you don't fully drop the clutch out fast with the revs up there you won't wheelie or have any problems.

C

CravenMoorhead

I read this yesterday and rode my FZ6R afterward and again today looking for any hesitation starting out cold and from the 1-2 shift.

There was no hint of hesitation or lag in throttle response, even after looking for it.

I don't mean to imply that it is not your experience but that it is not a normal function of this bike and that you may need to have it checked for repair/safety. Particularly that you have significant cycle experience (goldwing) in the past.

A

Aleziel

did you drive another bike before the FZ6? perhaps a bike with carbs?

her24gl

Hey all,

thanks for all the input. I have worked on MY portion of this, and have gotten a little better at letting it rev before totally engaging the clutch which helps a little. I have talked to my mechanic, and he will adjust it at my 600 mile service. It's still definately too much.

Now, IF the sun ever shines again....and at this point I'm doubtful. I'll be able to surpass the 600 and take it in.

LOL!

B

bluenova

Hey all,

thanks for all the input. I have worked on MY portion of this, and have gotten a little better at letting it rev before totally engaging the clutch which helps a little. I have talked to my mechanic, and he will adjust it at my 600 mile service. It's still definately too much.

Now, IF the sun ever shines again....and at this point I'm doubtful. I'll be able to surpass the 600 and take it in.

LOL!
lol, the bike isn't solar powered. Get out there and ride :thumbup: