Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

RoadTrip

Knife collecting is apparently a huge hobby, there are endless videos of cutting tests and model reviews on youtube, mostly from pure collectors, but also many from field users. The guy I like is this Japanese hunter guy with youtube name 'virtuovoice', seems his top pick is the lesser known Blackjack 125, its an old school design and carbon (non-stainless steel), but apparently the high carbons sharpen quickly and get razor sharp.

I have had great difficulty getting some of the high end stainless steels razor sharp, and then the edge only last for one or less deer processing sessions. I bought a 125, but have yet to use it, but I can tell you it is scarey sharp out of the box (slices paper with just a push), and appears to have collector grade worth. You are supposed to hone it on a strop to maintain the edge, I have yet to do that as well. Anyway, DLT Trading has the best prices on the 125 with the exotic woods (although virtuovoice seems to favor the micarta versions).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcyohZKE-ug

Last edited:

Pinarello Rider

Checking in! My dad started collecting knives a couple of years before he passed, and got my brother and I a few knives. Started years ago with some Buck Knives that he kept at work and always had with him. He liked the old style locking blade with the brass (Ithink) ends and a dark wood in the middle. http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3044

In the last couple of years I've picked up a few more. My current favorites are Kershaw Leeks (Kershaw Leek Composite Plain Edge Knife at The Kershaw Store) - they are slim and fit really well in a dress pant. They are not crazy expensive (I don't consider anything over $100 to be a "pocket knife" because if you drop it and it gets damaged, you'll be pissed), but work really well. Easy one handed open with the wrist flick, and the shape of the handle really fits well in my hand.

One of my favorites is the CRKT mini Fulcrum (Fulcrum Pocket Knives | EDC Folding Knife) - it's not a great knife other than the really unique way of opening. It stumps people.

I recently picked up a Buck Lux Pro (BUCK) and it took a while for me to like it, but it has really grown on me. I bought it because of the carbon fiber inlay, and at first it didn't impress, but I have really grown to like carrying it.

I work in a "professional" environment, so I prefer to carry a knife that is useful, comfortable in my pants pocket, and elegant. When I pull it out to use it, it often becomes a conversation piece, and that's part of the fun. Sometimes it's an ice-breaker (do you remember your first knife?) and you can get to know people.

I also PREFER to buy American, and avoid anything made in China if I can (I'd be happy to discuss why, but start another thread, okay?) :)

I do most of my shopping with A.G. Russell - they have GREAT service, allow you to search by country of origin, and discuss where and how the knife is designed and manufactured. Not the best prices, but I'm one of those that will pay more for good service - I've never bought ANYTHING off of eBay or at Walmart. Yeah, I'm one of those. A.G. Russell is a bit of a Right wing nut, but his heart is in the right place, and he runs a tight shop. Anyone can appreciate that.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

roundhouse

I love my zero tolerance fixed blade. for my EDC i have a Spyderco endura 4, or i really like my RAT folder ($30 it's a badass knife). I have some cheapies too but after owning higher end knives (not high end like an emerson or chris reeves)

best cheapie is a china made knife called enlan. they have better steel than most knives around $50 and have g-10 scales

i have several bushcraft knives. helle, becker, condor.

agree benchmade makes great knives. have a benchmade griptilian but don;t like the tanto blade.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

roundhouse

I dislike Tanto blades in general.

Griptillian is the Benchmade "Blue" level, which are their "entry level" knives. Still really good quality. It's sort of like saying you own an "entry level" Porsche.
oh yeah, i agree. but i would really love a porche boxster. it's a whole lot better than a 97 chevy cavalier.