just bought my FZ6R, questions

motospy

Hi all,
After doing a LOT of research, I just bought my first motorcycle after taking the ABATE class and riding a few of my friends' bikes for a while. So far I'm lovin' my FZ6R, unfortunately I only got to ride it for a few hours the day before it snowed so I'm hoping for warmer weather soon here in Denver. I just had some questions while I wait for the snow to melt... I can't just stare at it in the garage all day so I might as well get some info!

1.) According to wikipedia, there's a 78hp "standard" version, and a 98hp "S2" version. How can I tell which one I have? I'm happy either way, I'd just like to know.

2.) Recommendations on first mods? I got the dealer to include the next scheduled service and a fender eliminator kit, which should arrive in the next few days. I'll need some short turn signals to go with it.

3.) It's got about 50% tread left on the tires. Recommendations on which to get next?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Bloke

Depends what you want.

Me... I'm 3 years in and only have a 12v socket, heated clothing (not really a bike mod) plus rear rack and topbox mod wise.

Am I concerned about frame sliders? Not particularly, they detract from the look of the bike and are only useful in a low speed off. I'll save the dosh for now and just pay the excess or buy the parts if its bad enough to warrant repair.

motospy

Thanks for the responses guys!

Dart, thanks for the clarification. Mine is definitely the 6R:

I was thinking frame sliders as well. As Bloke says they might not look great to some, but in my view, I'd rather replace frame sliders than a fairing. I figure it will probably get dropped at some point.

redwing-2001

I was thinking frame sliders as well. As Bloke says they might not look great to some, but in my view, I'd rather replace frame sliders than a fairing. I figure it will probably get dropped at some point.
Congrats. Enjoy the ride. Some suggestions:
* Take another course in the spring - maybe the Experienced RiderCourse or even the Advanced RiderCourse as a tune-up for the riding season.
* Gets some Gloves, pants and boots to match your very nice jacket and helmet. Maybe Santa could help with that.
There are lots of good ideas for actual bike mods on this forum, just poke around a bit. Ask specific questions when you settle on a specific mod to try and you won't find a better group anywhere else to help you out.

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

applejax

While frame sliders can help protect the fairings, their real purpose is to protect the FRAME.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

motospy

Marthy, already checked out your link! A louder exhaust is definitely worth considering. My friend's first comment after the test ride was "it's too quiet!"

I already have gloves (2 pairs) and boots. Was just posing for the pic because I needed something to break the news to my folks.

The basic MSF class I took was invaluable. I'd definitely take another one.

A buddy gave me a brake flasher module but apparently it only works with LED's. Might give that a shot too.

Right now I just want to RIDE some more... stupid snow!

DakinechicK

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :cheer:

Welcome to the best forum on the intranet! Oh, and I'm from Denver too! :cool:

mikebaileyvienna

Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

CDN6R

Good day and welcome to the 6R forum. I have not posted for quite some time being that I no longer have a bike but my heart is still here. Congrats on your purchase,,I know that you will love the bike. No snow here yet in Nova Scotia ,,but I am sure we will soon get some. Laurie