June Bugs

djf18374

So...had my first encounter with a June Bug on my Bike today. To give you some idea of how odd this encounter was, I will give some background. I installed the DB clear windscreen from Yamaha, and it brings air up higher than would a stock windscreen. Usually the air hits me right at shield level when riding slower. Well I was driving to work in the morning, going slow with traffic through a work zone...out of nowhere I get hit with a menacing insect missile directly in the adam's apple! It felt like I got hit with a paintball, and I almost rode off into the curb and gutter on the side of the road. :eek: I pulled over at a gas station and half expected to have a heart attack trying to figure out what had just happened.
It hit me so hard that I could not breathe!
What are the odds that a bug would hit me in the only open to the air part of my body? I had riding boots, overpants, jacket, helmet, and gloves on...shield down and everything. Hits me in the damn throat...lol.

Anyway, hurt like heck, left a welt, but did not explode into a bug juice puddle running down my neck (which was good). Anyone have any similar experience?

DakinechicK

OUCH!!! June Bugs are brutal! They hurt when they smack into you at no rate of speed, so I can't imagine how awful that was while riding. I'm sorry.

kevin8198

Elite Member

Chucker

June bugs are nature's bullets. I had one go off my chin-bar last week, just a couple of inches away from what you experienced. Evidently, my chinbar is harder than your throat, because this baby exploded. I thought I was hit with a rock until I got home and saw the remains. It was so loud in my helmet it made me jump when it hit.

Brock Kickass

I get them in the face al the time. They explode all over my shield and helmet. It is disgusting! At this time of year, between junebugs, mosquitos, and blackflies, I have to remove and clean my shield every night after work.