Jump start

Btown647

how do you jump start our bikes? Hypothetically if i were to leave the key in it in the garage and forget to turn it off and i needed to jump it how would i do so? Hypothetically...

JSP

Super Moderator
I believe you can jump it like a car, BUT do NOT START THE CAR! (At least with my old bike thats how it was said to be done). Just connect the leads from the car battery without the car on. Or get a battery tender if you have time to wait. Or you could try push starting it.

FitZ6R

Easiest and safest would be to use a portable jumpstarter.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to try bump starting our bike, so I don't know if that works. But in theory it should.

Verranth

We pushed a guy on his bike last year! :rof: PITA.

Anyways, skip 1st gear and go directly to 2nd gear, then slip the clutch and go :)

Btown647

ill do the battery tender. this is gonna sound stupid but where is the battery on our bikes?

GoGreen09

Battery's under the seat. So does this mean you guys carry the battery charger with you? I always come across it when going to the bike shops and I keep wondering if I should buy one (and carry it with me all the time). Any thoughts?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
ill do the battery tender. this is gonna sound stupid but where is the battery on our bikes?
Under the main seat. It's kinda well hidden.

FitZ6R

Dealers often pre-wire a battery connection when they prep new bikes. If you find a capped two pin connector under the seat, the charger will plug right in.

FitZ6R

So does this mean you guys carry the battery charger with you? I always come across it when going to the bike shops and I keep wondering if I should buy one (and carry it with me all the time). Any thoughts?
Battery maintainers, like the Battery Tender, are mostly meant to keep batteries alive over the off season (for you California folks, some of us have this thing called winter :p ). Charging a dead battery takes hours, so carrying the charger isn't really useful for on-the-road use. I carry some lightweight jumpers that I made from 10 ga wire and clips from Radio Shack.

fz6rwolf

Haven't done on this bike but most you can jump with car battery (MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU HAVE THE LEADS TO CORRECT TERMINALS)!!!