Jack under muffler?

dbrooks8

Hello!

I'm new here!

Wife just got a 6R and the Roaring Toys lowering kit arrives tomorrow. I have looked all over the site and seen all the plans for getting the back tire off the ground, but I don't feel good about the strength of my rafters and can't figure out how to jack it up as the manual says. (on the frame just in front of the wheel). I can't find any frame in front of the wheel!

The muffler seems pretty substantial. How many of you have put the jack under the muffler? How did it work out?

MikeN02

I've used a jack on the catalytic converter fine. Just make sure to destructive the weight so that the jack doesn't dent it.

The problem is, the exhaust system might be blocking the links. If that is the case (like my R6) then take off the exhaust system and jack it up from the oil pan underneath.

Course I had extra precaution (Tie downs to the garage door/front stand).

yfz6r

Course I had extra precaution (Tie downs to the garage door/front stand).

So when the bike falls and pulls the garage door down with it you can tell the old lady "the garage door just fell down. I don't know what happened. Messed up my bike too"

dbrooks8

I guess I will give it a try. I am going to use a combination of hanging it from the rafter and a jack under the muffler.

Bloke

Surely there is frame right where the side stand bolts on?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

iSpoolin

I used a jack on the muffler when I put the Link onto my FZ. Did just fine. However the way I seen it was if it fucked up my muffler I finally had an excuse to spend 1000$ on an exhaust LOL

stevet

I have been using a Harbor Freight hydraulic motorcycle jack to raise my bike since it was new in 09. No problems. For safety I use 2 tie downs secured to the jack and the handlebars so the bike can't go anywhere. Leave the kick stand down for extra safety. use a small block of wood on the other side of the catalyst to make everything level if you are uncomfortable. In any case it works great every time.

MikeN02

So when the bike falls and pulls the garage door down with it you can tell the old lady "the garage door just fell down. I don't know what happened. Messed up my bike too"

Actually, I don't have an old lady. You'd be surprised at how much weight the rails can take.

This is why I said I put it on the front stand as well to take some of the weight off and I'm keeping an eye on the bike.

Another way is to get some jacks and jack the bike up by the frame sliders.

MikeN02

Raising the ZX6-R

zxraising.jpg

Did my R6 last week the same way, except I had to take off the exhaust as it was blocking the links. Going to be doing the R1 this way as well.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

dbrooks8

Surely there is frame right where the side stand bolts on?

Yes, but there is a lot of exhaust below that, and I also need to replace the side stand.

For peace of mind, you can get a centerstand and not worry about messing anything up.

I was planning on it, but then we decided to lower it and the centerstand will not work with a lowered bike.

I used a jack on the muffler when I put the Link onto my FZ. Did just fine. However the way I seen it was if it fucked up my muffler I finally had an excuse to spend 1000$ on an exhaust LOL

I don't have $1000 for a new exhaust!

I have been using a Harbor Freight hydraulic motorcycle jack to raise my bike since it was new in 09. No problems. For safety I use 2 tie downs secured to the jack and the handlebars so the bike can't go anywhere. Leave the kick stand down for extra safety. use a small block of wood on the other side of the catalyst to make everything level if you are uncomfortable. In any case it works great every time.

I have a bike lift, but I am afraid to use it. Mine is kind of like this:

41tHaSv3EqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another way is to get some jacks and jack the bike up by the frame sliders.

No frame sliders either. :(

MikeN02

If you don't have enough money to get a new exhaust then I would definitely invest in some frame sliders.

First mod that I recommend everyone to do as it helps out a ton. Better then replacing your $200~ plastics (per piece), gives you some room to get out in case the bike is trapped on top of you, and saves your frame ($1,000~).

dbrooks8

I ended up using two small bottle jacks, one on each side under the frame near the footpegs. I also ran a strap up over my rafter as a just in case. It was very solid and there was zero chance of it falling over.

I had a terrible time figuring out how the kickstand switch actuator went on. it fell off and I had no idea how it went on. I looked at the kickstand installation instructions on here and I finally figured out how it went back together.

Took it for a short test drive and everything felt good.

Next I need to put some frame sliders on and the bike will be ready to travel!

Thanks for everybodys input!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

yfz6r

A center stand will work on a lowered bike. A guy I ride with lowered his gen1 fz1 2" (he's vertically challenged) and still used his centerstand no problem.

ChUcK

I know this is a little late, but this is what I do to get the rear off the ground for chain maintenance:

Take a belt and cinch it around the front brake lever. Place a jack under the right side centerstand attachment point and jack her up an inch. The 3-point stance of the bike goes from front/rear/sidestand to front/jack/sidestand. It's probably less secure than other techniques, but the bike doesn't wobble or threaten to fall.

This technique has worked on every bike I've ever owned, even the 1500 cruiser.

stevet

Dbrooks8 you have every thing you need to raise your bike safely. Looks like the set up I've used safely and successfully every time.

F

FZ6R_Blue

this plan doesnt work with a TBE setup... i need to get my bike up to get the wheels (front/back) off the ground