Is this your first bike?

N

Nefilim

I've never ridden a FZ6R so I have no idea how they behave.

My friend is looking to buy his first bike and he really likes the style of the R but looking at the fact sheets on it, it seems like it could be a little much for a beginner.

Did any of you find it to be too wild for someone fresh out of MSF?

lilfuzz

This is my second bike and I would recomend it for a MSF noob.

GoGreen09

It's my first bike and I love it. Coming out of MSF, the weight was something that you have to get used to - but I guess you'd have to do that with any other bike. I'm glad that I passed up the Ninja 250 for this.

F

fz6nick

It all depends on him.

How did he do on the safety course?

Is he going to respect the power?

B

Binks33

i have the fz6 and never rode a motorcycle before that,the way i look it is you might as well buy the bike that u can still be happy with years down the road.:Sport:

T

thetimanator

i have the fz6 and never rode a motorcycle before that,the way i look it is you might as well buy the bike that u can still be happy with years down the road.:Sport:
same here...BUT I felt very comfortable very quickly on MSF course on a 250 and decided after that that I would have out grown the Ninja 250 very quickly.

Plus I couldn't pass the fz6 up at the price and payment arrangement from my brother :)

fz6rwolf

Not my 1st bike but 1st "sportbike" and long as you realize that if you twist it hard it'll really get up there quickly shouldn't be a problem.

phantomxc

This is also my first bike and I felt really comfortable on it driving only 15 minutes. I didn't take the MSF class but I think as long as you drive safely and smart this bike is perfect. First and only other bike I driven was a Honda 919.

V

vdbergj1

The FZ6 was my first bike, only had experience on little thingies of my friends years ago. Had a Suzuki LTZ 400 ATV for over a year. The FZ6 was not a problem but then again I respected it for the devil that could get loose inside. It only matters what he will do with his inner drive and how he will use it and her. FZ6R will be my second bike for sure.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The FZ6R is my first bike. I took the MSF in June last year and then didn't ride at all until I bought this bike in February. The bike is very comfortable, and once you get used to the weight, it's very manageable. There is a good bit of power, but if you come to terms with that and be wise and take the time to learn, it should be just fine.

uscgduncan

I haven't talked to very many people who have wrecked a bike that said "I was doing every thing I should have been and as safely as I could". My point is good situational awareness will make up for inexperience on a different bike in most cases. If you passed the basic MSF course then you must have the basic skills needed to manage safely until you get a few miles on the new bike. I've been on several different kinds of bikes and I have to take it easy the first few miles the feel it out. Good luck and be safe.

R

rjo3491

Yea, this is my first and only bike, so I have no perspective. Is an FZ6 really that powerful?

How would it compare to say, a 1200cc Harley, or,
a 1000cc sport bike.

My brother (who is a bit of a pompous a$$) has a big Kawasaki is always giving me a hard time about buying a mid size bike - although he crashed his mid size in a turn six months after he got it (a good reason I guess, to get a more powerful bike)!!

Anyway, my point is that while the FZ6 has plenty of power for me, I don't find it at all intimidating. I think anybody responsible enough to ride a motorcycle in the first place (and there are many on the road imo who are not) should have no problem starting out on this bike.

tractorboy

My Deal -5 yr of riding dirt...alot.....last year got a 250 rebel and rode that...it was nice to have a small bike to get used to ( for like a MONTH- then it was too small)

This is my 1st real bike. Its perfect I feel for a beginner. very predicable.....turns well and you can get used to it fast...BUT it does have room to grow and you need to respect the bike. For the money..a beginner will have MANY years of fun and LEARNING on this bike..it can GROW WITH YOU in my opinion...just respect it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents.

:thumbup:

fz6recon

First bike and I'm loving it...It does exactly what I tell it to do

I

interactive3

I've never ridden a FZ6R so I have no idea how they behave.

My friend is looking to buy his first bike and he really likes the style of the R but looking at the fact sheets on it, it seems like it could be a little much for a beginner.

Did any of you find it to be too wild for someone fresh out of MSF?
I'd never really had any experience with motorcycles. I took the MSF basic class last summer and bought a used FZ6 a few months later.

• The bike seemed heavy when moving it around manually (loading/unloading it/walking it), but once moving the weight isn't noticeable at all.
• It has a better turning radius than full out sport bikes so that really helps with parking lots.
• It took me a few rides to get used to the shifting! That was the toughest part. Now I'm smooth, but it took a few months to get it right in all the gears. If I thought about shifting I was terrible. If I didn't think about it I was fine.
• Starting up hills initially caused some stalling. Without low end torque it needs to be reved and the clutch engaged slowly (especially with a passenger).
• I never thought much about front fairings before, but now I appreciate the design of the one on my 2006 model. On long rides, when it's cold and on the highway a faring really helps. It deflects the wind away from your hands, lower torso and legs.

I'd highly suggest an FZ6 as a first bike, as long as you're fairly coordinated (I suppose that for any motorcycle rider coordination is a prerequisite). The seat is too high for short people, so if you're vertically challenged, sit on one first to be sure of the fit.

I'd also suggest buying a good used bike. Use the money saved to buy a good helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. The list of accessories and gear will grow from there!

xplodnstar

The FZ6R is my second bike. I got a Ninja 250 right after the MSF course to learn on. It was a great learning experience, but I am very limited in my selection of bikes anyway due to my smaller stature.

If you can handle the weight and height, the FZ6R can be a great beginner's bike. But heed all the warnings here, the power is MUCH more than the little bikes in the MSF course. Touchier too.

If you're a little worried about the size of the FZ6R, start with a 250 for a year or so. The re-sale value is such that you can still recoup most of what you paid at the end of that year, especially if you buy used now.

cbzdel

my first full size, i have had a couple scoots, my ruckus being my favorite even though it was my slowest lol

uscgduncan

xplodnstar

What the heck is a glowing windscreen picture? I can't wait to see that. All of your other mods are awesome. Keep it up.

xplodnstar

xplodnstar

What the heck is a glowing windscreen picture? I can't wait to see that. All of your other mods are awesome. Keep it up.
I have a plan to use UV LEDs on my windscreen. I'm still trying to get the pic I want just right in PhotoDraw. I need it to print out to be usable as a stencil and still distinguishable as what it is. Pic will definitely go up when it's done.