Is this crash worth fixing myself or going through insurance?

I'm completely confused about this insurance thing...

I was told by another department that as long as I have a payout, it's a chargeable claim, but then they told me it wasn't because I didn't have a police report on the first claim I had last January. I was also told that as long as the police reported the incident and it goes on my driving record, regardless of what kind of accident it was, it will be chargeable.

I told them about this recent accident and how I got a police report...They said the claim would be chargeable because of that... However, the previous department said that I'm allowed to have a police report for my own documentation and that shouldn't affect insurance, since I was the only party involved.

Good news, I really inspected the bike today and did a pretty good once over.

The bike doesn't have anything internally wrong with it. It shifts fine and rolls just as well when I pull in the clutch. It looks like mostly I fudged up the plastics and gear shift lever.

I'm going to replace the shifter myself and then from there go piece by piece. The faring rash isn't all that bad either.

I may still have it looked at once I fix the shifter and it's rideable.

At least this is some good news for me :).

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Thank you for the suggestions guys. I'll look into it, but I really don't have any extra cash to trade up my 6R to something else at the moment. I'm gonna keep this baby for a while, at least for now :).

Does anyone have experience with touch up paint, etc?

I wanted to buy one of these kits, but wasn't sure if I needed anymore more than the pen for a quick touch up on the faring.

Yamaha 0903 Black Metallic X (SMX) - ColorRite

Alright, that's fine. Are you suggesting I buy their full aerosol kit?

I wonder if I can go to a shop and get a custom graphic put on, haha :p. Kidding though, that's expensive.

So far I priced out roughly $200 in just mechanical parts on my bike with no body work. I don't think that's TOO bad...

Last edited:

vengeance44

The mechanical is the cheapest parts if u want factory fairings that's when it gets expensive. I know bc I had a wreck and I have replaced the entire left side of my bike. For the painting all u need is a little sander 15 bucks at Home Depot your choice of paint and clearcoat, time and patience