Is this crash worth fixing myself or going through insurance?

Okay guys, as you know I hit a deer a few weeks back. I left my bike at my friends house and it got rained on and snowed on a few times. The chain got really rusty, but I was able to ride it home in 1st gear for the 1,000 FT distance to home yesterday.

My question is, should I claim my bike and pay the $500 deductible and have a possible raise on my premium to fix the bike professionally at a dealer? Or, should I buy a few parts and do it myself?

The one thing I noticed was, the bike was a little hesitant when I was revving it. It seemed a little sluggish. Also, when I was moving the bike in my garage it felt like something internal was making it harder to push the bike when I pulled the clutch in.

If you don't already know, I only hit a deer and tipped over and slid about 10' or 20' feet. Nothing major happened. I can't see there being a ton of damage while I was only going about 20-25 MPH.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
If I don't replace the side fairing panel, would that lower the cost significantly? I was thinking of just using some touch-up paint on it.

I wonder what the bezel costs that goes around the speedo.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
I'll try to get insurance to send someone out to give an estimate and take photos.

Do I have to worry about rust, etc?

Is there anything I can do to the bike to protect it more? How about those frame sliders that go on the front of the faring? Do they make any that DON'T break off when you hit the ground?

This is so maddening as a new rider. I'm going to fall, it's inevitable. If every small dump is going to do this, I don't know what to do as a rider.

shocker35

hitting the ground that hard and for that length is still rough on a bike, thats more than just a small bump. I replaced almost my entire left side of my bike last year. I agree that you're looking at around 800-1000 in parts. The side fairing you are going to have to replace. I mean I guess if you want to sand it all the way down and repaint but it may looked warped when then light hits it. check out this site: Honda | Suzuki | Yamaha | Can-Am | Ski-Doo | Sea-Doo | Motorcycle | ATV | Scooter | Parts | Accessories. see if a local shop will match their prices. usually if you are buying all the parts you need from a single shop they will match. I would also check ebay.

when i went down the insurance gave me $2300 after the deductible and all the parts cost me around $1300

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

I vote as Nasty said. Make sure the bike is mechanically sound first.

Then GO NAKED ! Save a fortune in plastic costs, get some new handle bars or clipons if you wanna get funky, bar end mirrors, maybe some FZ1/FZ8 headlight parts, and ride on !

I know this crash is different, but the last dump I had where I literally tipped over at approximately the same speed resulted in nothing wrong with the bike mechanically, except the handlebars were bent. Not actually bent...I mean they got pushed down in the grip that holds the bars together.

Maybe I can get the bike towed to the shop and have them look at it before I do a huge claim.

I kinda love this bike... Maybe it'd be a little more indestructible :p.

I really want to become a better rider.. I feel like I'm going to have to fall a lot of times in order to do it. I can't even picture myself going into a serious lean for cornering.

As long as I don't break anything or do something that would make a bike mechanically unsound to ride safely, I'll ride it even after a lot of falls.

Deathdiesel

I really want to become a better rider.. I feel like I'm going to have to fall a lot of times in order to do it. I can't even picture myself going into a serious lean for cornering.

As long as I don't break anything or do something that would make a bike mechanically unsound to ride safely, I'll ride it even after a lot of falls.
Are you riding a lot in the rain? Sorry just see a lot of rust on chain, and handlebar. The main thing on corners turns that will get you is surface. Hit a patch of gravel or sand and the best rider is gunna go down without seeing it.

No, I actually don't ride in the rain often. I said in the 1st post that it got rusty from leaving it at my friends house uncovered. Can't believe it was never tarped by him. :/

Yes, I have taken a basic and I did well with it. I never made the time to take the advanced course though. I'm sure it can help me, but I don't know if I'll really learn how to corner better without pushing it to an extreme level and getting used to it.

Deathdiesel

If it were me, I would go for the advanced course. To my knowledge they often try to teach the more dificult issues with riding. Just food for your thought. And I would consider going naked with the damage you currently have, and I would certainly thump the hell out of my friend for not covering my bike.

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Just talked with insurance today.

Apparently, the first claim I had back in January was not "chargeable" because I was the only one involved in the accident, even though I was apparently at fault for falling on a sandy off ramp. Anyway, a supervisor told me that they can't predict if this new claim will be chargeable, but using the last claim as a good example it looks like it might not be.

1 chargeable accident = 20% increase in insurance.

2 or more chargeable accident = 75% increase in insurance.

I realize I had no control over hitting a deer, but I'm starting to lean more towards an on/off road type bike with a motor guard like the BMW's. It sucks how it's so much more money :/. I do love my FZ6R, it's freaking gorgeous in the summer when I'm down at the beach :D.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited: