Is this bike the best starter in its class for a big guy?

Iscariott

I'm prepping for my first bike buy this summer, target date is July 1st. I've sat on several bikes already and zero'd in on the 650(ish) bikes as fitting my body best. Of the ones I've seen the fz6r appeals to me most, but I like the SV and the Ninja too. I haven't sat on the cbr500r yet but it's on my list of maybes.

I know you guys get a lot of new rider questions, but I wasn't able to find the answer I need through a search. I'm a big guy, close to 300lbs, and the big complaint I'm seeing from people about the fz6r is the suspension being very light. I can't test ride any of the bikes I'm looking at(dealerships) so I'm looking to you guys for advice. I know the front end is not adjustable on the fz6r, I'm not sure about the other ones. Am I going to have a nightmare on my hands(or in this case my big fat ***) when it comes to cornering with the fz6r with its suspension, if so is there something economical I can do to fix the problem?

If not do you have a suggestion for an alternative among the similar bikes? Thanks in advance

latony007

I'm prepping for my first bike buy this summer, target date is July 1st. I've sat on several bikes already and zero'd in on the 650(ish) bikes as fitting my body best. Of the ones I've seen the fz6r appeals to me most, but I like the SV and the Ninja too. I haven't sat on the cbr500r yet but it's on my list of maybes.

I know you guys get a lot of new rider questions, but I wasn't able to find the answer I need through a search. I'm a big guy, close to 300lbs, and the big complaint I'm seeing from people about the fz6r is the suspension being very light. I can't test ride any of the bikes I'm looking at(dealerships) so I'm looking to you guys for advice. I know the front end is not adjustable on the fz6r, I'm not sure about the other ones. Am I going to have a nightmare on my hands(or in this case my big fat ***) when it comes to cornering with the fz6r with its suspension, if so is there something economical I can do to fix the problem?

If not do you have a suggestion for an alternative among the similar bikes? Thanks in advance
I am no expert but the 3 bikes you mentioned are all in the same class range and I would imagine handle similarly. I would certainly stiffen the springs up no matter which you get, or make sure that you can stiffen them on all bikes, I know you can on the FZ6R.

This your first bike period? Sport is a lot of fun but may want to look at a cruiser for your first, generally bigger support more weight.

WeatherB

If I recall, the max load of the FZ6R is 470lbs so it should be okay for you even stock. Think like this, even a 170 lbs rider with a 100 lbs passenger is still 270 lbs. :)

The handling will be negatively affected because it's more suited for a 170 lbs rider but I doubt you'll notice the difference as a new rider.

You can always stiffen up the suspension as your skills progress.

BbyDenns

My wife and I ride 2-up (weight somewhere around 350+) and I haven't had any problems.
I have leaned it pretty far with her on and it felt stable.

Just remember your limits and ride within them!

Edit: That is with stock suspension settings. Pre-load is 4 or 5 I believe.

Last edited:

Headlessmunky

I am also a big guy. I sat on the CBR500R and it was very comfortable. My buddy has an SV650SF and it is okay to ride. I rode it around the parking lot and it wasn't as comfortable as the FZ. I adjusted the preload on the suspension of the FZ6R and it handles better with my weight. I am sure you will be fine with the handling of the bike. That is the main reason I went with the FZ over a 250.

Chucker

All of the bikes you mentioned will have similar suspension, so what I'm about to suggest would apply to all.. For around $300 (+ labour if you don't do it yourself) you can change your springs to the proper spring rates for your weight and put in heavier fork oil. I would suggest this for anyone who is over 180LB. It makes a world of difference.

Check out the Racetech website and you can see what springs apply and what the cost would be. It is the best mod you can do.

Iscariott

Thanks for the pointer, I should be able to swing that around the time I would want a more refined suspension anyway :)

Definitely thinking I'm going to go with the fz6r at this point.

danieljardim

Thanks for the pointer, I should be able to swing that around the time I would want a more refined suspension anyway :)

Definitely thinking I'm going to go with the fz6r at this point.
Go for it, I'm bigger than you and loved everything on the bike but one thing. When you braking you better grip the fuel tank as hard as you can, Our weight is gonna make you crush your nuts on the tank all the time.

Osoreru

When I bought my FZ6R (my first bike), I weighed roughly 250 lbs at 6'3. It did absolutely fine for me. I'm now down to ~215ish, and my fiancee is around 160, and we ride 2 up all the time with no issue. This bike is amazing as a starter. Has plenty of power without being over the top.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

latony007

The Ninja 650 would be my last choice of the bunch. I'm not a huge fan of the bike in general, but I do love the chassis. Unfortunately for you, the chassis and seat are probably the slimmest of the three you're looking at.

I don't know how they ride or how they are to sit on, but have you looked at the Versys or Gladius? They are mechanically similar to what you're looking at but might have beefier suspension as they look geared towards the adventure rider.

FZ6R has an amazing clutch and the power is silky smooth. You'll love it.
The Suzuki Gladius in a really nice bike, if you dont mind naked i would certainly take a look at it. Im with Mister T on Kawi but im sure we are. we all had the option of getting the ninja 650 and did not. For me it was the better suspension and i liked the inline 4 cylinder vs. the v-twin that led me to the yamaha.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

latony007

It's 414 (non-CA model), or 412 (CA model). It's in the owner's manual (here) on page 2-3. It's also covered in a thread from July 2011, which you can find from google (search using "maximum weight site:www.600cc.org"), or even the forum's search, if you skip over all of the "I work out and can bench ..." threads.
The 2lbs must be how much the emissions crap weighs

latony007

Small price to pay for breathable air. :)
i agree, i hate the xtra costs and im in the transportation business and the CARB regulations have been a big pain however growing up here in the late 70's you could barely see the mountains, they have really cleaned up the air here a lot.

jocampo

You'll be fine.

But you'll sell your 1st bike at some point :). So don't worry too much about small details now.

Now, the Street Triple R is a naked bike, but if I recall well is fully adjustable and the suspension is more stiff than the fz6r. I used to own a Street Triple and it was an awesome bike. But there are no fairings and it is certainly more expensive and powerful than the fz6r.