Is this a good deal? lets play help the new guy

Stuntman206

2009 FZ6R with 15 miles on it for $6000. I am a new rider and do really like the bike. Its the right color combo and everything seems just right. Just want to make sure I am not over paying.

Thanks!

Jordon

Deputyfarva252

Too much in my opinion , I have one for sale for half of that if you want to make a bit of a drive....its listed in the for sale threads.....but really, i understand it only has 15 miles on it but its 3 years old and technically with 15 miles its not a brand new bike.

DakinechicK

Definitely better deals out there. Ispoolin has a GREAT bike for sale...imo. So do a few others on this board. 6k is too much. Good luck.

bigddy263

agreed, I paid $5760 otd for my 2009 with 0 miles from a dealer in March.

djf18374

I paid $4,999 OTD for my Brand New 0 miles '09 6R...$6,000 is too much, way too much! Just my opinion of course :rolleyes:

JSP

Super Moderator
Agree with the others. Too much.

Stuntman206

dang, ok. So what would be a fair price then do you all think? I plan to ride this bike for a while, get used to riding, and then trade it in for an FZ8. I really want an FZ8, but am not sure its a great bike to start on. I am a responsible adult, and can go easy on it, so if you guys think I would be able to start out with the FZ8, let me know that as well. I would just as soon by pass the FZ6R all together.

Thanks for the help guys,
Jordon

JSP

Super Moderator
dang, ok. So what would be a fair price then do you all think? I plan to ride this bike for a while, get used to riding, and then trade it in for an FZ8. I really want an FZ8, but am not sure its a great bike to start on. I am a responsible adult, and can go easy on it, so if you guys think I would be able to start out with the FZ8, let me know that as well. I would just as soon by pass the FZ6R all together.

Jordon

If you can start on an FZ6R I think you would be fine with the FZ8. I have never ridden an FZ8 but the ergos are pretty similar. Power wise, thats all up to you and your wrist. What other riding experience do you have?

findmadhav

I agree. 6K is a rip off.

The kbb for a 09 FZ6R is 4820 right now. Even though the bike has only 15 miles on it, it is used and when you try to sell the bike later, people would not want to pay even kbb for it. Anything above 5K is a bad deal.

Deanohh

Jordon
If you've never ridden before, I wouldn't even start with the FZ6R. Get a used 250 or 400 something and ride it around until controlling it becomes second nature. Even the lightweights go plenty fast.

If you have riding experience, go right for the fZ8 if that's what you really want. Never rode one but I had a FZ1 and its not any harder to control than the FZ6R.... unless you like to play with the throttle. The only thing the fairings do is make it harder to change the oil.

amikum

6k seems little high. I have been looking at some bikes in Chicago area. I am looking for blue color only. The best quote from a private seller is 4800$ for 2009 FZ6R with 6200 miles. It does not have any mods or anything. Bike seems in a good condition. Not sure if 4800 is the right price...appreciate any feedback!!...thanks

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Stuntman206

wow, OK. I totally understand that line of thinking, but is it overkill? I mean I have a friend who started on a CBR600, and he did fine, I looked at the Kawasaki ER-6n and the general feeling was that it was a great starting bike for me. I don't mind starting out on less of a bike than I may one day end up with, but if applying intelligence, focus, and care to the learning process, makes it at all possible to pickup the FZ8 from the get-go, I would be inclined to take that route. I am not a crazy speed demon, stunter, or other type of adrenaline junkie, I am looking to have a good time commuting to work and riding down the shore, but I want a good looking, quality bike. The FZ8 fits perfectly into my visual guidelines, and also performance; not too powerful, and not too sluggish, just about right.

My only riding experience is with Quads, Jetskis, wave runners, and bicycles. I have never ridden a motorcycle on the street. I know this is going to envoke immediate gasps followed by "NO WAY!", (lol) but realistically, would I be able to start with these 800cc?

Thanks again guys,
Jordon

EDIT: I am 27, 6'2" fluctuating from 177-200lbs

If you've never ridden before, I wouldn't even start with the FZ6R. Get a used 250 or 400 something and ride it around until controlling it becomes second nature. Even the lightweights go plenty fast.

If you have riding experience, go right for the fZ8 if that's what you really want. Never rode one but I had a FZ1 and its not any harder to control than the FZ6R.... unless you like to play with the throttle. The only thing the fairings do is make it harder to change the oil.

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

oldtouring b

Gasp!!

27 and never ridden:( If I were you , I would start with a 500cc or smaller in excellent used condition. Ride it for a few months. Sell it for what you paid. Then get the FZ8. The odds are in favor of a minor laydown and it is much better for you and your bank account if it is used. A basic riding course would be good also. Good luck with your search.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Deanohh

wow, OK. I totally understand that line of thinking, but is it overkill? I mean I have a friend who started on a CBR600, and he did fine, I looked at the Kawasaki ER-6n and the general feeling was that it was a great starting bike for me. I don't mind starting out on less of a bike than I may one day end up with, but if applying intelligence, focus, and care to the learning process, makes it at all possible to pickup the FZ8 from the get-go, I would be inclined to take that route. I am not a crazy speed demon, stunter, or other type of adrenaline junkie, I am looking to have a good time commuting to work and riding down the shore, but I want a good looking, quality bike. The FZ8 fits perfectly into my visual guidelines, and also performance; not too powerful, and not too sluggish, just about right.

My only riding experience is with Quads, Jetskis, wave runners, and bicycles. I have never ridden a motorcycle on the street. I know this is going to envoke immediate gasps followed by "NO WAY!", (lol) but realistically, would I be able to start with these 800cc?

Thanks again guys,
Jordon

EDIT: I am 27, 6'2" fluctuating from 177-200lbs
Obviosly you want the 800 so just get it... not that big of a deal. I don't see the power of the bike as a problem. The only reason I suggested to get something smaller and lighter first is to get used to maneuvering around and parking and thinking ahead of where you are going to go, especially at low speeds or stopped. Its not hard to get out of shape because of uneven terrain or loose footing. It wouldn't be unusual to tip it over just trying to move it around in the garage, that is until you get in tune with the techniques... and a 460 pound bike is not easy to stand up again and there will be repairs to make if that happens.