Is there a way to block spam text messages?

pyrocpu

Anyone know of a way to block spam text messages, on say, an iPhone?

It's starting to get out of hand. Changing my number is out of the question, but these are batch messages sent every 90min or so, from a number I don't know. Plus, some of them are late/middle of the night! :mad:

From what I had read last (circa 2005-6) was that the mobile providers really don't care and/or can't do it...??

Anyone know? :confused:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You can have your provider block the number by telling them they are harassing you.

Detrich

^ what rob said.

to add to that tho... it varies with the carrier (att, verizon, t-mobile etc.). as i recall, verizon only gives u on/off selection. that is, all txt'ing is either on or off. same with att. and, u can contact them and ask them to turn it off completely. (some might give u access via your web account portable to do the same.)

problem is, the spammers and/ or legitimate ppl trying to txt u don't get any notification the txt'ing is not getting rec'd- depending on the carrier. att, for example, the sender just sends the txt, and it looks like it went thru.

when i asked ATT, they said to just turn off txting for a few weeks and then turn it back on and see if the spam stopped or not. not exactly very helpful. :(

TrueBlue

I've never had that problem and have never once received a spam text message. Do you often sign up for those ridiculous programs that send you a joke as a text message every day or offer free ringtone downloads, something similar? I would highly recommend against those if you want to keep your phone spam free.

As far as blocking the messages that you are already getting, there is only a limited number of options. If you have a smartphone you can probably find an anti-spam application or security program that will filter them out, however in order for that to work your phone will still have to accept the text message, which will go against your text message limit that you have on your plan.

If it is the same number every time then try and contact your service provider and see if there is anything that you can do to get the number blocked. However as they said usually the only real solution they offer is turning off all text messages.

Detrich

i don't get a lot of phone spam, but i can understand the headache. i do know that u can send SMS and text messages from email directly- such as yahoo, gmail etc. so a spammer doesn't even need to use a phone to send the messages. and, when you receive the spam txts, they show up like some weirdass number that is not a phone number or anything that you can legitimately "block."

so bottom line is, keep your cell # private as best you can.