Is it bad to go from Synthetic back to regular oil?

romulan

As a heavy duty mechanic i have seen the results of synthetic and dino oil up close. If you are going to make the switch I recommend letting the oil drain for at least a day. Any mixture of the two oil types will result in the internal parts and oil galleries becoming plugged with sludge and blocking or limiting propper oil flow.

IMO the only time to switch between the two oil types is after (or during) a rebuild to eliminate any cross contamination

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I used BG Oil Flush

JSP

Super Moderator
As a heavy duty mechanic i have seen the results of synthetic and dino oil up close. If you are going to make the switch I recommend letting the oil drain for at least a day. Any mixture of the two oil types will result in the internal parts and oil galleries becoming plugged with sludge and blocking or limiting propper oil flow.

IMO the only time to switch between the two oil types is after (or during) a rebuild to eliminate any cross contamination
Sorry, I call complete BS... What about Semi-Syn? You can make your own mixes yourself if you so choose. As long as you are using the proper weight and rating your vehicle requires. You as a mechanic see the results of improper engine maintenance! There would not be sludge at all, dino or synth if it was maintained properly in the first place....

Myths About Synthetic Motor Oils

Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > Full-Synthetic Motor Oil

Expert Advice from Auto Professionals at Castrol Premium Lube Express

Cash Back Bonus Homepage | Quaker State

Motor Oil Matters :: Matters Of Fact

http://www.redlineoil.com/techinfo_faq.aspx

http://www.imakenews.com/rotella/e_article000398800.cfm?x=b11,0,w

I guess the actual engineers of the oils are full of it?

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

if anything the additional detergents in a full syn will prevent the blocking all on its own haha

romulan

How do you call BS on an opinion? I am speaking from my experience and training. I am not an engineer or chemist.

I am the guy who gets out of bed at 2 in the morning because an operator has mixed oils and blown an engine

Everyone has different experience and I respect that. As far as blends, they are a totally different class of lubricant which I haven't come across in my career, if there is a better way I'm all for it.

I prefer to spend my money on fuel rather than pricey synthetics.

Just my 2cents

JSP

Super Moderator
How do you call BS on an opinion? I am speaking from my experience and training. I am not an engineer or chemist.

I am the guy who gets out of bed at 2 in the morning because an operator has mixed oils and blown an engine

Everyone has different experience and I respect that. As far as blends, they are a totally different class of lubricant which I haven't come across in my career, if there is a better way I'm all for it.

Just my 2cents
What do you work on? I am not speaking for heavy machinery. We are talking auto engines and straight from the engineers mouth there is no issue at all.Proper intervals is the most important thing and there will be no sludge issues in the first place. Every vehicle i have owned including my R6 has gone back and forth. There is no issue or concern.

raybob

What do you work on? I am not speaking for heavy machinery. We are talking auto engines and straight from the engineers mouth there is no issue at all.Proper intervals is the most important thing and there will be no sludge issues in the first place. Every vehicle i have owned including my R6 has gone back and forth. There is no issue or concern.
Absolutely correct. The zombies are out tonight, dude.

Bob

JSP

Super Moderator

Just my 2cents
I would like to apologize if I sounded rude... I just wanted to clarify that different machines and the oils for those machines are different creatures. Such as my boat motor. The gear lube cannot be mixed, synthetic with conventional. The oils were not made to be compatible. It specifically states that on the different oils. So the machine and the type of oil do matter. I just want to keep it on topic regarding our MC and auto engines. The oils made for autos are completely compatible with each other and will not cause issues like other oils in other machines can cause. :thumbup: Sorry if I came off rude. I do respect your opinion.

CrazyCawi

I agree with you there jsp, no one is doggin the opinion just the fact that were comparing apples and oranges when talking heavy machine->high performance bikes/cars

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member