Is chain removal possible without splitting the chain?

Heineken

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

ajskillz13

What sort of tools / brushes do you guys use to clean the chain before lubing up?

I'm sure I'll be needing to do this process sooner than later. I've only had it done with the 600 mile service and it's about to be riding season.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

DocFZ

Look on the Indysuperbike website... Vortex. You can select your ratio or color... very cool and there price are ok.
Yeah Vortex is the way to go

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Please also note that should you get a new chain, do not get a chain with a master link. Always get a chain with a riveted link. Yes, they are a PITA to remove and replace but with anything over 500cc, a clip-style master link chain can spell trouble. One of the guys on the FZ6 forum put a master link chain on his bike. $1400 later, he is back riding. The link let go and the chain went through the engine case tearing up a mess of other parts along the way. He's DARNED lucky he did not go down. ;)

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

Chucker

It is really kinked and some surface rust. I have my rear wheel off and I will soak it in kerosene and clean it step by step, a little bit every day this week. If by the end of the week results will be satisfactory I will keep it until next season, if not I will buy a new OEM chain (cheaper than the after-market alternatives).

P.S. I've cleaned my chain and the lube it, rode 50 miles then cleaned it again...and the mess you see there is coming out of a "cleaned" chain, I really hope the kerosene diet will rehabilitate the chain, I'm poor don't have $200 bucks
for another chain and the breaker/riveter chain tool. Disclaimer: picture was taken with an iPhone, so naturally the quality sucks, I don't accept no complaints :)).

My fear would be you end up having to buy new sprockets because you don't want to buy a new chain yet. I once had a chain that kept stretching, and the bike was my only mode of transportation. I was adjusting it regularly, trying to avoid replacing it, and ended up having to replace all 3 parts because I screwed up my sprockets bad enough they would have taken the life out of a new chain. Lesson learned - I would have saved in the long run if I hadn't tried to stretch out the chain life (no pun intended).

Heineken

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member