Is a Hollow Rubbing Noise Normal?

latony007

Update: Cold as all get out today, but took her out for about 5 hours anyway. How cold was it? At 65mph the engine temp was 162...

Did the turn-off thing and the pull the clutch in thing. No difference. I was just too darn cold when I got back to lift the front end and spin the wheel, but that's OK, because I noticed something important today.

My backroads roaming took me over varying types of pavement. There were a couple types of surfaces, where when I hit them, the noise stopped! It didn't fade out or anything, it simply stopped on a particular surface and then started again the moment I changed surfaces.

The normal asphalt in this area is very pebbly, even on the highways. It's when I went onto a visibly smooth surface the noise ended.

I'm still not sure it's tire noise alone. I think what may be happening is the road surface is setting up a high-speed vibration in the plastic fairing. This equates audibly to the mid-pitch hollow tone I've been worried about.

It should be warmer on my next day off on Thursday. I hope to strip her naked and take her out. I'll let ya'll know what happens.
my first suggestion would be to move someplace warmer, then worry about the noise LOL :D

rregal

Brake Pads not retracting

I know of two reasons why the bike brake pads may be rubbing. 1) The Caliper Pistons are coated with crud and aren’t retracting. Remedy is to unbolt the brakes and remove the pads and clean the pistons. 2) The Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir was overfilled and there isn’t any air to compress allowing the pistons to retract. You should never fill beyond the line in the reservoir.
Reference the below video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlmdCkokbE&feature=player_embedded]How to replace front brake pads on a motorcycle from SportbikeTrackGear.com - YouTube[/ame]