Integrated Tail Light Saved My Life (also safe riding)

Sandro

I just got to work and decided I had to write about this as I still have chills at the momment. A few minutes ago I watched a car a few vehicles ahead of me flip and end up facing me upside down on fire. I just wanted to remind everyone to ride safe. constantly check be checking your mirrors and be looking as far ahead of you as possible which is what I was doing. Even with cautious riding I still locked up my rear tire trying to stop but I was able to ride it out thankfully which is why i mention the tail light. Thanks to MistahT for suggesting the motodynamics tail light which i was able to install myself very easily. this tail light will blink very quickly a few times once you apply the breaks and then stay a solid red. I beleive this is why I did not get rear-ended and end up a part of the pile up and another statistic.

Thanks to anyone reading this and taking it to heart! RIDE SAFE

Ohmz

Thanks, will be getting one of those taillights when I get my bike back on the road. Rear ended when coming to a stop on approach to a roundabout.. Maybe if my rear light flashed it would have caught the drivers attention. Was following a car the other day, it's rear light was constantly going off rapidly every 3 secs or so, was quite attention grabbing.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Sandro

Yeah you are right, I still cant stop thinking about it. The idiots beside me wouldn't let me over either so I had to ride within a couple feet of the flaming car.

This reminds me of a wreck I saw last summer before I had my fz. Im in the right turn lane and am waiting for traffic to clear or the light to turn green. Right when my light turns green, I hear a loud, long tire skid. Then BAM! A SUV flies across the intersection with its rear FLYING and front barely touching the ground. It lands on the other side of this intersection. Problem was it landed on a car. This teenager rear ended the suv with a car. He was likely doing 100+ on a 30 mph road.

By far, the worst wreak I have seen and will remember to this day. I personally couldnt stay to see the horrors but when I got to work I was really shaking.

ST3RL0

I think the upside down car is what made traffic stop. Not your taillight

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Oconer

I have motodynamics tail lights and they didn't do jack for me when I got rear ended at a stop light and was the only one at the stop light...

JSP

Super Moderator
Scary stuff. A flashing light is always better than a solid one. Especially in panic situations, when you cant think to pump the light yourself.

Some drivers just dont pay attention to either though. But even if it causes 1 person to pay attention, its worth it IMO! :thumbup:

yillbs

This is pretty neat. I'm going to see how it works out.

BackOFF

if you want to keep stock tail, you can also add one of these. I got one off a guy who ordered the wrong one for a bit of a discount. But same principal, it flashed three times, then solid, then repeats... perfect for when sitting at a light as well.

Glad you were paying attention and saw that... I'd probably be shaking all day after seeing something like that! :eek:

pkoko

Just a little advice for everyone. Practice your emergency braking. Go to a parking lot or empty road and attempt repeated stops from 40 MPH. You should never lock the rear tire. As a mater of fact, some track instructors recommend to only use the front brakes in emergency and focus on control and modulation. On a sport bike 90% of the braking comes from the front tire.