In line 4 vs V twin (Ninja 650 vs fz6r) what's the main difference

jocampo

Ok

So ... I'm a happy owner of a brand new Yamaha. The more I ride the bike, the more convinced I am about my decision. One of the factor was the engine and ergonomics.

But can anyone confirm or elaborate on this? Is the 4 in line engine one of the reasons why is so silence and smooth vs the Ninja 650? Also, not sure if this was discussed before, but does the Ninja 650 has higher torque at higher rpms? Found a dyno chart for the Yamaha but not for the Ninja.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Captain_Kev

The FZ6R and Ninja 650 are similarly powered.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650 vs. 2009 Suzuki GSX650F vs. 2010 Yamaha FZ6R - Motorcycle.com

Dyno chart is near the middle. Here's another dyno chart w/ torque curves, almost positive that the ER6N uses the same engine as the ninja 650R.

Econo Bike Shootout Horsepower Torque Chart Photo 60

I used to own a 2008 Ninja 650R, and the entire bike vibrated like crazy at ~4500 to 5400 RPM (right where you keep the revs around town). It got very annoying very quickly, but I didn't know any different until I rode the FZ6R. The difference in smoothness between the twin and the inline 4 is night and day.

You made the right choice :thumbup:

jocampo

I used to own a 2008 Ninja 650R, and the entire bike vibrated like crazy at ~4500 to 5400 RPM (right where you keep the revs around town). It got very annoying very quickly, but I didn't know any different until I rode the FZ6R. The difference in smoothness between the twin and the inline 4 is night and day.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Its always better read that from an actual owner or user than any random article on Internet.

Yeah, I was not able to test the Ninja but read a lot before final purchase.

May I know why you sold the Ninja? and how it compares in comfort with the fz6r?

Thanks for reply!

Fenixgoon

The FZ6R and Ninja 650 are similarly powered.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650 vs. 2009 Suzuki GSX650F vs. 2010 Yamaha FZ6R - Motorcycle.com

Dyno chart is near the middle. Here's another dyno chart w/ torque curves, almost positive that the ER6N uses the same engine as the ninja 650R.

Econo Bike Shootout Horsepower Torque Chart Photo 60

yeah my roommate has a ninja500, which is a parallel twin. the difference in smoothness is incredible.

Bloke

V twin had immense amounts of engine breaking, that was the biggest difference I noticed. IL4 has a good amount but throttle off on an sv650 and it's like you hit the brakes.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

FZ6R66

My son has the 650R and I have FZ6R. I looked at both when I was buying. My son had his bike already. He always complains about how annoying his bike is when he is cruising with the vibration. It is very torquey down low and middle. But the FZ is so smooth and revs much higher. The transmission is better and the time intervals between valve adjustments is better. The gauge package is better on the FZ. The mirrors are better. The quality of the bolts used for assembly. Overall the Yamaha is a better bike. I am definitely pleased with my choice.

SAFE-T

The Kawasaki parallel twin has had a reputation for being annoying ever since it was the EX500 back in 1994.

It always seems to rate fairly high in comparison tests, but I think the media is mostly afraid to say anything too negative lest it cost them advertising revenue.

Better they should say "Handles great. Engine vibration totally sucks. Good bike if you are only riding a short distance. Which is what motorcycling is for 90% of people on sportbikes anyway. So if handling performance is more important to you than long-distance comfort and you are interested in a mid-size sporty bike, the Kawi is worth considering. Otherwise, keep looking."

Honestly, the only way you would ever find one in my possession is if you gave it to me. And then I would sell it and buy something else.

See red

I rode both the 650r and 6r BEFORE I bought the 6r. I will say the the kawi 650 twin is NOT a shaker, they have better low end punch as apposed to the 6r is happier once yoou wind it out. I did notice the 650r is better around town, and even for 60mph, but I had every intention to tour this bike, and as such more on the highways, I wanted it to be a little heavier and a little smoother on high speeds, I really wanted the gsx650f but they stopped making them in 09. It would have been a little bit better yet due to it weighs another 75lbs. and a little bigger. The ninja is actually smaller than our bike.

I don't think they are bad just not what I needed or wanted.

porange

I had a 2009 Ninja 650r before my 09 FZ6R. My Kawi was completely stock, but my Yami has a full Two Bros Exhaust and PCV which I recently mapped with forum-member Marthy's help. Here's my comparison:

Vibration: My Ninja didn't annoy me with vibrations any more than my FZ, except in the mirrors. In my Kawi @ highway speeds I couldn't make out car headlights in my side mirrors because they shook so much, I don't have that problem with my Yami. ALSO I have always worn riding boots on both bikes, so some n00b riding in his K Swiss might think the vibrations feel worse.

Power: Riding stock models I bet that they are almost identical when it comes to power. However, after getting a decent map on my PCV I can say with 100% confidence that my FZ is a crapload more peppy than the Ninja. Top speed they are about the same, (130ish give or take) but my modified Yami accelerates faster.

Overall: I am much more impressed by my FZ6R than by my 650r. I attribute most of this to the 2 extra cylinders, but there are other factors in play as well. On the flip side, there is just something I miss about my Bright Spanking Red Ninja that beckons me to ride it again. (I was hit by a Prius and it was totaled, so it's not like I gave it up by choice.)

See red

I felt the same way about both bikes. They were about equal. stock/stock.

The ninja is 50lbs lighter and a bit more narrow in the waist, so it is even easier to fling around at lower speeds. Perhaps that is what your missing.

Captain_Kev

Wow, thanks for sharing. Its always better read that from an actual owner or user than any random article on Internet.

Yeah, I was not able to test the Ninja but read a lot before final purchase.

May I know why you sold the Ninja? and how it compares in comfort with the fz6r?

Thanks for reply!
I didn't sell it... I totaled it low siding on a decreasing radius turn in the twisties when I was a new rider and an oncoming car ran over the swingarm (and almost me). Road rash is no fun, gear up.

But on the bright side, if that hadn't happened, I wouldn't own a kick ass FZ6R :Sport:

Bigevildoer

We're talking Apples to Oranges here guys...
Parallel twins have 2 larger bore cylinders side by side (Ninja 650). I4's (FZ6R in this case) have 4 much smaller cylinders in a row side by side. Any twin will not be able to rev as high due to the larger bore and longer stroke. That's what creates the vibrations. Chances are the parallel twins generate more torque down low, but less in the upper range when compared to an i4.
Then you get the V's (SV650 would be comparable in bike/motor size), when generate GOBS of torque down low, flatten a little through the mid range and drop at the peak. They generally have a very smooth torque curve if mapped properly.

Last edited: