Improvements required in FZ6R

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

b_who

frelay

was this difficult to install?
It was not difficult to install at all. The only difficult part was to find the right connector to plug in as well as the right wire to splice. I chose the green display. Probably one of the best add-ons so far!

Fogride

If you need adj. suspension you bought the wrong bike. The adjust on the fly is pretty pricey and you need to be pretty good to know how to adjust it. I know some people who write down the settings for one up, one up for twistys, track day, two up,etc.
I watch the tach to figure out what gear I'm in up hi, watch the neutral light flash to make sure I'm in low gear. I do have another bike in my garage that has a 6th gear light. Seems to be all I need and its gotta be cheaper than 6 lights.
The turn signals do cause problems. I just don't use them much. I had several bikes that I converted to flash when you hold the button down and quit when you let go. It was a free fix and worked for me. Not sure it would work with a single switch though.
I only use the handles to tie my tail bag on. I like it for that and I seldom carry a passenger.
I think this little bike is the best value for a 600, all those extras and a little more HP, stronger frame,etc, would cost 6 figures plus.

RoadTrip

first post.

I love my FZ6R, got a new 09 on sale, put 1000 miles on it since buying it last month.

I like the upright ergos and power is adequate (my first bike).

Changes:

Perhaps make it a tad less touring (even though it's comfortable), maybe a bit closer to a SS with smaller windscreen, lower mirrors, and a bit more rearward pegs. But, just a minor tweak, not a SS copy, I like the bars and beginner / sport touring approach - just maybe a small tweak for a bit more aggressive body position.

I don't mind the suspension at all, honestly I like a one setting suspension and would probably just end up messing with it all the time if it was adjustable; I can definitely see the need for adjustability on a track bike, though. But, for a beginner on the streets, not so sure adjustability is needed for a fork (of course, I weigh 180, so maybe its dialed for that weight).

It's a great bike, and keeps me out of trouble while I learn, I still think full SS bikes are pure sex and prolly get one eventually, even if uncomfortable and impractical. But, I will keep my FZ6R - just pay that one off first :).

JSP

Super Moderator
The biggest complaint with the FZ6R that I had when I had it was the suspension... After upgrading the front fork springs and oil it was way better. My R6 has fully adjustable suspension and I have yet to adjust it though besides some minor settings. Once weather warms up I will have a full setup done on it.

The bike is pretty much perfect for what they are targeting. It is a great all around motorcycle that doesnt just fit into one category.

Gear indicator is just unnecessary to me.. Need to focus on the road, not staring at your dash. Never had one. My R6 doesnt even have one. I do have a programmable shift light that is pretty cool though. It just flashes and you see it out of the corner of your eyes. No need to take your eyes off the road. So that would be a nice addition possibly.

My wife went on many day long rides with me on the FZ and had no issues at all with the grab bar. My R6 doesnt have one at all and she hates it. I have issues with it as well because now she has to fully support herself off of me mostly now. She doesnt like the seat strap.

I miss the great "do it all aspects" of the FZ. Sure there is some minor stuff that is more for convenience than necessity, but it is a great bike for sure.

raven6

The biggest complaint with the FZ6R that I had when I had it was the suspension... After upgrading the front fork springs and oil it was way better. My R6 has fully adjustable suspension and I have yet to adjust it though besides some minor settings. Once weather warms up I will have a full setup done on it.

The bike is pretty much perfect for what they are targeting. It is a great all around motorcycle that doesnt just fit into one category.

Gear indicator is just unnecessary to me.. Need to focus on the road, not staring at your dash. Never had one. My R6 doesnt even have one. I do have a programmable shift light that is pretty cool though. It just flashes and you see it out of the corner of your eyes. No need to take your eyes off the road. So that would be a nice addition possibly.

My wife went on many day long rides with me on the FZ and had no issues at all with the grab bar. My R6 doesnt have one at all and she hates it. I have issues with it as well because now she has to fully support herself off of me mostly now. She doesnt like the seat strap.

I miss the great "do it all aspects" of the FZ. Sure there is some minor stuff that is more for convenience than necessity, but it is a great bike for sure.
agreed, pretty much perfect for what they are targeting. would have been nice to have adjustable forks and shock. but for street riding (twisties included) its a nice bike... when I traded mine in the dealership had it sold to a new owner within two weeks...

Briguy453

For what it is and what its marketed for its probably the best out there. However. I love the twisties and in this aspect I had 3 major gripes. The front suspension, the stock tires, and the footpegs. I have since changed all 3, it feels like a brand new bike. I can just about get my knee down with the springs being stiffer, tires stickier and I no longer worry about my pegs touching the ground before my knee does. 3 fairly easy fixes. LOVE IT.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Briguy453

I bought my bike last summer and just pop over 8000 miles recently. Here in Florida twisties is not part of the rider vocabulary, unfortunately. With the R6/Supertrapp pipe and PCV, I'm pretty happy with the power gain and throttle response. Now I like to fix some of the handling issues. The rear shock/spring combo seams all right for my 160lbs. But the front I'm not sure how much stiffer I need to go. I can feel the lack of support (springs) and the damping doesn't seams adequate. I've been told 15W oil fix most of the damping issue. But how stiffer you went on your front spring? And how much of a difference did you feel? Does the bike feel like it's "taking a set" once in a corner? I feel on my bike that the front and rear of the bike are kind of disconnected. I never feel like the front of the bike is planted and safe... maybe it's just me... :confused:
I felt the same way. Front felt extremely disconnected. I took it to my shop. They said tension was at 53mm stock. Which is horrendous. Racing is 25-35 mm.its great for long highway cruises. Absolutely awful for twisties. Switched my stock springs out for racetech racing springs. Now my front has about 30mm and rear has 24 with preload at 7. Now it keeps to that line like no ones business. My tires help out a lot too. Putting my tbr exhaust in tomarrow too. So excited.

frelay

A shift light to tell you when to shift? Does it look like this? :cheer:

I know when to change gears...

I don't need to be staring at my dash to see it. I see it as well as when checking my speed, gaz & temp status... Of course, the gear display must obviously be installed where you can see it (does this make sense? :shakehead:) :D

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
A shift light to tell you when to shift? Does it look like this? :cheer:

I know when to change gears...

I don't need to be staring at my dash to see it. I see it as well as when checking my speed, gaz & temp status... Of course, the gear display must obviously be installed where you can see it (does this make sense? :shakehead:) :D
I indeed do not need anything to tell me when to shift. I have up to 16.5K RPM to shift as I please :D. It is a big light (comes stock) that is programmable and It was just kind of a cool little gizmo. Talking about adding things to the FZ6R since most of you wanted a gear indicator, I thought you may want a shift light. You dont have to look at your dash at all, which is what I said previously. If you are riding track and you want to program the light to go off exactly where you need to shift to stay in the full power-band its a good little thing. Thats why they put it on a track bike. Yes, not needed on the street really at all...

Chucker

I bought my FZ6R because of the price and what I got for it. I was looking at used mid to late 80's 750's and found that I was going to have a hobby of fixing instead of riding. When I looked at newer bikes, the price started to get very close to what I paid for my brand new FZ6R - $6900 in Cda. When I compare it to my last bike, a brand new '82 Yamaha Vision 550, which was the best double-nickle rocket in 1982, the FZ6R is unbelievably better in every way and has a very similar riding positon. When I compare it to late 80's 750's, it is better.

I would love to have a gear indicator, self-cancelling turn signals, and better adjustable suspension. But I'm glad the FZ6R doesn't, because it would have jacked up the price and I'd be riding a late 80's 750 right now. Good thing that didn't happen. I love my FZ6R.

wtnotch

The biggest complaint with the FZ6R that I had when I had it was the suspension...
That's pretty much my call too. After I bought my FZ6R in October, I replaced the fork and shock springs with stiffer ones from Race Tech. I also installed the Race Tech emulator valves in the forks and they made a world of difference. The shock is still a little off with the stiffer spring, and it doesn't feel like the rebound damping can keep up. I now have a HyprePro shock on order along with some progressive springs for the forks. One of these days, I'll get it dialed :)

joloy133

I did the hyperpro springs, front and back early on. I am really interested in how the hyperpro works with the emulators on the front. Haven't thought about a full shock replacement for the rear, just changed the spring. My current set up handles better for me in the hills and is still comfortable and stable on the freeways and around town. I don't push it that hard but pick my spots..... Looking forward to your suspension update, may get those emulators although hyperpro has their version also.