I'm in a bit of a predicament

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

Remember; LOCATION, LOCATION; LOCATION. Buy a beat up house in a good neighborhood and in time you can fix it up and have a nice place that will have solid value. Housing that is far from major urban areas lag in value because of commuting costs. It all depends on what you prefer. Where I live weather in the winter makes commuting suck. In warmer areas commuting is easier. So take your pick, I worked hard and spent big when I was young, it was tough but now I have a nice place and can afford some of the finer things in life.
:canada:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

i bought my first house 5 years ago when i was 19. ended up moving this year and was extremely lucky to rent my house out, they moved in 2 days after i moved out.
i have been renting for the first time this year and began searching for a new house the last month or so.
similar situation as you, i put an offer on a short sale, bank owned, b/c if/when the the market turns around, i could pick up the equity a little quicker.

renting does have advantages but around here, mortgage+taxes is similar to rent.
i wouldn't want to drive 1+ hours in bad weather. my commute is 15 min and thats enough.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

AFDavis11

I'm confused. You're renting now, so renting another place shouldn't be an issue, should it?

A 60 minute commute is a little far, but not hard around these parts. I'm just coming off of a 4 hour a day commute. You read that correctly. Two hours each way. It nearly killed me though.

First, you have to think about both you and her. Getting a place near good motorcycle riding probably isn't going to fly, unless there is a good reason to move her there too.

You can't buy squat around here for that kind of coin, so I would look at renting.

If you want to buy consider a new townhouse development. No down payments needed in a lot of cases.

When things pick up for your GF in the financial department look for buying a house per the guidance in the other posts.

And if you want to rent a townhouse in Stephens City, VA with an option to buy when the girl friend gets the foreclosure off her record, LET ME KNOW! :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

WenMark

Maybe try to find a lease option to purchase. Plenty of people still upside down on homes but want to find a seller. Credit is not an issue and you can usully move in for little down some even cheaper than renting. If they are renting ask about a lease option. Good Luck. I did mortgages for ten years and plenty of lease options even my own houses.

Detrich

dang... sorry to hear about this chris. hope u guys find a nice place.

fort meyer in florida has TONS of condos for dirt cheap. but, there are no jobs there- hence the over supply of housing. =(

i really like florida, but the cost of living there is pretty high too. hope it all works out or that a good opportunity presents itself soon.

6R Blackout

Making lemons into lemonade

Well Diluted if it makes you feel any better I am about to loose my house, me and the ex decided to work things out and now I find out that I am going into foreclosure in March. I don't have a clue as to what I am going to do, but for now I am going to enjoy it while I can. Good luck to you I hope things all come together for you.:noworries:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

Well, the places further away from work are in their own major urban area. I could probably find a job out there, there's a lot of government facilities out there.

The house I want to make an offer on in the current city is bank owned and could use a little TLC. It's certainly livable at this point but needs help. The area isn't a bad area and if the housing market recovers it could go up in value a lot.
If you are buying from the bank then that puts you in the drivers seat for the deal. Play up the fact that there other places available and get the best bargain. Because this is a bank there is no one to offend with low ball offers. Getting a detailed building inspection from a building engineer will give you heads up on any unseen problems and can be used to further reduce the price if it needs unmentioned repairs. As long as the neighborhood is good with no other empty houses or wrecks you can't go wrong especially if the place can be bought below market price.

Good luck.

:thumbup:The biggest risks get the best rewards

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member