Idle Spontaneously Increased

Senaca

While riding home in a 16 km highway/traffic situation.. I exited the freeway to find that my idle is randomly now around 2K, maybe a little bit above. This is while the engine was 80 degrees Celcuis, on a nice sunny afternoon about 26 degrees celcius.

I suppose I can adjust the engine idle speed.... I just though it slowly changed over time.. not all at once. It feels like its giving it a little bit of extra throttle, since engine breaking is substantially less effective.

Any ideas? :(

FitZ6R

It's pretty unlikely that the idle setting at the throttle bodies changed by itself, so I'd look at a few other things first:

The throttle cable could be binding or out of adjustment. You should be able to feel a few mm of play at the throttle grip. If the cable seems too tight, there's an adjustment on the cable end near the throttle / kill switch housing. Also, move the bars from side to side with the engine idling and see if the speed varies (binding cable)

If it's not the cable, a vacuum leak could be the issue. Listen for hissing noises and check for a detached hose or loose clamp at the intake boots.

Beyond that, I'd probaby bring it in to the dealer for warranty service, rather than adjust the idle and possibly mask another problem.

cbzdel

it it still a problem or did it just do it then go away??

If it went away I wouldn't worry much about it, with all the electronics on today's engine, the engine rpm could momentary rise for a number of reasons..

if it still is a problem, like said above check your throttle cable and make sure there is a little slack...

Senaca

Thank you for the prompt replies...

I have tried adjusting the slack when I got home, it didn't help any. I will see if turning the bars does anything.

The problem seems to still be there. I'm going out on it tonight for a bit so I will know better by then.

It's only 1 1/2 months old, 4900 kms on it (~ 3000 miles). :confused:

Maybe I'll just hand it over to the dealer and tell them to deal with it.

dolfan

I had a similar problem with high idle, then I realized a week ago I installed gel pro-grips and a few days later I installed yamaha blue/carbon bar ends which, is closer to the end of the grips and was binding. so I shaved off a little off the grip and sticking went away. i do not know if this helps.:)

Verranth

Could the fans kicking on make the bike idle higher? I think I've noticed an increase when this happened on mine.

The cables and snagging is also a good point.

Let us know what you find if you take to the dealer. =)

Spunky99

Maybe the choke coming on?