I really need help with my T Rex Frame Sliders

Aquajito

I tried to take pictures this afternoon when the sun was still out with my GoPro, but the details were too blurry, even on 7MP (it was handheld).

I got T-Rex sliders to go with my 2012 FZ6R. The new T Rex frame sliders are different from the older models, in that they attached to more than just one engine bolt. They're the ones pictured here.

I unscrewed the first engine bolt on the left side, and there was no "structural weight" on it, it came out fine. I installed the new bolt, and let the rest of the slider frame hang on that one bolt. I then removed the other engine bolt, and the same thing, no weight on it. Left side is now installed fine.

I assumed the same would happen with the other side, and when I went to unscrew the 2nd bolt on the right side, it felt like it had a little weight on it, but I figured the 20 or so other bolts would be just fine. EDIT: Here is the right side: Right side

NOTE: at this point, I was not supporting the engine, just like every other f***ing youtube video that has no problems with it.

Now apparently the engine's moved ever so slightly, and I can't get the 2nd bolt in easily, nor will the other minor bolts (M6's) on the right side (there are two of them). I started the 2nd engine bolt, but it didn't feel right, and I'm pretty sure the first two rungs or so are stripped inside the bike (bolts are fine).

I went to Autozone tonight to pick up this lift jack (I wasn't aware of the review at time of purchase, but it lifts fine). I've tried putting it under the engine and lift it slightly, but while the bike itself moves up, the engine (and those f***ing thread holes) didn't move at all.

Super frustrated, and I can't really financially afford anything catastrophic. Am I lifting in the wrong spot? Am I completely boned? I'll try and include pictures later tomorrow in the daily if it'll help, but again, I doubt I'll be able to photo the threads themselves.

Last edited:
Pictures of the right side might help ... not sure. I also have those same frame sliders, but it's been too cold here to put them on, so I haven't tried yet. I did notice that the instructions said that the engine should be supported during installation, but I wasn't sure how important that was.

Others that have installed these sliders ... have you supported the engine when removing/installing the bolts?

Here's a picture of the right side: imgur: the simple image sharer

I did not support the weight of the engine as I was removing the bolts. This was clearly stupid on my part, but I assumed it was one of those things they legally had to mention, just like they mention "CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ONLY" and "You REQUIRE a torque wrench" (for the record, I did use a torque wrench).

EDIT: That's how I left the right side. What you see hanging is the slider frame. This is exactly how I installed the left side. I took out the first engine bolt, replaced it with the TRex slider and bolt, and left it hanging there while I did the others. That first right bolt went in and out fine.

I just installed the new style t-rex sliders.
Your line up issue, isn't the engine dropped, but moved backwards (so it looks from pic). Your pic also looks like it's on a rear stand... And raising the rear is causing the hole misalignment I bet.

I used no special tools and installed while on kickstand nor supported engine, did not even read instructions, just went by pics.

Edit: 1 thing I notice in pic I did not do was take all the bolts out at once. I did 1 at a time and hand tight. Your pic I see every bolt is out but the 1 replacement bolt. I also started w the middle bolt myself. If your 1 bolt that is in, is more than hand tight, loosen it up.
Another option I would try is to use my right arm to pull on engine, towards front, then w left arm try to get that bolt in.

Last edited:
However you get this to work, or not... call them. Their customer support is top notch and if this is removing support mounts, they need to know.

Good luck.

I second that... Ask for Oscar at T-Rex. Excellent customer service.

A couple of the bolts are supporting, however, not *all* of the supporting bolts are replaced. So, if you have an alignment issue, it's most probably slight, and more a matter of tweaking it into just the right position.

Don't force it... take your time... The (original *and* replacement) bolts are designed for a tight fit, and some of the originals came out with residual red loctite on the threads, when I did my install (old style T-Rex), so don't assume you've stripped anything.

I just installed the new style t-rex sliders.
Your line up issue, isn't the engine dropped, but moved backwards (so it looks from pic). Your pic also looks like it's on a rear stand... And raising the rear is causing the hole misalignment I bet.

I used no special tools and installed while on kickstand nor supported engine, did not even read instructions, just went by pics.

Edit: 1 thing I notice in pic I did not do was take all the bolts out at once. I did 1 at a time and hand tight. Your pic I see every bolt is out but the 1 replacement bolt. I also started w the middle bolt myself. If your 1 bolt that is in, is more than hand tight, loosen it up.
Another option I would try is to use my right arm to pull on engine, towards front, then w left arm try to get that bolt in.

FFS. Why didn't I think of doing the middle bolt first... God I feel like an idiot. You are absolutely correct that it is on a rear stand, and that pathetic makeshift support is bricks n books. I will definitely try taking down from the stand first thing in the morning, and will update if that helped (I'm confident that it might though). I'm still concerned that if the first few rungs have been re-shredded by the new bolt, what impact that'll have on the rest of the threading though? Thanks a lot for your input guys, I'm otherwise lost.

Ok, so, here are some pictures that I took this morning.

3 pics

As you can see, I took it off the rear stand. Last night, I took the entire bracket off, and this morning, the first bolt went in perfectly, and then the 2nd (and the smaller ones) all got to about 3 rotations and then encountered major resistance.

I don't know how much these pictures can help. I do know that I need to shift the engine somehow, I'm just not sure what the next step is.

Ok, so, here are some pictures that I took this morning.

3 pics

As you can see, I took it off the rear stand. Last night, I took the entire bracket off, and this morning, the first bolt went in perfectly, and then the 2nd (and the smaller ones) all got to about 3 rotations and then encountered major resistance.

I don't know how much these pictures can help. I do know that I need to shift the engine somehow, I'm just not sure what the next step is.
Those look better aligned now, I'd try to put it on. As for the smaller re-placement bolts, they did not take too much to get tight at all.

I just finished this project. I didn't support the engine at all. The left side went great, but the right side was much more difficult. I noticed the engine shift ever so slightly with the removal of the frontmost bolt. I was able to get all of the bolts back in, but it was awful tight going for the final revolutions.

This is exactly what I was told today. As I mentioned earlier, I tried to force the second bolt in on the right side, but only went about 2 revolutions in before I decided it felt too weird. I ended up having it towed to my local mechanic who I frequent, and he essentially told me, "they're in... just don't even plan on moving them". Whatever, I'm fine if someone who knows more than me decided that was the best course to take as well.

This is exactly what I was told today. As I mentioned earlier, I tried to force the second bolt in on the right side, but only went about 2 revolutions in before I decided it felt too weird. I ended up having it towed to my local mechanic who I frequent, and he essentially told me, "they're in... just don't even plan on moving them". Whatever, I'm fine if someone who knows more than me decided that was the best course to take as well.

I'm glad to hear you will be up and running soon. It's a good thing I don't ever plan on removing those bolts again either!

Back