I Need Help Choosing-Knee/Shin Guards

Which Knee Shin Guards do you recommend?

• Total voters

CrazyCawi

So Id like a little advice from other riders who may have had one of these products or just knowledge about them in general!

First Up is:

Dainese Knee V Guard
View attachment 21598
Protection:
Autonomous knee protector with support straps
Homologation
Knee and shin EN 1621-1 Patent
Your RevZilla Price $69.00

Second Up:

Icon Field Armor Stryker Knee Guard

View attachment 21599

Road rash on your knees or gouged shins will ruin your month. Icon knows these lessons well. If you choseto hit the streets in anything less then full leather pants you need knee armor. Thats a damn fact. The Field Armor Stryker knee armor is equipped with d3o intelligent foam and feature full CE approval. The low-profile rider developed chassis fits easily under almost any pant with easy adjustment Velcro strapping to keep them in place. Wear them and stand a fighting chance of skipping that painful trip to the hospital, so you can begin the equally painful search for new clipon and rearset on ebay.

Features
EN 1621-1/1997 K+L TYPE B APPROVED KNEE AND LEG IMPACT PROTECTORS
BREATHABLE INTELLIGENT IMPACT DISPERSION SYSTEM
ARTICULATING INJECTION MOLDED SHELL WITH AIR FLOW CHANNELS
VENTED BIOFOAM AND AIRMESH CHASSIS
HYDRADRY MOISTURE WICKING LINER
Sold in pairs

Your RevZilla Price: $95.00

Third up:

FieldSheer Armadillo Knee Armor

2010-Fieldsheer-Armadillo-Knee-Protector---.jpg

•Breathable mesh lining
•Impact absorbing polyurethane armor
•Designed for a low profile fit under any pants
•Abrasion resistant
•Crossed elastic straps for a customized fit
•Stretch panels help secure armor in place
•Sold in pairs

Retail: $49.99
Sale Price: $44.99

fourth up:

2005 model Icon Field Armor Knee/Shin Guards

2005_Icon_Field_Armor_Knee_Shin_Black.jpg

The Field Armor Knee/Shin Guards from Icon are the missing link in the street riders bag of tricks
Form fitting construction with a chassis of impact absorbing foam and molded plastic that's sleek enough to wear under most denim jeans
Breathable mesh chassis
Impact absorbing plastic
Impact dispersing molded foam
Multiple stretch adjustment straps
Abrasion resistant slider panels

Price: $65

iSpoolin

I went with the older Icons, fit great, breath well, and I can barely feel them even when walking

Spunky99

CrazyCawi

I went with the older Icons, fit great, breath well, and I can barely feel them even when walking
how long have you had yours? do they loosen up over time? true fitting size?

iSpoolin

About a month, rode about 400 miles in them, they feel the same now as the day I got them. They are one size fit all, as long as your calfs aren't the size of a trailblazer you'll be good lol

Heineken

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

bump to the top for some more advice :)

cmikew2

I can't speak to the fit or quality yet but I've been researching knee guards in the last week. I've decided on the KNOX Cross Knee guards. I want them for wearing under my uniform and jeans, for to and from work and general riding around. They seemed to cut the best balance between protection and comfort. They are 70 bucks from here.
KNOX Cross Knee Guards from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Same place has some pretty great reviews of both Icon products on youtube. The ICON Field Armor Stryker Knee guard seems like the most stout out of all the products you listed but I don't think i'd want that big of a knee guard personally. Might as well get riding pants at that price point IMO. I'm definitely biased toward KNOX stuff though. It seems like a lot of companies use their stuff in their jackets, and its in my Teknic jacket and I'm a fan.

YouTube - ICON Field Armor Stryker Knee Review from SportbikeTrackGear com
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZfcrTog42s&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ICON Field Armor Stryker Knee Review from SportbikeTrackGear com[/ame]

cmikew2

Also FieldSheer Armadillo Knee Armor is not CE rated which I believe means it doesn't meet the European safety standards for motorcycle knee armor(or they never paid for the testing kind of like SNEL sticker on a helmet). Thats a deal breaker for me.

Detrich

I agree and I'm going to upgrade to the Knox too. They look like the best bang for the buck. I've been using A☆ knee guards for now- ie better than nothing. But the Knox look way, way better... ^_^

Another thing... Some knee guards are simply bulkier and are either difficult or nearly impossible to tuck under your full-height riding/ race boots. I think i saw a friend try on the Icons and he gave up, because they are super thick- which is good. But, they won't be very useful if you can't wear your boots with them...

PS i also eventually want to get a pair of these: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6958 i think protecting the fingers is more important than most ppl realize. at $250 a pop though, these are not cheap. =(

Last edited:

elikhom

If you decide for the dainese don't get them from revzilla, I ordered mine 10 days ago and nothing yet. You can get them on ebay and ship immediately. Wondering if I should cancel my order and buy the knee v guard and the hard shorts on ebay.

ajiribarren

I have both the Knox ones and the old Icon ones. I find the Knox are way more comfortable, the Icons rub my knees in a wrong way, and after a short time I can't wait to take them off.

But most importantly I believe is make sure that you pants (or jeans) are wide enough to accommodate such knee/shin guards. I don't think I have massive legs, but both shin guards barely fit under my Shift Torque jeans, and when I get into riding position they pressure my knees and legs a lot, sometimes to the point of discomfort.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Boolag

I wear EVS knee/shin guards over my trousers.
They can be a bit of a pain as I need to readjust them to sit good when I get on the bike.
But other than that, I've had them on during three lowsides..one at 80kmh and two at 40-50kmh, no injuries to my knees or shins, although the plastic knee guard is somewhat beaten up nowadays.

I reckon they're the main reason I continue to enjoy walking and bending my knees whenever I like.

I'm sure that other brands of similar design do just as fine a job. Better to have Em than not..just in case.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Detrich

Wear long, thick, knee-high socks underneath the knee guards to help them for more comfortably. Worth the investment.