I hate motorcycle sellers!

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Detrich

Yah. Despite all the good finds on CL there are equally as many deadbeats. At least u didn't drive all the way out there and then find out afterwards.

That has happened to me b4, and it really sucks. Way back when, I wasted an entire afternoon one time driving out to look at a slightly used R6, then got in an argument with my GF over it, and then turns out the seller misrepresented the bike when I saw it. It was nowhere near mint and damn thing didn't even start up.

Don't these assholes realize that lying gets u nowhere? lol.

Anyhow. What bike were u looking at?

Last edited:

Chucker

Good call. So often people get caught up in the emotional side of buying something they really want, that they decide to take a risk and end up paying dearly for it. If your gut tells you it's wrong, it's probably wrong.

I was in the same boat when I bought my '09. It was Aug. '10 and I found I could get an '09 for barely more than a used bike. Glad I did it.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

MaximumHP

What I've done in the past in that situation is go through my bank even though I may not need the loan. The bank in that case is more worried than you and check the title and lien to be sure everything is legit since that is their collateral. Then they cut the check straight to his bank, and his bank will refund to him what is left. Doesn't really cost me anything but time and some interest which can be minimal if you pay the loan off quickly. Sometimes the seller doesn't like it, but hey if you don't have a clean and clear title, you can't be picky and lose your leverage from that standpoint.

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

DragonBlu

If it smells walk away no matter how perfect the bike is. There are lots of nice bikes for sale with good private sellers. You did the right thing.

mtheartist

The same thing happened to me when I bought my 6r. Except I went through with it. In this case the owner lost some money. He posted the ad on CG for $4k. When I met with him and was ready to hand over the cash he tells me he has to pay off the loan at his credit union. So at that point I kept my money on hand and drove straight to the DMV, had him register it in his name to California, (out of state bike). Drove to a local branch and paid off his loan. Ended up paying $3600 via cashiers check for the payoff amount. Then drafted a final letter of sale and promise to hand over the title upon receipt and had it notarized. 2 weeks later I got the title. I guess I did get an honest seller or I may have been lucky but either way I got my bases covered with paper trail.

anson650

Good call. Walk away.
I spent six months getting a title out of a po. Now my first question is,"Do you have the title in hand?'.
Anson

Riccochet

I had to go through that with a car I bought. PO didn't have the title as it was still under loan. I met him at the DMV and had the registration transferred to me. Then went to the bank and had the loan transferred to me which I paid off. Whatever was left I handed him in cash. The title was sent to me. The process sucked, but it was a good deal on a car that I wanted.

JSP

Super Moderator
Only way I will do a deal when a loan is present is when it is through a local credit union/bank that has title on hand.

I have done it twice now myself when I sold my last 2 bikes. My loans were through local CU. Title is kept on hand at the branch. We walk in together, buyer hands bank the cash, bank hands over title and we both sign it right there. No waiting, Done deal.

DragonBlu

Only way I will do a deal when a loan is present is when it is through a local credit union/bank that has title on hand.

I have done it twice now myself when I sold my last 2 bikes. My loans were through local CU. Title is kept on hand at the branch. We walk in together, buyer hands bank the cash, bank hands over title and we both sign it right there. No waiting, Done deal.
Old Jay's gettin smart now. Atta boy!

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member