I am that guy now...too embarassing

sammy56

So for all the times I have read (and laughed)..."how can anyone not remember the kick stand"....I just did it! So it took me few years, maybe I would have been better off if I did it some years back.
Pulled into a gas station to cool down and shed some layers of clothing and all pissed off from following "Joe Slow" on a great road, I lean over to get off the bike and....oh oh...where is my stand...oh my...can't quite stop it....gentle now...I did it.:eek:
I did lay it down very softly and my saddle bags and top case blocked anything from any damage, but it was quite embarassing. Needless to say, I then needed a couple extra minutes to cool off!
Looks like someone was teaching me a lesson and reminding me to be more patient and understanding...lesson learned!

LB

creggur

Everybody does it at least once if they ride for any amount of time. Heck, I've done it a few times over the past 30 years of riding...

In my early 20's I'd gotten so good at slow riding at stoplights and stopsigns I could literally sit nearly still without putting a foot down. One day I was distracted by thoughts of work or something and forgot to put my foot down at a redlight... Just sitting there thinking of something (other than controling the motorcycle); muscle memory and habit balancing the bike and then I was stopped....bike actually sat there for a few seconds perfectly balanced and then.....Oh Crap!! And down I went..LOL... Talk about embarrasing.

Heineken

Elite Member

sammy56

Thanks for sharing your stories....some humility was good for me anyway.

LB

jcbrown630

I got off my SV650S at walmart a couple years ago, and set the kickstand. Unfortunately when the bars turned to settle the bike on the stand the bike moved forward enough for the stand to snap back up. The bike hit me square in the knees and upper thighs and took me down with it. Talk about embarassing. :eek::eek::eek:

wtgrant87

I try to avoid this by using my kickstand to shut off my bike. I pull in wherever I am stopping and just put the kickstand down and it shuts off instead of using the kill switch.

Y

yellowfz

I try to avoid this by using my kickstand to shut off my bike. I pull in wherever I am stopping and just put the kickstand down and it shuts off instead of using the kill switch.
+1

Says message to short with just +1 so should I ramble or just add some :D:):D:eek:.

Detrich

don't feel bad... it seems to happen to everyone... including me :)

when i first started riding, i also used to think i was the only one who stalled at lights. but, then yesterday i was driving to the store. and, there were two guys on supersports- one cbr and one gsxr, i think. and, u could tell they were exp'd riders- ie splitting lanes and going about their business. i was 1 car behind the lead car, who was behind the 2 of them at a red light. then the light turned green, and the gsxr took off and his buddy stalled and was anxiously trying to get his bike re-started. after 3 failed tries, he turned around and waved and 'i'm sorry' to the car behind (in front of me). then the 4th time he got it and zipped off...

i felt bad for him, but at the same time it was comforting to see that it happens to not just me... <lol> well, not anymore these days. :) but, it was good that it was sunday, and everyone was driving kinda slow anyways and no one was in any hurry. the car in front didn't even honk him, which was nice...

moral of the story is, it happens to everyone i guess. so, don't feel bad... :)

Last edited:

macky

I did it in the dealer's showroom! I was sitting on the bike I was about to buy with my wife and the sales guy standing there while we talked through the final details of the sale. We agreed on everything and I started to dismount the bike, so I cut the wheel and start leaning it over. It's coming over more and more to the point where I didn't think I could hold it any more. Right then the sales guy realized what was happening and quickly grabbed the bar and helped me get it upright. It was a couple inches from hitting the bike next to it, a brand new CBR600RR.

Now I double or triple check my kickstand before dismounting...:)

FZJ

Its one of those things that you think wont happen but will. Its never happened to me but I wont say it never will. The same with crashing. You might not think it will happen but it always does.

flyingminno

I bailed my last bike a couple times in my driveway at home. Second time it landed on my and I learnt my lesson! So now, I swing the kickstand out with my foot and keep my foot on the kickstand until i am completely off the bike. It works well in one motion and also assures me that the stand is firmly planted, or else I would feel it shifting before the entire weight was on it.

ForZa6er

i can say that this episode hasnt happened to me "yet" but this will remind me to remember the kickstand alot more

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

bjs045

OH NO! I'm that guy now too!

Just did the same thing. After already parking i noticed I could move the bike oover a bit. I forgot i kicked up the stand. Laid it down ever so gently :( very minor scratches on the slider and mirror. Good thing nobody saw! :p

Detrich

Forever Black or Back to Black is our friend :) About $11 for a bottle with built-in foam applicator tip, if I remember correctly, and you can get it at most car detailing supply shops. Forever Black is what I use. Use it with a cotton swab to gently touch up mirrors, turn signals. It's not a 100% match, but if done correctly will mask blemishes fairly well- esp on the carbon fiber edge around the rear seat cowel, I've noticed... <lol> Key is not to over-apply it, but do it in light touch up dabs along the lines of the scratches, letting dry, then applying some more until about right.

Also, if you go to the stationary store- ie Staples or Office Max, a $5 silver color paint pen (the ones that you shake that have the little ball inside) touches up the scratches on the levers and anything stainless steel pretty good. Again, not 100% perfect color match, but enough to where you ain't going to see it unless looking for it after you touch it up.

:)

Links: (www.bavarianauto.com, Autopia Car Care Products - Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polishers, Auto Detailing, We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store).

Last edited: