I am most sure we pay too much for insurance!

jearnshaw

Well I am about to toss in the towl and trade my 6r in. I do love the bike but I am getting tired of a false neutral inbetween 2nd and 3rd and on occaison it will jump from 2nd to neutral on accelaration.

But back on to the insurance though... for full coverage with a $1k deductable I am paying almost $1200 a year. And I am thinking of tradding in for a Triumph Street Triple R and with a $500 deductable I was quoted $740 a year.

So how is it a faster bike has cheaper insurance. I think Yamaha needs to change the status on our bikes

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

jearnshaw

Might be because in the eyes of the insurance companies I have only been riding a bike for less then 1 year. Even though with and without a learners permit it has a been a few years now and almost 20 to 30k miles I have racked up on different bikes.

And for the bike it is all stock and I am coming up on my next oil change at 4k miles. I have had the tech test ride a few times and he states everything feels fine. To me this thing is just way too clunky for a new bike.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

Like others said, just shop around. Each insurance company makes up their own rules about how they are going to charge or classify a bike. I find it pretty stupid personally. You'd think they would be smart enough to classify based on seat/handle bar angle and horse power as well. Any standard form sport bike is going to have less hp than a SS, until you get up into the bigger cc class bikes.

I have allstate and they seam to have their heads screwed on a little better than others when it comes to bikes. So many others have their heads so far up their butts it's just stupid. I personally like to shop around every couple years just to get a better rate. I did that a lot when I was younger and even switched every year for a while. I would save a lot that way.

The younger you are it seems the more you need to switch around to get a better rate.

As you get older you can start to switch around less which is kind of nice but I still like to get quotes each year.

Also the better your credit score the less you end up having to pay as well. That is one of the factors that they use to determine your rate.

So work on having a good credit score to help yourself out in the long run.

applejax

Well I am about to toss in the towl and trade my 6r in. I do love the bike but I am getting tired of a false neutral inbetween 2nd and 3rd and on occaison it will jump from 2nd to neutral on accelaration.

But back on to the insurance though... for full coverage with a $1k deductable I am paying almost $1200 a year. And I am thinking of tradding in for a Triumph Street Triple R and with a $500 deductable I was quoted $740 a year.

So how is it a faster bike has cheaper insurance. I think Yamaha needs to change the status on our bikes
Why would you not look at quotes for different insurance companies before buying the bike ? Seems kinda silly to complain NOW after agreeing to your current companies price.

06330i

Insurance quotes are a bit ridiculous on the fz6r. I was paying $108 a month on my fz6r, when I got quoted on a new z1000, it was $109 a month. Makes sense right? Lol

daddyrack

Premium Member

xleeb0y13x

I wound up going with a place that partners with Allstate who insures our cars. 570 for the year with just a permit no msf and 0 years riding. Maybe you could try something like that.

Riccochet

Give Erie Insurance a call. They're very reasonable on their rates. Things get real cheap the more policies you have with them.

Also, you're about 1.75 hours from me. If you ever wanted to meet up somewhere we can compare transmissions.

jearnshaw

Yeah I bought the bike before I quoted on insurance, my Honda shadow I was paying 120 a year for full coverage so I just thought the 6r wouldn't be that bad because it is below the r6.

I was thinking my bike sat on the showroom floor for almost a year I wonder if someone kicked the gear lever too hard or something.

Riccochet

Yeah I bought the bike before I quoted on insurance, my Honda shadow I was paying 120 a year for full coverage so I just thought the 6r wouldn't be that bad because it is below the r6.

I was thinking my bike sat on the showroom floor for almost a year I wonder if someone kicked the gear lever too hard or something.
I've had my bike pop out of second. That was mostly due to me not shifting fully in to second. Hell, I've missed second completely and put it in neutral. One of those "look around to see if anyone seen me being an idiot" moments. :zombie:

travisH3

My insurance is like 300 a year. I'm 20 years old, 19 when I bought this policy so any bike with more than 500 cc's is outrageous for me. Zero accidents, I have taken msf class when I was 16 and been riding since. I don't have full coverage, I have liability only, with fire and theft, and uninsured motorist. So basically I'm covered unless I wreck my bike my self. Full coverage for me jumped up to like 6-700 a year. It's about time to renew insurance so maybe they might cut me a deal since I have been good for a year lol. Prolly not though.

mdgreene2001

I've had my bike pop out of second. That was mostly due to me not shifting fully in to second. Hell, I've missed second completely and put it in neutral. One of those "look around to see if anyone seen me being an idiot" moments. :zombie:
happens ocasionaly to me to. I hate the shifter leaver, i think its a tad bit too long of a leaver, i have adjusted the angle of the shifter already and it helped a little bit. I want to get these Valter Moto Type 3.5 Adjustable Rearsets for Yamaha FZ6R (XJ6), PJ's Parts and shorten the shift leaver up with the adjustments so you dont have to move your foot up as far to shift gears.

ajskillz13

Make sure you're fully releasing the shift lever after you shift to second. I found this was the only issue I ever had when working between gears. It's easy for boots to hold the lever up slightly even though you think you've finished the shift.

Pinarello Rider

My insurance is like 300 a year. I'm 20 years old, 19 when I bought this policy so any bike with more than 500 cc's is outrageous for me. Zero accidents, I have taken msf class when I was 16 and been riding since. I don't have full coverage, I have liability only, with fire and theft, and uninsured motorist. So basically I'm covered unless I wreck my bike my self. Full coverage for me jumped up to like 6-700 a year. It's about time to renew insurance so maybe they might cut me a deal since I have been good for a year lol. Prolly not though.
I have State Farm and I'm paying $400/year with no collision (if I wreck the bike and it's my fault, I'm not going to ask you all to pay for it) either.

I was told that State Farm goes by engine size when quoting. The bigger the engine, the higher the price presumably because you are more likely to wreck a 1300cc supersport than a 600cc jalopy like ours. :) Don't know if that's true, but my insurance went up from my '02 883 by about $150 year.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member