Hunters

JSP

Super Moderator
Any hunters here?

Leaving tomorrow for around 9 days. (unless we tag out sooner) Will be out hunting with my pops trying to down some bucks. :cool: Hopefully we can find them tasty critters! :steve:

Wish me luck!

crobih

Do some white tail in idaho, great little villages in the mountains as well.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I love it! I need to get some time to scout the areas here in Indiana open to the public. It poses a challenge to be a weekend hunter on public land, but the reward is magnified. Good luck! A buddy of mine downed an elk last week with a bow. Totally jealous of him.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

deceptive gt

Last year was the first year in 15 years that I had hunted. It was also the first year I have ever Bow Hunted. I ended up with a buck on New Years Eve, was in the woods ten minutes. No tree stand.

My setups are:

PSE Brute X Skullworks
Blackout Arrows
Rage Tips

Gun:
Remington .243
100 gr Core Lokt
Leupold 3x9

I do take the pistols out with me every now and then just incase I get a chance to put one down with them. I have a Glock 22 .40 and S&W SDVE .40.

I hope to get two or three deer this year.

JSP

Super Moderator
Got one!!!

He is a little guy, small spike... but I wasn't going to pass him up. This was on our 3rd day out there. (My dad and I) We hiked close to 30 miles since out there all over the place. Was so tired and starting to come back down to camp and this guy popped up. Dropped within 5 feet of shooting him. Not too proud of the shot itself, but I shot him as he started to run and it is what it is.. hit him more towards the back and the bullet bounced and ended up through the opposite side in the front rib just under the skin. Must have nicked his heart or something for him to drop so fast. Made it a nice mess trying to gut him but it all turned out great.

I even got the bullet back. Was just under the skin on the other side. All mushroomed out. Thought that was neat.

We got him home yesterday, got all the meat out of him. Quite a bit for his size. Lots of steaks and we make a bit of burger. Not gamey tasting at all. Very very mild. The burger I mixed with some pork, beef and bacon. Bought a meat grinder and grinded it all together. Ate some last night and oh so dang good.

Heading back out tomorrow to see if we can get my dad one.

DragonBlu

I hunted for many years over there between Lapine and Silver Lake Jay. Those muley's are tasty. Good luck!

Sage

Love guns, love venison, never have hunted. I'd be way to impatient >.<

JSP

Super Moderator
I hunted for many years over there between Lapine and Silver Lake Jay. Those muley's are tasty. Good luck!
Very tasty! Got him just below Wickiup Res. Thanks!

Fizzi6ergal

Do you have the Upper Deschutes tag? Or do you have just the Western Buck tag???? That is what my hubby and I have is the Western Buck Tag. Our tag goes until the end of the month which is nice. We went down on the East side of Ashland. Almost got one down there. The hubby jumped the gun on a 3x2 as I was scoping out a spike. I guess you would have had a regular tag cause the Western Buck tag is a fork or bigger tag. But for all of you riding enthusiasts, the Green Springs Hwy(aka Hwy 66) out of Ashland is a FANTASTIC road to ride on. Dead Indian Memorial Rd is much better though!!!!!

JSP

Super Moderator
Do you have the Upper Deschutes tag? Or do you have just the Western Buck tag???? That is what my hubby and I have is the Western Buck Tag. Our tag goes until the end of the month which is nice. We went down on the East side of Ashland. Almost got one down there. The hubby jumped the gun on a 3x2 as I was scoping out a spike. I guess you would have had a regular tag cause the Western Buck tag is a fork or bigger tag. But for all of you riding enthusiasts, the Green Springs Hwy(aka Hwy 66) out of Ashland is a FANTASTIC road to ride on. Dead Indian Memorial Rd is much better though!!!!!
Upper Desch. Tag. Any visible antler.