How to save 5.75 lbs off your bike in 5 minutes

Hellgate

Simple, call the friendly folks at Motovation and get a Ballistic Lithium battery!

I had a little mad money so I sprung for a new battery on the R6. I've no idea if what I took out was stock as the bike is very much modded, but the new battery, an eight cell, is much lighter. The install took about 5 minutes, tops. The battery is about $156. $ per pound it is about the least expensive weight reduction mod you can do, aside from losing the center stand and tool kit. Will I be able to tell a difference? Probably not, but it is cool.

Once I hooked it up the bike fired right up, no fuss, no muss. Over the course of a year these are only supposed to lose 10% of their charge. I'd guess that for the FZ1 the weight savings would be even greater, closer to 7 or 8 pounds.

Answers to all of your questions: Frequently Asked Questions - Ballistic Performance Components

100_0217.jpg

100_0222.jpg

View attachment 22522

View attachment 22523

Last edited:

Hellgate

I cut the foam packaging the battery is shipped in to shim it within the battery box. Can of corn...

JSP

Super Moderator
Nice! I may pick one up for the R6 soon... my battery is about to kick the bucket.

motoguy82

these things sound like a good deal. I'll definitely consider one when my battery kicks the bucket! Thanks for the info.

XTRAWLD

Cool!

You can lose an extra 2 lbs for the toolkit alone. If you think you can live without most of the tools on an every day ride, I recommend ditching it!

Hellgate

Cool!

You can lose an extra 2 lbs for the toolkit alone. If you think you can live without most of the tools on an every day ride, I recommend ditching it!

Considering that most of the Yamaha tools are worthless that's not a bad idea. For tool I have a small selection that I bought at Sears; scewdrivers, openend wrenches, hex wrenches, etc.

ChUcK

I don't mean to Soapbox too much, but it is certainly funny to hear Americans worrying about a few pounds here and there, even willing to remove their emergency toolkit...

...for their ride to McDonald's and back.

Hellgate

This is my track bike and has nothing street related on it so it is fun to try to make it a little lighter. About 375 wet, 112 hp at the wheel, it flies.

XTRAWLD

I don't mean to Soapbox too much, but it is certainly funny to hear Americans worrying about a few pounds here and there, even willing to remove their emergency toolkit...

...for their ride to McDonald's and back.
:canada: over here.

I actually tour on my bike, and don't take small jaunts to the local Timmy's (or american lingo McDonalds) hangouts. I also have roadside assistance that will come and put it on a flatbed should I need to within 200km from my home free with my membership (and can pay a nominal fee if out of that range). If I need to have any repairs done to my bike, I'd rather have it towed home for free and fix it with proper tools from the comfort of my garage and having access to internet and a local parts store, than to worry about fixing it on the side of a road in the scorching heat or rain.

ChUcK

D'OH I didn't realize you guys were talking about track bikes. Sorry about that.

Seriously, you'd rather tow your bike during a tour? I had to do that once, when my rear tire blew out, and I felt like I had failed. To each his own road trip philosophy, though.

toddjcruz

I've removed about 20 lbs from mine without even using a screwdriver. Its the remaining 30 lbs that just wont go away!

I was able to successfully remove 280lbs from my bike, leaving it in perfect street legal running condition. I merely put the kick stand down and got off the bike.