How to remove and install Hand grips

Spunky99

elishatarvin

if u dont want to save the old ones then use a razor blade to cut the old one off. then spray alittle hairspray inside the new ones to help them slide on. in about 10 minutes, u are good to go

if u want to save the old ones then find something small (very skinny yet long flathead screwdriver) to slide in between the grip and the handlebars and break up all the factory adhesive. then slide the old one off and do what i said above with hairspray to install the new one.

some people also said u can use an air compressor to get the old one off. but i dont know what kind of adapter u would use for the nozzle to do that

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

elishatarvin

just use a little hairspray though. just enough to slide it on and get it where u want it. if u use too much it will take a real long time for the hairspray to dry.

F

FZ6R_Blue

Just wanted to let anyone know who does this in the future a REALLY good tool to help get the grips off..... Use flat screwdriver as suggested before but use a little bit of hot water on the top of the screwdriver as you work it in.

joloy133

I reused my grips after installing a new bar. You can use any air compressor, (nailgun), and get a straight wand at Lowe's or wherever. Work a small screwdriver after removing the bar end under the grip, then follow with the wand. Hold or pinch the opposite side so air doesn't blow out and give it a blast. Grip will seperate from glue but you may have to twist hard while pulling them off. Also note that not all hairspray is tacky enough, I had to re-glue mine.

FitZ6R

You guys don't use a glue or adhesive on your new grips?
I used grip glue, but hairspray works as well. The grips are a snug fit on the bars, so they just need a little bit of adhesion to prevent slipping.

vitrox

Brake cleaner works amazing to put grips on. The cleaner lubes its while installing, drys within 30 seconds, also it sticks much better than hair spray. I've have grips installed with brake clean and used my canyon dancer for probably 2500 miles of trailering. Grips are still holding strong.

vitrox

Brake cleaner works amazing to put grips on. The cleaner lubes its while installing, drys within 30 seconds, also it sticks much better than hair spray. I've have grips installed with brake clean and used my canyon dancer for probably 2500 miles of trailering. Grips are still holding strong.