How to drift

elishatarvin

First off, what's up. I'm new to riding and the forum so be nice. :D

Second, I am about to ask a question that I have searched for the answer to for quite some time (in this forum and on google). I have found some pathetic attempts to explain the "how" to this question, but they just do not go into detail enough.

Third, I know I am a newbie and need to ride for quite some time before I even think about attempting this. Believe me, I'm too scared to try and probably will be for a long time. I just like to know how things are done. I love to learn.

Fourth, the "thing" is.......drumroll please......DRIFTING!

What is the step-by-step process to drift a motorcycle? What is the best way to practice? Do you need special equipment of any sort (tires, etc.)?

And I actually have another question. I am looking to replace the ridiculous bunny ear mirrors and I read on this forum that r1 and r6 mirrors will work, but am I correct in assuming that I will have to drill a new hole and remove the metal "nut" (what is the technical term for it? lol) from the old hole and put it in the new one?

Thanks for all the help I know I am going to get. I have been reading on this forum for awhile now and love it. Hi, my name is Elisha (e-lie-sha, i'm not a girl lol) and I have a motorcycle problem.

Peace fellas.

ry-mac75

Welcome.

Do a search on mirrors - there are several threads, the search button is in the nav bar. Long story short - you can use zx-6r mirrors without drilling, otherwise you're putting holes in your bike.

As far as drifting is concerned - I really wouldn't bother. I'm also pretty certain that this bike doesn't have the power to do it anyway. If you absolutely must, book some track time and figure it out there - otherwise, nice knowing you.

Bigevildoer

Fourth, the "thing" is.......drumroll please......DRIFTING!
Might as well keep that drum roll going straight to your funeral...
Cars drift - they have 4 wheels so they don't have stability issues..

Motorcycles don't drift - they low side / crash.... bikes have 2 wheels, and if your wheels start to drift, you lose stability and traction. Down you go. Try watching a show like Stealth Rider - they don't drift. Closest they get is a rolling burnout. *MAYBE* some pro level stunt riders can drift, but I've never seen it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

porky45

are you talking about drifting or controlled sliding? like in motogp?

I don't have the answer, but If you're talking about motogp and sbk and what not, skidding/sliding is very common

Funkmaxtor

Pretty sure our bike is capable of drifting in the right conditions.

As far as how to do it. I'm no expert but you should lock the rear wheel while moving. While the rear is locked you need to pretty much go full throttle and let go of the rear brake. This should get the wheel spinning. Once the wheel is spinning you need to counter steer and control the throttle to keep the drift angle manageable.

Like I said no expert but if you do decide to try this be very very careful. This is not easy and very few people can actually drift. See video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSW6XYBEtXo]YouTube - Motorcycle Drifting and Burnouts.mov[/ame]

elishatarvin

Thanks for all the quick replies. Now that you mention it porky, both now that you got me interested in controlled sliding. If you youtube street bike or motorcycle drifting you will see what I am talking about.

Now a few other quick questions. I found some bar end mirrors that I like and I was just wondering if as long as I get 7/8" diameter mirrors they will work? Also, will r1 and r6 mirror block off plates fit on my bike? And another question (lol I am really taking advantage of this forum on the first day), if I powder coat the chain and sprocket will it have a negative affect on anything?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

elishatarvin

Never mind powder coating the chain, lol. Gotta replace it eventually anyway. But still thinking about the sprocket.
And sounds good on the pic Marthy.

Brock Kickass

For more drifting tips, check out the thread in this forum called "Busa Squid on Speeders." He'll show you exactly how to not do it. LOL!

Detrich

Dumb question, but can that GSXR really go 200mph? I thought there are speed limiters on production bikes preventing that...

Brock Kickass

A Busa should come pretty close to 200mph if you have a huge stretch and balls of steel to wind it out. There's no bike that can "regularly" exceed 200mph. The GSX 1000 will be noticeably shy of 200mph as far as I know, but I'm not completely sure.

Halon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DARsTJkqBXs]YouTube - Powerslides - Motorbike Drifting Lone Rider Mix[/ame]

pretty swank video, comment on the music if you want - people love it or hate it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Saw that the other day. Pretty slick riding!!! :thumbup: