How to buy a bike in another state?

Rat

Hi guys, please advise...

If I will get bike at OH dealership - what I should do to register it in IL?
I'm on temporary contract in OH so my driver license is from IL (I live in hotel and did not change address then).

I was at dealership yesterday and they say that they will not charge taxes and I should pay it in IL... But I'm still thinking how I can do it and where... DMV will charge it? If I will trade - so how will l pay taxes - from difference or from the bike price?

bmw675

i bought a truck in missouri once and took care of everything in illinois.
heres how my scenario was, i would assume it's the same for a mc.

they gave me a temporary license plate (mo), and a bill of sale that showed my total TTL that i would have to pay. i went to my local dmv with my bill of sale and they told me i owed a certain amount. wrote a check, they gave me an illinois temp tag and a receipt for my sales tax payment.

happens all the time, not really any different than if you would by a used vehicle from a private party.

forgot your last question: i believe it will be on the difference after trade that taxes are figured on b/c goods were being transfered. however, any cash back bonuses come off after the tax has been applied.

Last edited:

Rat

Thanks a lot, bmw4422.
I also got response from IL Secretary of State.
I should complete Tax Form RUT-25 and pay taxes to Illinois Department of Revenue.
How to Apply for Title and Registration

Yesterday I was at OH Yamaha dealer (Westerville, OH).
Their offer was - brand new 2009 R6 for my bike and $3400.
Dealership at IL where I bought bike said $6000 instead of $3400... LOL...
They are a little crazy I suppose... :D

However I'm still in doubt guys... Changing my mind all the time... Ugh...

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

bmw675

Yesterday I was at OH Yamaha dealer (Westerville, OH).
Their offer was - brand new 2009 R6 for my bike and $3400.
Dealership at IL where I bought bike said $6000 instead of $3400... LOL...
They are a little crazy I suppose... :D

However I'm still in doubt guys... Changing my mind all the time... Ugh...
yeah thats a little difference in price. i know it wont make up the difference, but did the $6000 include TTL. if so, thats good for about $600.
what kind of trade in numbers are you looking at, i told my self that im not upgrading until july of next year, (25 and insurance will be cheaper), i hope i have enough self-restraint until then.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Rat

Dealership guy was testing my bike a little by riding on a parking lot.
I saw that and thought - "WOW this is great bike!".
So I decided to keep FZ6R. Forever. That's it.
Perhaps will buy BMW S1000RR (like it very much) or CBR1000 as second bike and track toy in the future.

Thanks everyone for comments.

Last edited: